Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Downtown Chicago - River North) The Godfrey Hotel Chicago

Citygal
By Citygal,
in

As always, I appreciate the wise guesses of this panel. :)  Looking for a 4 or 4.5 star hotel for 3 nights (8/11, 12, & 13).  River North is great, but also Wacker near Michigan is wonderful!  This is what I see if you could give me a guess as to which hotels they are!  These were Hotwire Easy View listings:

$168 / 4* - Magnificent Mile / WT:  FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower.

$179 / 4.5 * - Downtown RN:  FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access.

$168 / 4* - Magnificent Mile / WT:  FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower  (***Looks very similar to the other $168 / 4* above, except amenities differ a little.)

$153 / 4* - Navy Pier-Millennium Park:  FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

LASTLY -- I see two, 3* properties "River North" that include breakfast that I'm curious to know if either could be a Residence Inn or SpringHill.  Here is their info.

$167, 3*, RN -- FULL AMENITIES: Free breakfast, Free Internet, Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

$177, 3*, RN -- FULL AMENITIES: Free breakfast, Free Internet, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Business center, Internet access

Many thanks for any guesses you can offer!!  :)  I hope I haven't forgotten to give you any important info!

Mary

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Chicago Priceline thread (post what you decided for that stay within that thread, then reply to this thread and we would be happy to take a look at the above listing.) Closing threads with what you decided is greatly appreciated as it keeps the board organized and informs others reading the threads as to what was decided.

As for this stay, are you looking for something in particular in terms of hotel? I'm familiar with the area and would be happy to research and make recommendations based on what you are looking for.

Additionally, have you checked the site's Hotwire Hotel List for Illinois for possible matches?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Done.  (closed that previous thread -- my error in leaving it open)  

For the stay next week, we are looking to cap at $179 unless you tell me there's a fabulous-to-die-for hotel offered in the $180's.  ;)  Ideally something wonderful for less than $179 would make our wallets happy!! We love "River North" for location because there's a lot to walk to / from at night safely, but there are some hotels on Wacker near Michigan we have thoroughly enjoyed as well, and that's also a great location.  I can't think of all the names...a Hyatt, Wyndham (old 71), and a ?Hilton...?  (near Wyndham on Wacker).  We LOVE the Residence Inn on Dearborn (breakfast is a perk), and have stayed at the Godfrey, which was lovely.  Not interested in the Doubletree (River North).  We thought that was a tired property.  We're fairly open and would love suggestions!

I have looked briefly at the amenity sets and tried to compare to the Hotwire and Priceline hotel lists, but it makes me dizzy!  LOL!  

Yes, I always use your embedded links when I book or hunt around.  :) 

Thank you!

Personally, I tend to favor the River North area, given the fact that it offers convenience to Red Line stations, there's tons of restaurants and nightlife nearby and it's not a far walk from Michigan Ave. Personally, as for Michigan Ave. shopping, I think I'm not so much a fan from the standpoint that while window shopping is fun, a lot of it can be found elsewhere, for less (and less sales tax in most areas than downtown Chicago.) For me, Lincoln Park - which offers the zoo, as well as tons of restaurants and smaller, local shops (not to mention easy walk to Old Town) - is an area I'd recommend instead.

I'll also agree with you in terms of that spot near the river and Michigan Ave bridge (Wyndham, Hyatt on Wacker, etc) from the standpoint of being very central to the city as a whole.

Let me also note this: the first night of this period when viewed separately is considerably cheaper. It may benefit you to split the stay in this case, but it becomes whether or not you have any interest in likely having to switch hotels.

Some of what I'm seeing for 8/11-14:

HOTWIRE: 4.5* Mag Mile N-WT $161 Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

>>> Likely Intercontinental.

HOTWIRE 3* River North $177 Fitness, Complimentary Breakfast, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

>>> Likely Hyatt Place RN. 

HOTWIRE 3* River North $168 Complimentary Breakfast, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower

>>> The Holiday Inn Express Cass, downgraded since last reported, would be my guess. I'd far rather suggest the potential Hyatt Place for a few bucks more if breakfast is important. This property is in a great location, but it was a bargin/older property that HIE came in and renovated. It gets fine reviews, but it is - at its core - an older building with small rooms.

HOTWIRE 4* Water Tower $168 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower

>>>Likely the Allerton. I wouldn't recommend this property, especially when you have better options around the same price point.

HOTWIRE 4* Water Tower $168 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower

>>>Likely Knickerbocker. Great location, but I'd rather the Intercontinental for a few bucks less.

I'm not seeing a 4* for $153 in the NP-MP area, but I am seeing a 3.5* with what appears to be the same amenity set. Just to confirm to make sure that we are looking at the same listing when I'm researching, was this the listing in question?

Let us know your thoughts on the above (if any of the potential properties are of interest, but also whether splitting the stay is an appealing idea given how much cheaper the first night is) and we would be happy to offer further thoughts/suggestions.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

You are so kind to offer all that feedback!  Hmmm...what to do, what to do!  I was really hoping to see the James or Godfrey pop up as a likely guess for those prices, but the IC looks like a nice choice.  (I talked to my husband and he's not real keen on switching hotels, if that should be the end result of splitting the request, but I would be curious to know how much we could save. I may play with it!!)  So from the possibilities above, I think we may choose what's likely the "Intercontinental."  We toured it a few years ago and it's certainly HUGE with a fabulous location.  I just read some great reviews on it as well.  

Much appreciation!!

