CA San Diego Omni Downtown

TBQ
By TBQ,
in

The check-in was very smooth. Priceline was noted, but in an unobtrusive, low-key way. My request for a nonsmoking King was granted, and when I presented my Omni Select card, I was given the hang-tag voucher for the morning wake-up amenity (details below). The bell and door staff were courteous and seemed genuinely pleased to have me there :)

The last time I was here, the hotel was very full, and because it was only a one-night stay, I was placed in a full suite! This time, my regular room was just fine, on the 12th floor, with a city/Petco Park view. The rooms are decorared in soothing sand/beige tones, with a large wooden "wall-mounted" headboards and really sharp-looking chrome lamps (with excellent sight for reading). The matress was very conmfortable and had a duvet-style covering in addition to the triple-sheeting.

Even though the hotel opened in March 2004, the large windows have a side section that opens, to let out natural breezes. The drapes do a good job of blocking out the light.

The armorie holds a 27" Panasonic TV (flat screen, not flat panel) and a Panasonic DVD player (so ring your favorite, and save on the in-room movie charges, although a goo selection of those is available, as is a Nintento game system).

One of the two phones has a cordless handset and speakerphone, and a really nice touch is that your room is assigned a unique, direct-dial number (such as 619-xxx-xxxx) for the duration of your stay.

The barhrooms also feature modern wood shelving and wood mirror frame, with handsome Kohler fixtures and chrome accessories. The tub/er has a massage head and an extended, curved shower curtain rod, similar to Westin's Heavenly Bath (so that the curtain doesn't cling to you) :)

The in-room coffee maker was supplied with two packets of Wolfgang Puck coffee. Room service is offered 24 hours (but the limited, late-night menu kicjs in at 10:00 pm, not 11 or 12). Minibar prices were moderate.

The restaurant (which I didn't eat at on this stay) is a full branch of McCormick & Schmick, the quality seafood restaurant group. Last time, I had a yummy crabmeat fritata. Prices are moderately high, bit certainly not outrageous.

For the morning amenity, you are given a hang-tag voucher where you choose one hot drink and one cold drink, and (for weekdays) a choice of the Wall Street Journal, USA Today or the local paper (weekends, you automatically get the SD Union Tribune). On the back, you can add an extra-cost option (bagel, English muffin, etc). After you mark what time you would like delivery, you hang the tag on your doorknob. A nice touch is, if you hang the PRIVACY tag on the knob, they will leave the tray outside your door without disturbing you.

The SD trolley stops around the corner from the front door. That stop is on the Orange Line - make an easy transfer to the Blue Line to get to places like Old Town and San Ysidro (Tijuana). An all day pass ("Day Tripper" ticket) is $5 for one day, $9 for two days (I'm 99,9 % sure that the day pass works on the busses too, but check to be sure).

• 2 years later...

I just wanted to report that the Omni San Diego is a great value for $108/night. As others here had mentioned, the walls are thin, and we could hear our neighbors as they chatted, but this was the only complaint I have about our stay.

The rooms are spacious. If you request a quiet room, they may place you in a room facing away from the train tracks. You can still hear them, but it's not that loud, and closing the wondows helps reduce street noise.

The pool area is great. The lounge chairs are really comfortable, the servers are attentive, and the water is not freezing.

The staff was friendly, and sent us some chocolates and a personalized apology letter after we asked the front desk about the construction noise we heard upon check in-- it only lasted an hour, and didn't resume the rest of our stay.

I recommend parking at the garage immediately north of the property. It's less expensive, and might actually be faster than the lines we encountered waiting for the valet.

I'd definitely stay here again.

• 8 months later...

This is my first post on ANY site regarding a hotel stay, but this site was so helpful in "teaching" me how to bid on Priceline - I had to share our good fortune. The Omni San Diego was beautiful! We stayed 4/17-4/19 and won our bid for $73 per night (regular rate was around $219/$220).

I'd read that if you mention you're celebrating a special occasion, you may get an upgrade. Well, WE DID! We reserved a double non-smoking (for me, my husband, and 2yr. old) - and, upon our arrival we were upgraded to a junior suite (regular rate is around $400 p/night!) Our arrival was wonderful. We were greeted with friendly faces all around and anyone who was available to help us offered to do so. There was no mention of Priceline (well, there was on the phone when I called to confirm & note our special occasion - but not upon arrival), but it was noted on our registration slip - which made me nervous as I thought it might be synonomous with some taboo room.

I could go on and on about the great things we experienced but, for the sake of time, here are the highlights:

- room upgrade

- crib for our daughter

- ocean view room

- complimentary wine & truffles (you can ask for substitute if you don't drink) w/ apple juice for our daughter

- cookies & milk delivered to our room for our daughter - that was sweet :)

- large restroom

- turn-down service (offered for Omni Select Guests which is FREE to join through their site)

- express check-out

- good (yet a little expensive) room service menu -- great portions!

- nice pool

- large & clean fitness room

- convenient, and less expensive than valet, parking directly across the street

Okay, here were the downs:

- thin walls, but the neighbors weren't bad at all

- ummmm...that's it!

We had a great time and would highly recommend the Omni to future travelers.

• 1 year later...

Great value at $80 plus taxes/fees through Priceline. Room was modern and comfortable. Based on posts I saw on this Web site, I joined the Omni rewards program and, as a result, received free Internet, and free breakfast drinks delivered to our room (need to pay extra for food). Based on reviews I'd seen on Tripadvisor.com, I requested a city-side room, rather than one facing the bay, since the latter would be closer to the trollery/train tracks (noise from trains is a problem mentioned in reviews of several area hotels). Glad I did. We did have a nice view of Petco Park. Not sure if noise from the park would be a problem on game nights (though on the plus side, if you go to a game you have a special causeway to the park just for Omni guests), but the games usually don't last that late. Hotel is easy walking distance to restaurants and shops in the Gas Lamp Quarter, though we walked along the bay, by using the steps that go up and over the convention center, and at at a seafood restaurant near the USS Midway.

• 2 months later...

My favorite hotel in downtown San Diego. The staff is truly awsome and really go out of there way to accomadate.

** SIGN-UP for the OMNI hotel membership and get lots of perks and FREE INTERNET!!!***

I travel a lot with the military and rarely have time to relax. The front desk staff always went out of their way to get me a corner room with a large flat screen TV so I could kick back and relax. Love the location and the staff. Rooms are perfect, and the sevice is impeccable.

If you like Thai food, I highly recommend "Royal Thai" just a block or two to the North.

The lobby staff also will provide complimentary bottled water if asked.

-AL

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]