Hotwire Hotel: ID HOtel Help

kellysmom
By kellysmom,
in

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Tennis nearby, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

$159. 4*

4* WT $159 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Would be a likely match for the Public. This property is at the very top end of the zone, but the Gold Coast neighborhood is actually quite nice; it's also both an easy walk to the top end of the NMA area, as well as a Red Line station a few blocks to the West. Lincoln Park Zoo and the Old Town neighborhood are a longer walk to the North.

Unfortunately, these dates are a bit on the expensive side and there isn't much in the way of cheaper options. I am very familiar with Chicago; if you have any city questions please let me know. If you are interested in another property, please let us know your desired budget per night and I'd be happy to offer suggestions.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I would love help. I am attending a wedding over the holiday weekend in Skokie and had booked an airB&B that just cancelled. I have rented a car (non refundable) b/c parking was included in my rental. I have been to Chgo many times but my boyfriend has not so we want to be near the city to enjoy the days and trek to Skokie for the wedding. Is Doubletree by Hilton Mag. mile a good choice. I can get that for 200 with parking? 

A few thoughts:

1. Skokie is quite nice (the Orchard Mall on the opposite corner from the D'tree is a very nice, upscale outdoor mall.), but it is not right near train transit. Staying to the East in Evanston (although those hotels unfortunately are rarely seen on the discount services) or to the West in Northbrook/Glenview (or even Deerfield, although that starts to get a bit North) would put you within a very short distance of the Metra trains. There are also "L" stations in downtown Evanston. 

The Metra trains are a really nice option, with two levels, conductors and bathrooms.  Driving around the North burbs is straightforward and I'd be happy to offer directions. It's a bit of a ways, but there are a couple of great outlet malls near the IL/WI border. Minor note: Super H-Mart, a Wal-Mart sized Asian grocery complete with food court and a number of small side shops including a bakery, is a reasonably quick drive from the Doubletree. Cool experience and the food court is very good. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/super-h-mart-niles)

2. The North Burbs are actually quite nice, with a great deal of shopping, a wealth of restaurants and a few larger sights (Ravinia Music Festival, the Chicago Botanic Garden; the latter is especially beautiful in late May..) Evanston in particular is a great college town, with stores like Dave's Rock Shop (a gem/rock shop complete with museum in the basement. http://www.yelp.com/biz/daves-down-to-earth-rock-shop-evanston-2) and The Spice House (a tremendous herb/spice store, which also has a location in the Old Town neighborhood on the North side in the city. http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-spice-house-evanston-2)

3. If you stay in a suburban hotel (aside from the hotels in Evanston), parking is free. If you stay downtown, you are looking at probably around $40ish + taxes in city lots or as high as $60-70 per night at a hotel.

4. The issue with staying downtown and getting to the Doubletree in Skokie is that it would probably be best if you drove. Otherwise, you are going to have to take a train and then take a bus and the bus schedule may not run late or may have limited (or no, depending) weekend hours. 

5. If you do stay out in the burbs and park at a train station and take the Metra in on Saturday and Sunday, there is a weekend pass for $8, which is only for Metra, but that would be there and back on Saturday and Sunday if you went both days. It's otherwise $6 each way from the Deerfield/Northbrook/Glenview area, so deal even if you went downtown and back one of the two days.

I'm seeing:

HOTWIRE

3.5* $89 Northbrook-Glenview Suite, Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Free Parking, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Pet Friendly

-- This amenity set has been seen with the Wyndham Glenview Suites

3.5* $83 Northbrook-Glenview Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Free Parking, Pet Friendly

-- Possible match for the Hilton Northbrook

PRICELINE EXPRESS:

$62, 3.5* Deerfield Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Restaurant, Free Internet, Free Parking, Business Center, Fitness Center

-- This listing has not yet been reported, but my guess would be the Marriott Deerfield Suites. This does put you further North, but really reasonable rate for a very nice hotel if this is the Marriott Deerfield.

If you are comfortable with the Marriott Deerfield as a possibility, I'd suggest consideration of bidding for a 3.5* in Deerfield on PRICELINE in an attempt to see if that hotel or one of the other 3.5*'s in the Deerfield zone would accept for around $52-57.

It is a trek from the North suburbs into downtown, certainly, but it becomes whether the savings is worth it to you vs staying downtown and paying more for both hotel and parking.

Downtown on HOTWIRE:

4.5* River North $180; Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

-- Possible Palomar

4.5* Navy Pier-MP $180 Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Spa

-- Possible Virgin Hotel

4* River North $175 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

--- Possible Dana Hotel

Please let me know if you have any questions before booking.  Would also be happy to suggest restaurants (let me know likes/dislikes) or other hotel options.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]