Priceline Hotel: Portland, OR Sept 25-27

koumbara123
By koumbara123,
in

Hello New user here:)

Ive been reading through the forums, and im trying to understand everything as best as possible.

Im looking for a 4* for 2 nights in Portland (downtown) , and like everyone I want a good deal! From what I read its best to wait closest to the date.

Anyone have any tips for me? Could I bid on a room today for super a low rate (just to get a feel for how it works) and see what happens? As long as I get a 4* Downtown Im happy. Ive seen the techniques posted on adding zones without the star rating you want to get more bid chances. Anyone have any tips for portland? And Ill be using PRICELINE.

Many thanks!

Oh and my budget is 140 us. Is this do-able?

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

"From what I read its best to wait closest to the date."

Not necessarily. In 2008 and right after, there was more in the way of last-minute deals. As demand has ramped up, not only have there been less in the way of last minute deals, but many who try to wait until the last minute because they think they'll get a better deal are suddenly faced with higher rates (and rates can jump up quickly.) Additionally, you're a little over a week out from the trip - this is essentially "last minute" as hotels go.

" Could I bid on a room today for super a low rate (just to get a feel for how it works) and see what happens?"

You don't have too much time. You can certainly bid low but at a realistic level. Unfortunately, I think $140 is going to be difficult for a 4* for these dates and you're likely looking at - at least in downtown - more the $160-180 neighborhood. Is downtown the only acceptable zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks Aaron. 

Yes Downtown is where we need to stay. So I guess we will have to up our budget to 160.

I would like a 4*

So let me get this straight: 

I need to pick "4 stars" and downtown portland as criteria, and place a bid. 

If my starting bid is 120 (for example), and it gets rejected, to be able to bid again (within 24h) I need to change my criteria.

So I would add a zipcode that only has 3.5 stars, and proceed to increase my bid, to 130 for example (and keep my 4* criteria - so I would get a second chance to bid knowing I would never get the 3.5* hotel because I choose the 4*.....)

Im I getting this right?! Thanks in advance:)

You've got the theory right, although the word is "zone" rather than "zipcode".  

AT THE MOMENT, Portland is particularly easy to bid at the 4* level, because all the other zones only go up to 3.5*.  BUT, you always need to check just before a bidding session, since things change regularly.  

And you know you check for star levels in the zones ON PRICELINE, not from anywhere else??

If you ever are in doubt about the star levels, you can post back here with a list you believe is correct, and somebody will double-check it for you.

A relatively recent change on Priceline now lets one bid every 2 hours without changing criteria.  You don't really need to know that for this situation, since Portland has so many free rebid zones right now.  But just for future reference.

Romelle

PS - always a good idea to be super cautious with a "lowball" or super-low bid just for learning purposes.  I did it many years ago for 9 nights in London.  Oops.  My super-low bid went through.  I had to scramble to make sure I had the funds to cover the immediate charge to my credit card.  I hadn't really planned on paying just then.

PPS - Voodoo Doughnuts is my favorite tip for Portland.  Closely followed by the easy light rail transportation to the airport.

Few additional comments...

...to be able to bid again (within 24h) I need to change my criteria.

The waiting time is now only 2 hours... you no longer need to wait 24 hours.

So I would add a zipcode that only has 3.5 stars...

You need a zone that only has 3.5* or lower.

If a zone has:

3* and lower: this is still a re-bid zones at the 4* level

no 4* but does have 4.5* offered: this is not a re-bid zone since the star rating you choose is the minimum that you're willing to accept, and your 4* bid could be upgraded to a higher rated (4.5*) property

To determine your re-bid zones see this thread: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained. Currently you have 14 re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in Portland, OR... feel free to confirm them with the board and/or ask questions if you're unsure.

I will add that what looks like the Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown is offered on HOTWIRE for $161/nite and this property gets excellent reviews (as well as includes breakfast... although this means you would need to have VooDoo doughnuts be a different meal of the day ;) ). You could try bidding on PRICELINE up to $160/nite (or perhaps a little lower if 'knowing' that the HOTWIRE hotel offered has excellent reviews is worth paying a bit more once your PRICELINE bids get close to that same price)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we will advise accordingly and/or suggest a strategy for you to follow. (if bidding on PRICELINE let us know your maximum bid so we don't suggest a strategy that goes higher then you're willing to pay)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you bid on Price.line, you won't know what hotel until your bid is accepted.  And bids are final.  

The list is those hotels members have reported as receiving.  While it give a good general idea of your results, I've several times gotten a hotel not yet reported and therefore not on the list.  I always enjoy being the first one to provide a new hotel for the lists.  

The only  thing you know for sure is that if your bid is accepted, it will be a 4* (or higher, as Priceline can "upgrade") within the shaded area of the zone map.  

If there are amenities listed for bidding, they are general amenities that all hotels of a particular star level have.

If you don't bid, but want to opt for one of the HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS offers, the experts here can give you an "educated guess" ahead of time as to what hotel you might get.  If you supply them with the relevant details like date, amount, and amenities.  Still not absolutely for sure, but pretty sure.  

Bidding tends to be the least expensive, but sometimes it can be worth any extra money to have a good idea as to what hotel you'll receive.  And sometimes people want/need to have specific amenities so opt for Hotwire or Priceline Express deals with those amenities.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]