Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium Park - The Loop - Grant Park) Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection

KrisKC
By KrisKC,
in

I'm moving my son up to University of Chicago and need some advice.

He will already be in Chicago doing a week long "get to know Chicago experience" so he is not really a factor in my hotel decision (just giving this info for background)

It seems that on 9/19 all hotels are extremely expensive - around $280/night, then on 9/20 & 9/21 the prices drop to $107-$125.

The hotels I can figure out are the Hyatt on Wacker which is a PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal for $125 and the Allerton for $107.

Before I figured out the prices dropped so drastically on the 2nd and 3rd nights, I did Priceline bidding for a 4 star in the area and got up to $149/night for the entire 3 night stay but it was rejected.  I believe I used all of the tricks on here and ended up bidding 7 different times - all which were rejected.

So my question is this - what do I try next?

Do I try again for naming my own price for the 3 nights?

Do I buy a PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal for the last 2 nights and just try to get a decent price on my first night there at a cheaper hotel maybe by the airport - we are coming in Midway but even those don't look very cheap?

Between the Hyatt and the Allerton which would you choose? Is one closer to the train to take us to UofC?

Thanks for any advice!

I'm extremely familiar with Chicago and would be very happy to answer any questions about the city or surrounding area.  I'll note that Lincoln Park is definitely an area that should be considered, as it's both a fun area with a lot of great restaurants and shops, but if your son is not living in a dorm, it's a more reasonable option than downtown. It is also a very heavily 20-30-something area.

What you're dealing with on 9/19 is:

ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Chicago
Grant Park
Map It 09/15/2015 09/20/2015 7000
PROCESS EXPO 2015
McCormick Place North
Map It 09/15/2015 09/18/2015 15000

There's a 4* in the Mag Mile-River North area on HOTWIRE for $120 w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower.

-- The Hotel Chicago has been seen with this amenity set previously. If the Chicago, that would be a very good option.

You could try bidding for all three nights, but I think splitting the stay could work well if you don't mind moving. What would be your desired max budget per night for this stay?

Hot.wire coupon code ENDSUM30 takes $30 off but that coupon ends tonight.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

My son is living in a dorm on campus, so the hotel is just for my husband and myself.

I'm not opposed to Lincoln Park as long as there is a train nearby to get me to campus ;)

I looked on Hotwire and didn't see a 4 star hotel for $120? Was that just for the 19th or the entire stay?

I'd like to stay around $450 for the 3 nights if possible, that is why I was excited about the cheaper prices on the 2nd & 3rd days!

The 4* for $120 is for the 9/20-22 period.

When searching on Hot.wire for 9/19-22, I see what appears to be the Whitehall for $148 (4* Mag Mile N-WT, Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Golf, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly), but while that property has a terrific location, it's an older independent hotel that gets some mixed reviews.

Thank you for keeping us updated and please let us know if you have additional questions about hotels or Chicago.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

If you could choose between the Hyatt, Allerton, the Whitehall or the Hotel Chicago which would you do?

I'll bump this question and let AaronJB comment since he knows this area best.

If I tried the name my own price again, would you suggest as soon as possible or waiting a few days?

If you're willing to increase your budget i would try as soon as possible... if you're looking to keep your maximum bid the same, then the odds of a price move (not necessarily downward) are greater, but while you're waiting rates could also move up instead of down.

Are you willing to increase your 4* bidding to about $165? (as currently i think it will take somewhere between $150-$165 to be successful for a 4* property in the Mag Mile-River North zone)

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not a real fan of the Allerton or Whitehall - especially above a certain price point -  although reviews have improved for both and they both have excellent locations not far from one another. They are older properties and rooms are small. If you're paying $150+ the value isn't there. Both the Whitehall and Allerton are possibilities if you bid River North-NMA at the 4* level.

For 9/19-22, PRICELINE EXPRESS doesn't seem to have much of interest, while Hot.wire has what appears to be the Doubletree Mag Mile for $160 and a few other options downtown for $175-200 (such as the Swiss.)

For 9/20-22, I see what appears to be the Allerton for $105 - while it still has small rooms, near $100 for that location is more appealing than over $150. I'm also seeing the potential Hotel Chicago for $120, which would be more appealing from a hotel standpoint and a great location near River North restaurants.

What would be your desired max budget per night for this stay? The problem is really the first night, which is even expensive at Midway, as there's overflow traffic from downtown. Even if you did go with the cheapest option downtown for the second two nights (the Allerton at around $100), the cheapest 4* downtown for the first night is around $250 so the per night average unfortunately still comes in at around $150.

I believe we have decided to try rent an apartment for the first night because we can get a place in Hyde Park for 1/2 the price of any hotel on that night (and she's throwing in her code for Uber so we'll get a free ride from the airport)

Then we are going to try to name our own price for the 20th-22nd since prices seem to be around $110-$125 on the PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals for the 4 star.

What would you start your bidding at? Can you typically get a better price than the Express Deal or is that the lowest they go?

You can usually do slightly better by bidding... but sometimes it's also worth paying the PRICELINE EXPRESS rate if there is something about the offered hotel that you want that you can't guarantee by bidding (ie- a high user review rating, pool, free breakfast, free internet, a guess as to the hotel offered, etc)

If you let us know which zone(s) you're willing to accept at the 4* level, and your maximum bid, we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Under $120, I'm seeing what appears to be the Hotel Chicago for $122 and the Allerton for $108 on Hot.wire. You may see slightly different prices - would either of these possibilities be of interest? The Allerton has small rooms and is an older property, but location couldn't be better.

What I would do in terms of going to the University of Chicago Hyde Park campus is go over to Millennium Park (aspects of which I would recommend seeing if you've never been, such as the Lurie Garden - http://www.luriegarden.org/), then take the Metra from the Millennium Park station to the 59th/UoC station (http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/me/station.59th-up.html)

Let me know if you have additional questions.

This used to be the House of Blues Hotel (the HOB is still next door) and was the Hotel Sax, but was bought within the last year by Marriott and turned into one of their Autograph Collection properties. It is right on the river. In the blocks to the North is the River North area, which offers a wide variety of restaurants and nightlife. If you need restaurant recommendations, let me know likes/more about what you're looking for. 

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]