Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Navy Pier - Millennium Park) Hyatt Regency Chicago

davdell0812
By davdell0812,
in

Looking for help ID'ing 3* hotel in Chicago Downtown area with the following amenities:

Complimentary Free breakfast

Free Internet

Business center

Accessibility

Accessible for visually impaired

Accessible for hearing impaired

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

With the free breakfast my guess is that this property is the Holiday Inn Express - Cass Hotel.  If so, I would like Aaron JB opinion on the hotel and the area that it is located in.

Thanks!

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Orlando Hotwire thread (post what you decided for that stay within that thread, then reply to this thread.)

Also, I'd be happy to offer other suggestions for this stay and search for alternatives. Are you driving in or flying? What is your desired max budget per night?

Additionally, if you need city recommendations, please let me know likes/dislikes.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks for the reply.  I closed the Orlando thread.

We are flying in to O'Hare.  We would like to avoid renting a car and use mass transit while in Chicago.  Max budget per night would be around $175.00 

First time to Chicago so open to suggestions as to what are "must see".  Right now only thing we have on our list is a Wrigley Field tour and to find the best deep dish pizza in the city.  Any help as to the insight of the above named hotel and what to see and do is appreciated.  Of course I will use this site and/or your sister site to book.

Thanks again.

If you use BiddingHelper.com and then click on "Hotwire Easy View", then click "Full Amenities", are you seeing:

Complimentary Breakfast, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower

-- If so, I'd guess the Cass has been downgraded to a more realistic 3*. The Cass is a fairly basic property (it was a budget property that had been there for many years and was bought/renovated and turned into a Holiday Inn Express. The location certainly couldn't be better; you're a block away from Michigan Ave and an easy walk from River North.  Rooms can be small here and I think that likely is an issue carried over from what this property previously was - to be exact, the smallest rooms here are 145 sq ft.

Other options:

PRICELINE EXPRESS

3.5* Downtown-River North $143 (on the detail page for this PRICELINE EXPRESS listing, there are a number of bed choice options, including one with city view for about $5 more) Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center, No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

-- Not yet ID'd/reported, but a *guess* would be the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza

If the Holiday Inn MP:

Pros: Many rooms here do have good views, given the location of the property. Some rooms do have river views, although that is an upgrade. If you do not get a river view, the bar next to check in has fantastic views of the river. Is attached to the Mart Plaza which does have an "L" station on the other side. Not too far from dining and nightlife in River North.

Con: While the location is not bad in some regards, it is out of the way in the SW corner of the zone. Michigan Ave is a further walk away. No breakfast, like at the Cass.

3.5* Mag Mile-Gold Coast $127 Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center, No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

-- Possible match for the Indigo.

Pros: The Gold Coast area is quite nice, with nightlife and a number of restaurants. It is not that long a trek from here to the Lincoln Park Zoo area and the Old Town area. There is a subway station around the corner and it's not a far walk from here to the very top end of the Michigan Ave area.

Cons: This is definitely at the very tip/top of the zone and it is definitely not central to the city as a whole.

So, the Cass has breakfast and first-rate location, but small rooms. The Holiday Inn MP and the Indigo don't have central locations, but have larger and a bit more upscale rooms. 

Unfortunately, rates are high for these dates and there are not a ton of options under $150. I checked different combinations of these dates to see if there was a way that breaking up the stay could offer a better per-night average, but there didn't seem to be enough of a difference.

In terms of pizza, I personally am not really a fan of Uno's/Dues.  I prefer Lou Malnati's both in terms of pizza and the dining experience. I'm not a huge fan of Navy Pier - it's really very much a tourist trap. It is being improved through some renovation and updating, but I'd rather suggest spending time in Lincoln Park/Old Town. The LP Zoo is also a great, free zoo. Art Institute is a must and Millennium Park is right next door. Chinatown can be gotten to via the water taxi. Let me know likes/dislikes in terms of food recommendations.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions before booking. 

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  

I'm leaning toward booking the 3* with breakfast and hoping that it is the Cass, but I would also like to know if there is a suburb of Chicago that you'd recommend we stay in as I know I could get a much better rate on the hotel.  I'd really like to stay in an area that has an 'easy' short commute to the city using mass transit.

Thanks again.

The issue with the North burbs is that the way that Chicago is, you would have to go downtown (about 55-60 minutes), then wait for a train to the North burbs, then it's another 45 minutes North/NW of the city. The problem then becomes this: it's not walkable from the train to hotel in most cases. You're either going to have to take a taxi (not a long trip, but a trip) or hope the hotel has a shuttle.

I actually really do like the North suburbs. They offer a lot of shopping, restaurants and some sights (such as the Chicago Botanic Garden, which is a burb), but if someone was flying in to ORD and not driving, it would be such a pain to take the trip to just get to the North burbs that I don't recommend it/don't think it's worth it. Also, the way the North suburbs are, it's difficult to enjoy what they do have to offer if you're not driving.

