Priceline Hotel: 3* Minneapolis - St. Paul (Airport MSP - Mall of America) Four Points by Sheraton Minneapolis Airport

cntrfieldsmom
By cntrfieldsmom,
in

I live in the general area.  

The MSP Airport-Mall of America zone is probably the best possibility.  Most of the hotels in that zone run shuttles to the airport and the Mall of America.  However, I can personally vouch for the fact that not all of them do.  The exception I managed to hit was on a bus line though, and the front desk automatically handed out a bus schedule map and information when I asked.  It was only about 10 minutes on the bus to the Mall of America, and then I was on the light rail line.  t is hard to put numbers on, but you'd probably be at least 90% safe for having shuttle service available.  With a taxi as your Plan B.

The Downtown St. Paul zone would be a secondary choice.  There is light rail service from there along University Avenue to downtown Minneapolis.  That run takes almost an hour, but there are interesting places along University Avenue for a hop-off/hop-on lunch or something.  While most of the hotels are clustered downtown and along University Avenue, there is always the risk of getting one on an outer edge of the zone map.  The ones members have reported are in the downtown area, except for that Kelly Inn.  Your Plan B would then be either taxi or bus to intercept the light rail.  

You'll have to decide what sort of savings you need to make the risk worthwhile.  

Romelle

What would be your desired max budget per night for downtown? In terms of staying outside the city, if you compare the map of the rail system to Price.line or Hot.wire's zones, are there zones where you would be comfortable staying *anywhere* within the zone? I often suggest staying outside the city to people coming to Chicago - much cheaper than downtown on busy days and the Metra trains are great - but the problem is that many hotels are not within easy walking distance (but are short driving distance) of the trains, so I mainly recommend them for people who are driving.

I'm not familiar with the transit system in Minneapolis, but it becomes are there zones where you would be comfortable potentially being anywhere within a zone when it comes to potential distance to transit.? Nothing is guaranteed with Hot.wire either, but that may be a better choice when it comes to trying to make an educated guess as to which hotels are showing to get one near transit.) All of the hotels reported to the board in the state are here: Hotwire Hotel List Minnesota.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

We love staying downtown but I'm not having any luck.

In addition to the questions asked above, how high have you already bid and at what star rating?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not sure which Towneplace Suites property it is that you're referring to, but if it's THIS ONE then it is 2.5* rated by PRICELINE.

I don't know this area well and others (Romelle??) can't comment further, but from looking at a map the light rail appears to go thru Downtown and not much else in the way of PRICELINE zones except for the MSP Airport - Mall of America. In this zone i'm seeing (confirm your dates on the landing pages):

3* for $66/nite with:

Free Parking

Restaurant

Free Internet

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

... my guess for this one would be the Four Points by Sheraton Minneapolis Airport

3.5* for $100/nite with:

Free Parking

Business Center

Restaurant

Airport Shuttle

Free Internet

Fitness Center

... my guess for this one would be the Radisson Hotel Bloomington By The Mall Of America

You can use MAPS and HOTELS.com to see each of our guesses above on a map and determine how close/far it is from a lightrail stop... but i assume in the case of the 3.5* you could use the shuttle to get to the airport (where it appears there is a light rail stop)

Do either of the above work for your needs?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I hope you take time to try "Maps and Hotels".  Thereuare put a link in his response or you can find it in the "Tool Box" up above in the header.  It is pretty amazing after a short learning period.  You can put in your dates with a center of Minneapolis, one of the stadiums, the airport, an address or lots of other things.  A radius (it is about 10 miles from the center of Minneapolis to the center of St. Paul).  

The results show on a map.  

After you get the results, you can use a slider bar to toss out all the places over your budget, plus the really inexpensive ones that might be scary.    You can also unselect the lower star ratings.   Then you can move around on the map and see what might work.    

If you click on the name of a particular hotel in the left hand list column, a box will appear on the map spotting the hotel and providing some more detail.  

I'm pretty sure you'll see some more possibilities.

It really is an amazing tool.

Romelle  

PS - FYI -  I'm a member, not a board official

Downtown seems busy for these dates so i suspect the hotel is not at low occupancy... therefore they may not be willing to discount as deeply vs. if they had many empty rooms to fill.

While there is more profit in a $300 hotel room vs. a $100 hotel, you will actually often see hotels more willing to deeply discount a $100 room since that is indicative of low occupancy, whereas when rates are at $300/nite the hotel may be nearly full and therefore not willing to discount as much (or perhaps not at all)

Tried and failed in Downtown and Downtown East.  Was going to book as a backup the Townplace Suites *2.5 at  $129 but we decided we rather stay 2 nights.  Happy enough (although sad not downtown) with the Four Points.  Free 24 hour shuttle to the Mall and light rail which goes downtown.  Also free wifi and parking, which really adds to the costs downtown.  Vikings and Packers game so downtown is off limits with priceline. With the good hotel price maybe we'll go to the game!  Thanks for all your help.

IKEA is right next to the Mall of America.  Walkable, although one has to be careful crossing streets.  IKEA is always a fun shop, but also you can find some really reasonable/good/healthy meals there.  

Click here.

If you sign up to be part of the IKEA family, you can save even more on some of their meals.

Romelle

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see this property will work well for your plans and you're pleased with the results... so much so that you were able to book two nites instead of the one you were originally intending.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board... to confirm, this was a winning PRICELINE bid OR was this a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]