Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Detroit (Belleville) Hampton Inn Detroit/Belleville-Airport Area

Canada2012
By Canada2012,
in

Well I am out $350 as I was bidding on PRICELINE and started with a 4* for Downtown Detroit and went down to a 3* Downtown Detroit. When I added Belleville as a rebid which has 2.5* I ended up with the Hampton Inn Belleville/Detroit Airport. $350 for two nights Fri May 20th=Sun May 22nd.

I called Priceline right away and they said its non-refundable. Not sure what happened as I sure did not click 2.5* to bid on. The guy contacted the hotel who refused to cancel. So I just bit the bullet and lost $350 Canadian. Called the hotel to inform them that they can make more money as I will not be arriving. There is no way I can get all the way out to the hotel from Downtown Detroit and then keep going back and forth by cab as I would be arriving by train at 10pm friday. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else but it is a first for me. So I will switch to HOTWIRE instead now. It is only $350 but still. Sucks to take a hit that much. 

Sorry to hear of this bidding mistake.

If you're confident that you only had 3* or higher selected on your bid i would recommend contacting PRICELINE again and insist that you did not have 2.5* selected and were only wiling to stay at a 3* or higher rated hotel and ask them to see your bidding confirmation page where you agreed to a 2.5* or higher rated hotel.  They should be able to produce a screenshot of you're agreeing to a 2.5* hotel, but if not, i would stand more firm that you only agreed to a 3* or higher and that they cancel the reservation since this falls short to what you had bid (although i'll add that 'challenges' like this almost always are the result of user error, but i know you're an experienced bidder, which is why i mention that if you're confident you didn't have 2.5* selected that you request the screenshot (or other proof) from them)

Can you please also add a reply here indicating the room rate per nite so we can add this information to the topic title.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

If you pursue this let us know how it ends up.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It is pointless to bother. Taking the hit and moving on is best. It is a lesson learned. There is no way I am going to take a $60 cab ride from downtown Detroit to the Airport area then another cab ride the next day downtown and then back etc. I will spend more on cab rides than the cost of the room. Mistakes happen on both ends, in the end it is all about business and sometimes when a company makes a mistake the customer still pays. I talked to them twice, the second time the guy said he contacted the hotel manager who said no the reservation cannot be canceled and refunded. I called the hotel to talk to the manager and no manager was on duty. So to me it is just the procedure the CSR at Priceline was to go through. It is just going to be a drawn out process of them telling me that all results are final. It is a $350 lesson learned. I will just move on from it and use Hotwire more. The rate I bidded was $140 the first time when it was just Downtown Detroit 3* and then $150 when I added Belleville 2.5* bidding for a 3*. I told the hotel to cancel the reservation as I won't make it, and explained it to the woman who she said yes you would have a hard time getting there from downtown unless you took a cab or drove. I am taking the train from Toronto to Windsor. So I said it is better for business to cancel and the hotel can fill that room and make money instead of having an empty room.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]