You can likely get a 3* in the North Burbs for $55-65 and can definitely get a 4* for $86 (there is actually a 4* in the Northbrook area on HOTWIRE or $86.) If you try bidding, you can likely get a 4* for somewhere in the $70-80 neighborhood.

Again though, I really wouldn't suggest this area unless you're driving. And if you do rent a car, then you have to factor that cost in, as well as the time and cost of taking the train downtown and driving from ORD to the North Burbs, which is not a quick drive, either. That does ultimately add up. So I definitely like the area and recommend it often, but I think my worry here is that it's really only something I'd recommend if you're driving and if you rent a car that adds up. 

Unfortunately, the ORD area for these dates (convention out there?) is more expensive (for most hotels) than downtown.

If you do still want to explore the option of the North suburbs, please let me know and I'd be happy to outline the options (but again, without a car it's really not worth exploring, especially if you're flying in.)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply.  We are going to take your suggestion and stay in the city.  I have booked a "cancellable" reservation at the Acme for a total of $568.00.  I'd like to get something a little cheaper, but so far neither Hotwire or Priceline has an offering that seems worth taking a risk to get a less quality hotel.  Can you give me your thoughts on the Acme as far as quality and location?  Trip Advisor reviews give it a 4.5 rating so I feel good about that but, as mentioned, I'd like to get something a ittle less expensive.

As for food, we set on trying the deep dish pizza and possibly head to little Italy for additional restaurants.

Thanks again for your time.

While you're awaiting AaronJB's next reply, i'll point out that our sister site RefundableRates.com is great for finding back-up reservations and see your options, as the interface makes it easy to see how much more/less it would cost to go up/down in star rating or up/down in price. :wink:

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply.  I've been using this site for many years and never knew about the RefundableRates.com site.  It is incredibly helpful.  

I did notice a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal this morning with the following price and amenities:

3 Star Hotel in Chicago Loop - Grant Park Area for $167/night

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Free Breakfast

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

My guess is that this is the La Quinta Inn and Suites Downtown Chicago.  This guess is based strictly off of the regular rate price, satisfaction rating, and free breakfast amenities. Wondering what are your thoughts on this property.

Whatever I decide to do, I will book thru this or your sister sites.

Thanks again

The Acme used to be a Comfort Inn property until it was purchased and renovated a few years back. The location is certainly good in terms of being near River North and Michigan Ave, but rooms are a bit on the smaller side. 

The view that I have with Chicago is this: location recommendation is more a consideration towards having things to do at night nearby and to be at least moderately convenient to the city as a whole. At night there are parts of Chicago that are surprisingly quiet even for someone familiar with the city. On weekends, there are parts of the Loop where you may see common things like Starbucks and McDonald's closed. These are perfectly fine areas, but they are office-heavy and as a result, when people aren't in offices, these areas can get remarkably (for a large city) quiet. I often recommend staying near the river or North of the river to people visiting the city from the standpoint of it's nice to have activity around the hotel at night and have the hotel be moderately convenient to the city as a whole. That said, the downtown area is really, really not that big. If I walked from what I consider to be the top of the downtown area in Chicago to the bottom, it would be significantly easier than (to use NYC as a comparison) walking from Times Square to Battery Park. 

So, the recommendation of being near the river or North of it is really to have an experience where there's activity at night/restaurants open and to be convenient to things like Michigan Ave. However, if you stayed in other parts of the city, it's still very easy to get around (and the Loop is closer to museums), it's just a matter of potentially not having much going on at night if you are in some parts of the city South of the river.

On HOTWIRE, I'm seeing what appears to be the Indigo for around what you have paid for the Acme (and a listing that has not yet been ID"d/reported that *may* be the Indigo is less on PRICELINE EXPRESS). I like the Indigo quite a bit -  that area is a different experience. The Gold Coast is a very nice area but it is at the very top of the zone. So you are not centrally located, but the area has a more neighborhood feel. The top of the Michigan Ave shopping area is maybe a few minutes walk, but you feel a little bit removed from the action, which I think is nice. To the North of the Indigo are a lot of very beautiful houses/apartments (including a few historic buildings) and then after you go through the residential patch you pop out at Lincoln Park (and then Old Town is nearby, the Zoo is a short walk further, etc.) There is a very, very nice farmer's market that closes the street just to the South of the Indigo on Saturday morning.

There is a subway station essentially around the corner (so you can be to the Loop within minutes, really, just a few stops South) restaurants nearby and a couple of grocery stores. So, this area is extremely close to the top of Michigan Ave (Water Tower, Hancock, etc) but feels neighborhood-ish as it's shops, restaurants and apartments in this area. The Indigo is about half a block North of the main area and given that you start to get into more apartments and houses, it (and the Public a block or so away) are probably two of the quietest hotels you will find North of the river. I've stayed in both hotels and lived nearby for a few years. Had absolutely zero issues with street noise at both hotels. Lived above the core of the area right nearby for a few years and after hearing many (many) weekend karaoke jams at the nearby bar until past midnight clear enough to feel like I was in the crowd, I realized perhaps I'm not a city person and moved away to find peace and quiet.  Definitely an area where there will be people around/activity and restaurant options until late into the night if you are out, which I think is a plus. Some very nice restaurants, including Gibson's (if you've seen the FX show "The League", Gibson's is the hangout for the main characters, although interiors weren't filmed there), Carmines and Lou Malnati's, as well as Chicago Q and others.

