Priceline Hotel: Name Your Price bidding help

Oliverio123
By Oliverio123,
in

A couple of thoughts cross my mind.

I use the traditional (non-opaque) room rates and the PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals rates to estimate prices.  For example, I entered arbitrary dates of 4/12-15 to see what rates are for 3.5- and 4-star Priceline Express Deals.  The lowest rate for those star levels was $134; for traditional reservations, $136.  If I were guessing, I would guess $110 is possible.

The other thought that crosses my mind is, why not just try it?  IMHO the biggest mistake people make with Priceline is starting their bidding too high, instead of starting very low and re-bidding every two hours with incrementally higher bids.  Some people don't realize that they can bid again every two hours, so it makes sense to start low - even unreasonably low - and rebid with higher and higher prices.  If I were you, I would start at $80 or $90; then, if and when it gets rejected, raise my bid by $5 or $10 every two hours until it's accepted (or until the price is too high for you to accept).  That way you won't be "leaving money on the table" by starting out too high.

Also, don't forget to check HOTWIRE.  For the same dates, Hotwire has a 4* hotel in the Monterey-Cannery Row-Aquarium area for $115.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

To clarify, which zones, my PRICELINE name, were you looking to bid... we'll then be able to have a look at your April 1-3 dates and see what might be likely/possible.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The OP mentions any zones in the title.  And I hadn't previously noticed the dates, April 1-3.  The prices for those dates are higher than the dates I had tried, probably because they're a weekend and I had tried weekday dates.  The lowest prices shown on PRICELINE for 3.5* or more on April 1-3 are $184 for a traditional reservation, and $201 in PRICELINE EXPRESS deals; the lowest price on HOTWIRE is $178 for an opaque reservation and $174 for a traditional reservation.  Based on that, my guess is that the best you're going to do by bidding on Priceline is probably in the $150-170 range.  But again, you can always try lower, then raise your bid at the permitted two-hour intervals.  Given those prices, I'd probably start at $120 and raise it by $10-20 every two hours.  If those prices are outside your budget, you'll need to consider a lower star rating.

Another thing you can try is calling a few hotels directly, to see what they can do for you.  Since you're booking three rooms at a time, maybe they'll give you a better rate when you contact them directly (since they're not paying commissions to a travel service like Priceline).

Note our current $15 off $100 link (at the top of the page and in my signature) which is the best available discount.

53 minutes ago, nsxtasy said:

The OP mentions any zones in the title.

Does this mean:
Monterey

Monterey, Seaside, and/or Pacific Grove

The above plus/minus Carmel, Carmel Valley, and/or Carmel Heights

What about Marina and/or Salinas

... Murphy's Law suggests that whatever i assume to be the correct zones to use will likely be the wrong set, which is why i asked for clarification :smile:

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]