Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Downtown Chicago - River North) James Hotel

cclaser
By cclaser,
in

We are flying into MDW on 8/24, and considering spending 2 nights in Chicago.  The current plan is to rent a car, because we will need it for our weekend trip to visit family.    We would like to go to the Field Museum, do the architectural tour, and perhaps visit Navy Pier.  What zones would you recommend?  I see that South Loop/McCormick place has a 4 star for $87.   There are also a handful of 4.5 star hotels in the Water Tower zone that are reasonable in the $130 range.  Thank you in advance for your input.  Factoring in parking, etc., I am just trying to narrow things down, and make a good zone selection.  We will be traveling with a 7 year old child.

Thanks

Please follow-up your previous Hotwire Disney hotel thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip, then reply here and we will have a look at your post above.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

McCormick Place is generally considered to be 'out of the way' and it's not recommended unless you have reason to be there for a conference.

Is this for 2 nites upon arrival on 8/24?  If so, you may want to consider not renting a car until you need it and taking mass transit to the city upon your arrival... then taking mass transit back to the airport (or some other rental car location) to rent the car. (and remember, the entire family need not treck back to the airport, just sent one adult if that makes it easier on everyone, leaving luggage at the hotel so you don't have to lug it with you on the train).  From ORD to Downtown is about a 45-60 minute trip via the Blue line, depending exactly where it is you need to be downtown.  Not only does this save you on parking, but also saves you the cost of a rental for 2 days, as well as give you lower weekend rental rates (vs. midweek rates if you pick up the car prior to Thursday/Friday... assuming you are returning the vehicle before Monday)

Are your plans firm to spend the 2 nites in the city or is that just something that you're still thinking about?  Are you willing to book a room for double occupancy (even though you will be two plus your 7year old) or do you prefer to book for 2adults/1child (which may cost you a little more)?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

EDIT TO ADD: sorry for mentioning the Blue Llne and ORD... i see you're traveling to/from MDW, which AaronJB has updated the information below regarding the Orange Line

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your reply.  Right now, I am not firm in my plans to stay 2 nights at the beginning of the trip - 8/24-8/26.  I am just trying to get a feel for the costs - rental car, hotel, and parking.  After that, I'll make a decision, and may scale it back to just one night.  Our plane departure is scheduled for 8/30, So staying in Chicago 8/29 is also a possibility.  I'm not concerned about booking for double occupancy, if that is better.  I have been entering 2 adults and 1 child for my Hotwire searches.

That is a good suggestion on the Blueline.  My only concern is getting to the hotel at a reasonable bed time.    Our flight gets in at 8 pm on 8/29, and I thought it would be quicker with a car rental.

AaronJB could answer better than i can, but at 8pm i don't think there will be that much traffic, but even without traffic, and depending upon where your hotel is located, you would maybe save 15-20 minutes by driving.  A taxi door-to-door is another option.

Keep us updated on your thoughts and we'll move forward once you have decided on how long to stay and for which dates.

The issue that I have with Chicago in terms of a rental car is that there is no need for using the car when downtown and it only really becomes an expensive (rental cost, very expensive parking that is probably going to be $35-45 at a city lot or as high as $70+ at the hotel per night) hassle. In terms of the trip to visit family, are they in the Chicagoland area? Is there a Metra stop that goes reasonably near where they live where they could pick you up? 

The Blue Line to ORD is a long ride at about an hour-ish and money saved by not renting a car (and paying for parking) can go towards a taxi trip to the hotel if you are getting in late (and then if you are leaving at a reasonable time you can take transit.) The orange line to Midway doesn't take quite as long, so bit less of a taxi ride. Probably $32-37 +/- (probably towards the lower end if there's little traffic) for a cab ride from MDW.

Navy Pier I believe continues to renovate/update as they try to update it - which was really much-needed, as it tried to be very touristy but wasn't that memorable a tourist destination and at the same time didn't have broad/repeat trip appeal to locals. Still, I wouldn't spend much of a day there and Lincoln Park Zoo in the Lincoln Park area is a very nice zoo (and remarkably, remains free.) The Hyatt would be centrally located option in the city and that general area along the lake I've often thought was a great, central location to see the city as a whole.  What would be your desired max budget per night for this stay?