I'm also seeing what appears to be the Allerton for a total that will be about $70 or so less than your stay at the Acme. This is an older property, but literally is in the center of the Michigan Ave area. So, fantastic location but small rooms. Reviews have improved since it became a Warwick property - it has been a few different things over the years, including a Crowne Plaza. So, smaller room, not tons of amenities, BUT cheaper and a "place to sleep" in a terrific location. 

Again, the suburbs are really nice, but unfortunately really not doable unless you have a car.

Would the Indigo or Allerton be of interest? Let me know and I'd be happy to point out which listing is which. 

If you split this stay into two parts,  moving isn't optimal and the prices don't improve but there are some different options that may appeal that do not show when you look up all three nights together (what appears to be the W Lakeshore is showing for the last two nights only.)

If the LQ was, say, $100 and everything North of the river was around $150 or higher and you could use the $50 savings towards cab fare and probably have a bit of savings left to spare, that would be okay. Given that the LQ is more expensive for a lesser location than the options you are looking at, not something I'd recommend. That is an example of an area that will be very quiet at night. In terms of breakfast, there are tons of local breakfast options to consider. 

Thank you again for all of the information.  Tonight I am seeing a HOTWIRE hotel in the Magnificent Mile - Water Tower that I think is the Indigo for $147.00/nt (total of $562.31)  The listed amenities are:

Boutique Hotel, Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Golf nearby

4 out 5 TripAdvisor rating with 1001-1500 ratings

Can you give me your thoughts?

Thanks

I'm seeing a 3.5* Mag Mile-Gold Coast for $127 w/Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center.on PRICELINE EXPRESS. This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported, but my guess would be the Hotel Indigo Gold Coast. I'm also seeing a 4* for Mag Mile-Gold Coast $132 w/Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center, No Smoking Rooms/Facilities. This would be a possible match for the Knickerbocker.

I'm seeing what appears to be the Indigo for $151 on HOTWIRE (Mag Mile-WT $151, Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Tennis nearby, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower, 3.5*)

Still seeing potential Allerton (4* Mag Mile-WT, $127, Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower)

When requesting ID, please provide the full amenity set (go to BiddingHelper.com, search for your dates, click "Hotwire Easy View", then "Full Amenities".) Thanks.

-

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.  

I'm now seeing 4* Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park area hotel for $127.00 night with a 4.5* tripadvisor rating.  

Using BiddingHelper.com the following amenity set is:

FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

With such a high tripadvisor rating, I'm really intrigued by this.

Thanks for your help with this.

This would be a possible match for the Blackstone Renaissance. This formerly independent property was closed for several years until Marriott did a large-scale renovation on the historic property. You can read about the history (including the major renovation that needed to be done after the hotel fell into disrepair) here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Blackstone_Hotel

During the day, this property is a relatively easy (and pleasant) walk to the Museum Campus or (to the North) the Art Institute. There are a number of colleges in the buildings nearby, as well as the Auditorium Theater. I will say there is a bit more going on in terms of some new restaurants and other things nearby, but this area is still going to be on the quiet side at night. 

Basically, I see the options as:

1. Stay at the potential Blackstone. Nice hotel and reasonable rate. However, while close to museums, is a trek (or a reasonable/very reasonable cab ride) to Michigan Ave/River North. Not a whole lot going on at night, but taking cabs to (or from) River North is going to be reasonable and will not take long.

2. Stay North of the river at the Allerton or Indigo. Further from museums, but a lot going on at night and near shopping. At the Indigo, you're at the top of the zone and downtown area (the Blackstone is the reverse; it's at the bottom of that zone and the South end of the downtown area), but at the Indigo you're a pleasant walk from Old Town and Lincoln Park Zoo.

I also see what appears to be the Hyatt Regency on Wacker for $155. Great location on the river near the Michigan Ave bridge. This is the largest hotel in the city and very much a "convention" hotel.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally pulled the trigger.  I won Hyatt Regency Chicago in the Navy Pier - Millennium Park area hotel for $132.00/nt (a total of $501.03 for the three nights). Cheapest standard rate for this hotel was $982.54 so very happy with the win.  Of course, I used your HOTWIRE link to win the hotel.  Thanks for all of the help.

The full amenities are listed as:

Free Internet

Smoke-free rooms

Fitness center

Restaurant(s)

Business center

Internet access

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

It also had a 4.5 Hotwire guest rating (1900+ reviews) and a 4.0 Trip Advisor rating (2000+ reviews).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]