It actually looks fairly easy to identify that listing is the IC at 4.5 stars, RN / WT, because the other listings I'm seeing at 4.5 stars seems to say "Boutique hotel" and IC is certainly not a boutique hotel, correct?  If I did everything correctly, it appears we would save $38 by splitting the reservation.

1 hour ago, Citygal said:

it appears we would save $38 by splitting the reservation.

Would this be worth SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID (to both you and your husband)?

if so, please list the full amenities associated with each leg of the stay and we'll have a look, but if the inconvenience is not worth the savings, then there is little point in doing the research to confirm the property offered for each nite.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Back at this project this morning.  Had to unexpectedly leave yesterday before we could make a decision.  Of course, with my luck, I no longer see what you believe is the IC for $161.  :(  We also decided the inconvenience is not worth what was yesterday's savings of $38, so we will stay put for all 3 nights (8/11, 12, & 13).  After reading some reviews about the Hyatt Place (River North on Illinois?), if that hotel could possibly be recognized among the choices, I think it would suit us well.  I've mostly been using your Hotwire easy view link because it's so easy to navigate.  Even though it's only a 3-star property, it looks lovely and the first dozen reviews I read are good.  Could you make a guess for me on that one?  IF you see another listing that is amazing, please let me know!   (trying to cap at $180, but a tad flexible.)

Thank you so very much!  I hope this paragraph includes everything you need from me.  

What I'm seeing today:

4* Water Tower HOTWIRE Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower $166

>>> Likely Knickerbocker. This property was renovated not that long ago and is in a great location, but rooms are on the small side.

4* River North HOTWIRE Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly $182

>>> Please confirm on the detail page for this listing, there should be a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating (4.5/5 and 4.5/5 circles shaded). This is a possible match for the Dana Hotel, which - while slightly over your desired max - would be a very nice result.

4.5* NP-Millennium Park $197 Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Spa

>>> Possible match for the Virgin, which is a newer hotel.

Unfortunately, what I thought was the Hyatt Place River North yesterday appears to no longer be available - when I click on it, I'm getting a "no longer available" message.

Would any of the above be of interest?

I've been tossing these options around all day and found the Trip Advisor reviews for the "Dana" to contain quite a few people speaking of hiccups with keys, elevators, staff, and temperature of the room.  I don't want to monopolize your time, but I am feeling so undecided on these choices.  Would it be too much trouble for you to see if there's anything new this evening?  I see 5 possibilities through Hotwire Easy, when I choose 4 or 4.5 star, but gosh if that Hyatt Place (3*) popped back up, we'd grab it.  Some of these 5 may be ones that showed up this morning, but honestly all of the amenities listed from a comparison standpoint, make my head spin!  You can probably glimpse at it and immediately differentiate what's what!!  I'd rather not choose the Allerton, and the Knickerbocker seems just so-so to us.  Guess we've been spoiled with the above mentioned hotels that we have already tried!!  

Tonight I see in our price range:

$166, 4*, MP, FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

$168, 4*, WT, FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

$168, 4*, WT, FULL AMENITIES: Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

$172, 4*, RN, FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

$181, 4*, RN, FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

If this request is getting too involved, I completely understand and we will just figure something out on our own!  You have already been so helpful!!  

Thank you,

Mary

Tonight I'm seeing:

4* Navy Pier-MP $164 Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower

>>> Likely Club Quarters Wacker/Michigan. Great location, but small rooms.

3.5* RN $166 Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower

>>> Likely Holiday Inn Mart Plaza. Location is somewhat out of the way, but reasonably nice Holiday Inn where - given the location - a number of rooms do have great views (as does the lobby bar.)

4* $168 WT Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower

>>> Knickerbocker.

4* $168 WT Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower

>>> Allerton

4* $181 RN Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

>>> Dana

4* $172 RN Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Roll-in Shower

>>> Likely Felix, which I wouldn't recommend. I'd personally rather the nearby Dana.

4* $186 Navy Pier-MP Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

>>> This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported; a guess is that the Wyndham Grand Riverfront may have been downgraded to 4* from 4.5*, but it may be something else not yet reported.)

4.5* Downtown-MP $197 Boutique, Restaurant, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet

>>> My guess is that the Chicago Athletic Association may have been upgraded to 4.5* since last reported to the board.

Unfortunately, the potential Hyatt Place listing that I was getting the "no inventory" message earlier is no longer showing at all. The potential Virgin that was showing earlier is also no longer showing. Prices for these dates also seem to be moving slightly higher.

Please keep us updated with what you decide.

YAHOO!!!  Many thanks for all of your time and help with this reservation!!  After another consult with hubby, we decided to shorten our stay by one night and save a little since the room rates were more than we anticipated.  I re-read your comments above and compared the amenities of a 4.5 River North property that popped up for our revised two-night stay, to the hotel list on this site. (HOTWIRE) I was LUCKY enough to score "The Godfrey" which was actually my guess!  :)  Woo hoo!! I'm very pleased!  We stayed there shortly after they opened and enjoyed it very much!  Our rate was $183 for the following amenities:  FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Internet access, Spa services, for the nights of 8/11 and 8/12.  **On a side note, when I made a decision to choose that $183 option and clicked on "continue," it took me to the reservation page, and a pop-up said, "The last guest got The Godfrey" -- which further excited me that my guess was correct.

Thank you again for so much guidance with this trip -- you provide a unique and valuable service!!  

Mary

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and are looking forward to your return visit to this property.

NOTE for the future that the "Last person got ___" information shown by HOTWIRE is in reference to the last person who bought a hotel at this star rating in the zone, and not necessarily in any relation to the underlying hotel currently being offered, so don't use this to anticipate what it is that you are likely to receive.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Have a great stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]