Hotwire Tax Recovery Charges & Fees

Shea77
By Shea77,
in

Hotwire

3 nights @ $188.

Subtotal $564.

Tax recovery charges and fees $225.95

The $225.95 is just about 50% of the subtotal!

Does this seem normal?  It is for a 4.5* in Charleston SC 12/25-12/28/2015.  I was very close to purchasing until I saw that.  

Thank you for any input and I hope I put this in the right topic.

I'm a member, not somebody official from the board.

But I looked up your dates for Charleston, SC and found on Priceline Express a 4* with this:

Price per night: $210
Rooms: 1
Nights: 3
Room Subtotal: $630.00
Taxes & Fees: $129.96
All prices are in U.S. Dollar. $759.96

Very close to your grand total, but the hotel gets more money and those taxes and fees are less.   Might be a nicer hotel?  It had an 8.0 recommendation, which is pretty reliable.   I've seen these sorts of differences in other cities.  No idea what causes them, but it never hurts to check all the sources.

Hotwire can be a little more generous with stars than Priceline (maybe 1/2 a star), so the HW 4.5* might be roughly the same as a PL 4*.

For that matter, you might consider bidding 4* via Priceline, at least up close to the level of the HW and PE deals (grand total number).

Have you looked at the Hotel Lists to see which hotels other members have reported getting via HW, PL and PE?  

Romelle

Hi Romelle,

Thank you for your input.  The Hotwire hotel is most likely Charleston Place Belmond, which is exquisite!  

I am afraid of 4* category on Priceline because the Vendue Hotel is an option and that one has many rooms with no windows at all.  I would freak out.

I appreciate your advice, normally it would be possible but no windows = no way !

Best,

Shea

I agree with you on the no windows.

I did just look at bidding Priceline.  It is possible to bid 4.5*s Downtown Charleston.  No history of anyone reporting a winning bid at that level.  The Planters Inn and the Market Pavilion are showing in the retail side, but of course there are no guarantees as to which hotel one might receive, if indeed a bid would be successful at that level.   

This was what a Priceline 4.5* $188 bid would cost:

Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: US$ 188.00
Subtotal: US$ 564.00
Taxes and Service Fees: US$ 115.02
Total Charges*: US$ 679.02

Almost $100 less than HW on the Taxes and Fees.   HW does seem seriously out of line.

Romelle

• 10 months later...

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

In the future, when PRICELINE / HOTWIRE don't work for your needs, please book your regular rate purchases thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]