Priceline Hotel: Hotel room in Philadelphia 31.12.16-3.1.2015

bestenborstel
By bestenborstel,
in

Hi,

I am looking for hotel options in Philadelphia 31.12.15-3.1.2016 for two.

I found 

Center City East - Convention Center Rated 8.0 out of 10 (or higher), 4*
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center

For 106$/night. How likely it is that this one will be cheaper with name your own price, please?

Could this be the Loewe?

I am not yet sure if I would go the hotwire or priceline route.

Another problem: We have a care. I don't want to pay 50$/day for parking in the hotel. Does somebody here know Philadelphia a bit better?

I know there are free parking spots on the PPA website. How about driving there, finding a spot, and leaving the car for 3 days and nights there?

Thank you.

PS: Sorry, mixed up the years.

PS2: I should maybe add, that the hotel could be also outside or in the suburbs as long as public transportation connection is good into downtown Philadelphia.

If i recall correctly from a previous trip to Philadelphia (last year, about this same time) the free parking offered by the PPA was outside of the city and wasn't convenient for my needs. However, there is quite a bit of reduced parking available thru the PPA on weekends, and you can certainly do much better than $50/day thru a hotel.

For instance, this would take a bit of work, but likely result in substantial savings:

TO BEGIN NOTE: the PPA is notorious for ticket writing and towing, so confirm everything with the signs around you when you park.

1) on your arrival 12/31 find a meter spot that will allow you to park for the rest of the day (ie- if there is a 4 hour limit, and meters are enforced until 6pm, you need to arrive after 2pm). As meter parking is free the following day on New Year's Day, you can then leave your vehicle until meter enforcement begins again on Sat Jan 2.

2) some time on Friday after 5pm (or after midnite at 12:01am on Saturday or anytime before enforcement begins again) you can move your car to the Gateway Parking Garage at 1540 Vine Street which has a weekend special of $5/day (i believe it's calendar day so a slight advantage if you don't pull-in until the calendar day on Saturday):

Evening Rate – enter after 5PM Friday, exit by 9AM Monday – $5.00 a Day

There are likely other weekend specials that you can put together for slightly more, but even if the above is your 'worst case scenario', i think it's do-able and likely even worthwhile if you need to take an inexpensive cab ride (or city bus) back to your hotel after parking the car, but the purpose of the above is to show you that you can park inexpensively during this stay, but i think the final details shouldn't be done until you learn where your hotel will be.

As far as the hotel side of things, bidding on PRICELINE is almost always going to be the least expensive way to purchase, but you may or may not get the same hotel that is currently being offered thru PRICELINE EXPRESS. So if there is something about the Express deal that is appealing to you (it has a good user review rating, it has an amenity (such as a pool or free breakfast) that you may want for this trip, etc.) then it can often be a better option then bidding so that you know you will get something that works out well for your needs vs. bidding for any hotel in the zone.

Here is the direct link to the hotel above (confirm your dates on the landing page) which my guess would be the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Thereuare.

I would like to follow up. We have cut short our trip and decided to stay for a night in an apartment accommodation.

Do you mind to leave this open? I appreciate your answer about Philadelphia. Last time for NYC you gave us really nice suggestions. In near time, if you don't mind, I would like to ask you for further advise on Philadelphia. Thank you.

Just post here whenever your plans are final (with whatever you decide to do for this stay, even if not PRICELINE / HOTWIRE)... if you still need help with a hotel for any number of nites for the original date range just post the new date(s) and we will have a look.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I believe address for the cheap garage is 1540 spring st. Not vine. Although maybe there is another garage at vine. Google maps will bring you to it using 1540 spring st.

Thanks for the additional information... the PPA refers to this garage as 1540 Vine, and google maps shows the same location for both addresses, but as the entrance is on Spring St your address is probably the better option for following GPS.

Thanks again.

Dear all,

Thank you for your invaluable advise. Do you mind if I ask you for personal restaurant recommendations in Philly?

We arrived late yesterday, saw the fireworks, but did not find food after it.

I heard about a Pretzel wholesaler. Was ist City Center Pretzel? I read about it here in the forum.

I would like to try a Cheesecake and and a Cheesesteak. 

Thank you.

Just post here whenever your plans are final (with whatever you decide to do for this stay, even if not PRICELINE / HOTWIRE)...

We arrived late yesterday...

I'd be happy to comment on pretzels, cheesesteaks, etc, but as you appear to have already arrived in Philadelphia and started your stay, can you please begin by concluding this thread with what you decided to do as far as a hotel and for what dates?

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your results/decisions as you receive them so that the information can best help others in a timely manner.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]