Priceline Hotel: 3 rooms 4 nights In June

Magetherage
By Magetherage,
in

Hello,

3 couples are travelling to NYC from june 9-13, 2016. We are looking for a 4* or 4.5* for the 4 nights. I think we have narrowed the area down to either MTW, MSG, Chelsea or Times Square. We want to be central and close to a subway line. We are looking to spend no more than $200/night after taxes. I'd like to gamble for the best possible rate using price lines 'name your own price' but don't want any disappointing surprises. We were in nyc a few years back and stayed at eventi and found it very nice. Please provide any suggestions on how we could bid to get the best rate. Do we have an advantage by asking for three rooms. Should we start bidding soon or wait closer to the date?

thx Dan 

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by having a look at the Priceline Hotel List for NYC... are you comfortable with all of the 'known' 4* hotels in the zones that you're willing to accept?

Also, to avoid any confusion, please list your maximum bid price (before taxes/fees) and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have reviewed the 4* hotels in these areas and most seems pretty reasonable. I don't think I would be disappointed with any based on getting a good rate.  Do you see any areas that i should be concerned with? We would like to bid no more than $160 per room per night. It seems like I would be happy with all the Times Square 4* hotels as they are all very modern but I'm not sure that is where I want to be for sure.

what do you suggest as a strategy? Do we have buying power with the need for 3 rooms?

thx

13 hours ago, Magetherage said:

Do you see any areas that i should be concerned with?

MSG - the Wyndham New Yorker gets mixed reviews so make sure you're OK with this as an outcome

Chelsea - some hotels can be up to a 10 minute walk to the subway, but it's a "hot" area right now with lots of shops, cafes, restaurants, bars, boutiques, etc.

MTW - Hell's Kitchen - the higher rated hotels here are nice and get very good reviews, but are often a bit far west in the zone which puts them a 15 minute walk to the subway

Times Square - no 'know' issues other than the crowds

would be happy with all the Times Square 4* hotels as they are all very modern but I'm not sure that is where I want to be for sure.

what do you suggest as a strategy?

We can't suggest a strategy until you are sure of and have confirmed the zones you're willing to accept.

Do we have buying power with the need for 3 rooms?

In NYC it's probably a non-factor, but if 3 rooms does effect your purchase price, it's actually more of a negative effect than a positive one.  What if a hotel has the following discounted rates and inventory available for the same room:

$120 (1 room)

$135 (3 rooms)

$150 (5 rooms)

$175 (5 rooms)

$200 (5 rooms)

... if bidding on 3 rooms you would have to pay slightly more vs. somebody who is only bidding for one room (your rate would be $130, a blended rate of room at $120 and 2 rooms at $135)

Let us know once you have confirmed decided upon your zones and we have a look at rates for your dates and suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry, i made a mistake above and have edited my zone comments accordingly, i forgot that PRICELINE has combined/renamed the MTW zone to 'MTW - Hells Kitchen' and i wouldn't necessary recommend this zone for the average tourist as most of the higher rated hotels (although they get good reviews for quality/service) are located in the western part of the zone and can be a bit of a hike to the subway (not bad if you're doing it once a day, but can be a bit of a hassle if you're doing it multiple times a day over a multi-day trip)

I would however also consider the Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park zone, which if acceptable would make your zones (more of a summary for me to refer to later than for you):

Times Square

Rockefeller Center

Chelsea

If these zones are acceptable then i think you have a good chance at being successful within your $160/nite bid price (although it will most likely be very near this price... not much less)

Please confirm if the 3 zones above are acceptable and we'll advise accordingly.

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TEN re-bid zones.  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* TS and Rock...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS and Chelsea...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS, Rock, Chelsea...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $160

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have never done this before and I am a bit nervous about the rebid zones. I have checked the priceline list of hotels for various star ratings and saw a few zones that did not have hotels in the ratings that we are looking for. I am a touch worried that if I add one of these areas that I might end up getting a successful bid. I would be very dissapointed if I ended up in an area outside of Manhattan. Should I trust the zone star ratings?

If you post back here just what you think the rebid zones are for your situation, somebody will double check them for you.  

Then, just when you are about to bid, re-check them yourself.

And if you are still leery, you can do what I do when I'm working on a longer complicated set of bids and concerned that rebid zones might change while I'm working.  I open a second screen on my computer and check them yet again a couple times during the bidding process.  

Romelle

I plugged in my dates with 3 rooms and checked 4* and 5* and the following areas showed no available rooms. FW, EC, Jamaica, bayside, MH, CI, WH, KAREN an LA. From what I can tell from what you have said I should check this way just before I am about to bid and I should be safe. I suppose to be even safer I could check off 3* which dropped it to only two areas with no availability.

No, that is NOT how to check your re-bid zones.

As per Priceline Re-Bidding Explained, you want to be on the bidding side of PRICELINE when checking re-bid zones... not the 'retail' side (as the 'retail' and 'bidding' sides of PRICELINE use a different universes of hotels... and each side of their service use different zone names/boundaries within a region)

If you've read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and are still confused, try the following:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper left of this page, enter your city and dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.  

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone.  The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out).  NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region.  Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

There is no best time of day/week, unfortunately. At this point, it becomes a matter of moving slightly higher with your bids or waiting to see if rates go lower (although rates can also go higher and do so suddenly.) Additionally, this is not a slow period.

15 hours ago, Romelle said:

MSG is $159, MTW is $161 and TS is $ 165

MSG and MTW weren't included in the bidding... and if you clicking on the TS property i get a message that the offer is no longer available... but i am seeing an offer on HOTWIRE for a 4* hotel in the Times Square zone for $160/nite, for which my guess would be the Millennium Broadway, would this work for your plans?

I checked the millennium and it looks nice. I think I am going to continue to gamble and name my own price. Do you think if i continue trying on a day to day basis that I will strike a deal in the 140-150 price range for 4* in my preferred zones. I Am hoping to luck out and get something really nice. One other thing that I was unclear about was the resort fees. When naming your own price the price summary includes a taxes subtotal and an other cost subtotal. Is the other cost the resort fees or will those still be payable at the hotel?

I can't say if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip (but will point out that this is during peak season for NYC)

If you're hoping to wait it out and continue bidding i would suggest continuing the strategy above and sticking with your original $160 maximum bid.  If a lower price is available you will get it when using the previously suggested strategy, and you also won't get shut-out should the 'right' price be between $150-$160.

The 'hotel fee' is a resort fee and would payable directly to the hotel (your credit card is only billed for 'Total Room Charges' but the hotel fee is shown so that you have an idea of your maximum total cost.  Also, note that the 'hotel fee' is a worst case scenario and shows the hotel with the highest fee in the zone... should you win a hotel that does not charge a resort fee, or charges a resort fee lower than the one shown, then there would be no charge (or a lesser charge))

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]