The Field Museum is South of the Loop, along the lake. There are hotels closer to it (although still a bit of a walk), but if you stay at those hotels, then you are putting yourself a trek away from Michigan Ave and other sights. It's best to remain centrally located.

Searching for 2 adults and 1 children for 8/14-16 on HOTWIRE

4* Navy Pier-MP $107 Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Roll-in Shower

>>> Hyatt Regency on Wacker. Gigantic convention hotel, but great, central location and a reasonable rate.

3.5* Navy Pier-MP $110 Free Internet, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access

>>> Likely the Doubletree Mag Mile. Other side of the river from the Hyatt and a couple of blocks further North. Beautiful newer Whole Foods on opposite corner.

4.5* Mag Mile-RN $120 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

>>>Not yet ID'd/reported to the board. Given the 4/5 tripadvisor rating, perhaps the Hotel Chicago has been upgraded to 4.5*?

3* Mag Mile-RN $125 Fitness, Complimentary Breakfast, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

>>> Likely Hyatt Place River North. Great location plus free breakfast.

Would any of these possible hotels be of interest?

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

OK, I have finally narrowed down our trip.  The plan is to stay in Chicago one night on 8/29.   I would like 4 star or better, and the max budget is 140.  What are the best options in areas close to the Magnificent mile?   I'm planning on renting a car for the earlier portion of the trip.  Should I drop this off at MDW, and take the Orange line into our hotel.  Or is parking for one night a simpler option?  I would like to visit the MSI on Monday, and do the architectural boat tour on Monday.  On Tuesday, go to the Field Museum before heading to the airport.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I'm seeing 4.5* River North Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower $108

>>> James

Rates are slightly cheaper for this night and $108 would certainly be a good deal for the James.

Additionally, there is a 4* in the Water Tower area for $96 w/Shuttle, Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business.

>> This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported and I'm skeptical that they actually offer the airport shuttle that is listed as an amenity as I'm not aware of any hotels that offer airport shuttle downtown and would be highly surprised if one did.

What appears to be the Doubletree Mag Mile (3.5* $87, Navy Pier-MP, Free Internet, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access) is also showing. If a pool is of importance, then I'd go with this. If not, then I'd go with the James for about $20 more and a few blocks directly West.

As for the car, again, it is going to be a cost (parking in the city is expensive and it's a hassle to drive around downtown in general.) However, the Museum of Science and Industry is a ways South. While you can certainly get there via public transit, if you are trying to fit a lot into essentially an overnighter in the city, having a car to get around and get the most in (especially if you are going to the MSI) may be worthwhile to you.

Thank you, I will let you know how it goes.  My thought  is to go to MSI on the way in to town when it opens.  A few hours at a museum is usually enough for a 7 year old, and that would give us a the bulk of Monday and Tuesday downtown.  I appreciate your help narrowing down the hotel selections.

No problem at all. Let me know if the potential James is not of interest and I'd be happy to look around and offer further suggestions. If you do stay at the James, Eataly is fun and about a block away.

https://www.eataly.com/us_en/stores/chicago/

The Museum of Science and Industry (which I haven't been to in a while - it's a bit of a trek) is really a fantastic museum that I think doesn't get quite the attention it should because it's not terribly convenient to downtown.

Definitely keep us updated and absolutely let us know if you have any city or hotel questions at all.

I haven't been to MSI in years either.  I'm just reminiscing, and I think my child will like it too.   If we also stay on the first night, 8/29.  Any recommendations in the same price range?   The thought is we could take transit in to downtown, and return on 8/30 to MDW to pick up a rental.   That could elinate the driving / parking downtown.  Thanks!

I just won The James for $107.  I'm excited to check out the hotel, and it's proximity to things.  Amenities are listed below, and thank you for all of your help!

Amenities: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower.

There's a listing for $107 for a 4* in the Mag Mile-Water Tower zone for the 25th, showing when I search for 2 adults/1 child. The amenities are: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Tennis nearby, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

If you click on the listing, there should be a note that this property charges an approximately $6.95 fee and a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating. This is likely the MileNorth. For $114 ($107 + $7 fee), well under your $160 budget, great location right off Michigan Ave a bit more towards the top end of the North Michigan Ave area and larger-than-average rooms.

Would the potential MileNorth be of interest? If not, let me know and I'd be happy to do some further research and offer other suggestions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]