Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Magnificent Mile - Water Tower) Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile

pongrac15563
By pongrac15563,
in

Priceline has a 4* Mag Mile-Gold Coast hotel in the express deals for $136/night, May 13-15.  The amenities listed are Business center and restaurant.  What hotel would you guess this is and can I do better?  My biggest concern is that it is Priceline and I am taking my 2 kids, so would like 2 beds and of course I can't get that guaranteed through Priceine.  Would I be better to go through Hotwire?  Unfortunately, I do not see anything listed at that good of a price through Hot Wire.  Any suggestions welcome.  I have never been to Chicago but wanted to be in an area where there are things to do/see.  We will also be attending a Cubs game.  

The issue with PRICELINE EXPRESS is that, if bed choice is not showing as an option with the listing, then there is the possibility that you may get one bed. HOTWIRE is a better option, given that you can indicate four people in the party, which should result in some form of bedding for the entire party.

When I search for four (2a/2c) on HOTWIRE, I'm seeing (you may see a slightly different price and you may not see all amenities unless you go to BiddingHelper.com and click "Hotwire Easy View"):

4* $164, Mag Mile-WT Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Likely MileNorth. There is a $7 fee per night, so essentially $171. However, location could not be better.

4* $159 Navy Pier-Millennium Park Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Roll-in Shower

-- Likely Hyatt on Wacker. Good, central location in the city as a whole, although the property is very much a "standard convention/business" hotel - it's the largest hotel in the city.

If you are driving and do not mind the trek, staying in the suburbs would be about half the cost and offer free parking, but it definitely takes some time to take the train downtown and back.

I'm very familiar with the area and would be happy to offer other hotel suggestions, or answer any city questions, as well.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Personally, I think the core recommendation that I have is to focus on the things that are "uniquely Chicago". Michigan Ave is arguably highly popular, but when you look at a lot of what's on Michigan Ave, much of it can be found online or elsewhere for less (and probably with lower sales tax, too.) It's not that Michigan Ave isn't nice to browse around, but I'd just say that perhaps focus more on things like the Art Institute, which is an amazing museum - or the Museum Campus. While the Shedd Aquarium is expensive, it is a terrific experience if you get there early before crowds (and if you're there in May, school isn't out yet so you won't have full Summer crowds.)  The Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium are essentially right next to each other. Not as much of a fan of the Adler, but the other two are worth a visit. Lincoln Park Zoo (and the surrounding LP and Old Town neighborhoods) are also worth a visit, as is the restaurant-heavy River North area.

In terms of restaurants, any particular likes/dislikes?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Congrats on your success.

Excellent win for this property and hope you are looking forward to your stay. This property is tucked away right off Michigan Ave. While there are plenty of restaurants nearby, if it's raining or you don't want to go far for whatever reason, the Corner Bakery across the street is a good room service alternative for breakfast/lunch/dinner. 

Definitely let me know if you have any city questions.

If you look under the trip information in your HOTWIRE account, are there any other amenities showing beyond the ones noted above?

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]