Hotwire Hotel: Two 4.5* hotels in downtown convention center?

library
By library,
in

Hi! I'm looking for an anniversary room 10/24. Lots of 4+ options at decent (but not spectacular) prices this weekend. Here's the curious part. I've only seen the one (Grand Hyatt) 4.5 in this zone, but hotwire is showing me two -- one of which has a pool. And if memory serves correct, the Grand Hyatt doesn't have a pool!

edit: I think they bumped the Hyatt at Olive 8 to 4.5*. On the hotwire standard site, they indeed show the Hyatt at Olive 8 as a 4.5* hotel (for $199 -- same price as the Grand Hyatt) Mystery solved (I think).

This info is via the Bidding Helper. And of course I'll go through the Better Bidding links when I'm ready to book!

Hotel 1: 4.5*; $169/night (not the grand hyatt because it doesn't have a pool. would they bump up the hyatt at olive 8? (it has a pool) to 4.5?) 

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Resort, Indoor pool(s), Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Self-service laundry, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Hotel 2: 4.5* $156/night (assuming this one is the grand hyatt?)

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Once we have the hotels identified, another question if you please: Considering the many available options in my star range for that weekend,and the lack of things going on in town that weekend (No sports, no big concerts, nothing. I think the long-range planners were counting on a World Series, ha!) any thoughts on booking now vs.waiting a week or two?

You may see slightly/somewhat different prices than I do when searching.

When looking for this night, I'm seeing a 4.5* in this zone for $165 w/Resort, Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower

-- Not yet ID'd/reported. The Hyatt at Olive 8 would be a guess, but not certain.

$145 w/Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly.

-- Likely Grand Hyatt.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions before booking.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks much. I think we're seeing roughly the same thing. The prices are slightly different (lower) than they were yesterday. Hopefully that adds support for my theory of waiting a bit longer before I pull the trigger. 

BTW, does anyone know when Hotwire started designating 8 Olive as 4.5 star on their regular site? It's been a while since I searched but I thought it was a 4* and the Grand Hyatt was always the premier 4.5* property. I wonder what changed?

The Hyatt at Olive 8 hasn't been reported at the 4.5* level on the retail side, that is only a guess. On the retail side, Hot.wire's retail side is powered by Expedia.

Rates can vary throughout a day and I wouldn't take that as a guarantee that waiting until closer to the stay will result in lower rates. Rates can definitely go the other way - and quickly.

Please keep us updated with what you decide and let us know if you have additional questions.

Priceline..Hotwire

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update -- We ended up staying at the Grand Hyatt and booking direct. The "best price" daily rate was about the same price as the "secret" hotwire rates, plus I got the Hyatt points. As I mentioned, we're locals and were celebrating our anniversary. We wanted to maximize our time away from our "normal" lives as parents. The Hyatt was very accommodating -- they gave us very early check in (10am and very late checkout (3pm). They upgraded us to a deluxe water view room for free. They brought us complimentary chocolate and champagne. Would they have done all this had we booked via Hotwire? Maybe, but my experience with other trips says treatment like that on a Hotwire or Priceline booking would have been doubtful.

In this case it was worth it to spend a few bucks on a sure thing (and I don't say that very often)! The hotel is rated as 4.5* but we had a 5* experience.

Thanks for the great site. I'll continue to browse and book my trips through BB and your links whenever possible

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]