Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Frederick Mainstay Suites Frederick

Ryche
By Ryche,
in

Hi,

I'm looking to bid on a hotel in Frederick MD. What I'm trying to figure out is how best to rebid if my initial bid fails.

There are two zones in the area - Frederick and Hagerstown. Both have the same star level hotels (1, 2, 2.5, 3). I'm ideally aiming for one of the 3 stars in Frederick. I can't add Hagerstown to the mix as that would bring those 3 stars into play, and staying in Hagerstown is not an option based on plans and schedule.

If I need to rebid with one zone, what would the best option be - Thanks!

The bad news is there really isn't any sneaky technique to get around a one zone situation.

The GOOD news is one can now bid every 2 hours!

You can help the situation a little by carefully researching your next best alternative (Bidding Helper above in the header is a great tool for that), and starting not too far below that.  And maybe ... gulp ... using slightly larger increments (I have to admit I'm fond of $1 increments and it tears me up to leave money on the table).

Dates?

Romelle

Via Bidding Helper for your date:

Right now Hotwire has a 3* at $79, and two 2.5*s at $65 and $63.

Priceline Express has a 3* for $97, a 2.5* for $85, and a 2* for $49.

For comparison purposes, always important to remember that Hotwire can be more generous with its stars than Priceline - maybe 1/2 a star.  So the Hotwire 3* might be a Priceline 2.5*??  It varies.  I've seen examples of the same star rating, and others of a full star difference.  But the tendency is about a 1/2*.

You might get slightly different numbers when you pull up Bidding Helper.  Things change.

Also, click clear through to the totals with taxes and fees.  Sometimes things change positions.  

If you haven't found them already, the Hotel Lists (up in the header) are all hotels members have reported as getting via Priceline bidding, Priceline Express and Hotwire.  You might be able to get a rough guess as to the hotel you might get via PE and HW by comparing the reported amenities vs what you are seeing in the current offers.  

Romelle

Thank you both! I am using the Priceline link to go in and make my bid... (so far rejected, but I'm starting a little low).. 

And thank you for all the advice, thoughts, and checking. 

I know there are three 3*s in Frederick (per Priceline's "normal price" list), all of which are in the area I want to be, so hoping to get one of 'em at a good value. 

But if I have to open it up to the 2.5's, so be it.. Will let y'all know once I finally succeed!

Nothing for the day so far..but there is always tomorrow...

3* Bids - 60% Threshold $46.00 - Rejected Bids $40, $42, $48, $51. 

2.5* Bids - 60% Threshold $42.00 - Rejected Bids $38, $41

(added in the 2.5 because the ones listed as 2.5 are also near where i want to be, without running the risk of the 2 star locations.....)

The 60% Threshold is calculated by seeing the hotel on express deals, multiplying the ED rate by the sum of the % savings plus 100% (Ex - a 15% savings would be multiplied by 1.15) to determine the base rate, and then multiplying by . 4 to get 40% (or 60% off) the base rate. As an example, Say there is a PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal for $80, and they advertise it is a 20% savings. Multiply 80 by 1.2 for a base hotel rate of $96. Then take 40% of (or 60% off of) 96, which is 38.4, or about $39... I don't know if 60% is a magic number, but they do say save up to 60%, so that is where I start my bidding... 

Please note that PRICELINE EXPRESS and the retail service of PRICELINE are two different services with different inventory and zones so you can't compare the express.deals and the retail hotels in this way. And sometimes it takes a dollar or two from the PRICELINE EXPRESS price to hit with the bidding service.

I would say you're bidding to low when looking at the current rates.

You're more likely looking in the $65+ range (give or take) when bidding 3* for these dates.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases. 

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help.

Yellowdog.

I agree with yellowdog on the probably outcome.  You'll most likely do a little better than the Priceline Express and Hotwire numbers, but not a great deal.  The best use of the PE and HW numbers is as a bidding ceiling, since you know you can always just switch over to them.

Those %-off numbers have too much individual variation to be useful.   When times are slow and occupancy low, I've seen bids of 1/3 the going rate accepted.  On the other hand, when a hotel is expecting better occupancy, the savings can be as low as $5 to $10.  

I even once managed to "win" a bid in Las Vegas, and then learned that the hotel's web site price was $5 less!  I hadn't done my homework.  Ouch.  Never happened again, but I felt an idiot.

For the record, I'm a member, not a board official.  But I've done a lot of bidding over time. 

R.

Please Help ID Frederick 2.5* All Suites Hotel

Free breakfast

Fitness center  

Indoor pool(s)

Kitchenette  

Pet friendly  

Pool(s)  

Self-service laundry

Hotwire Special $63 (Base Rate 139)

I'm thinking Mainstay Suites or Holiday Inn (Hagerstown) based on the amenities - But leaning towards Mainstay since that is in Frederick (and per the "Show" option on the details page, that is where the hotel will be...

Thanks in advance!

Yellowdog and Romelle - Thank you for the hints and advice. 

I've also started looking at Hotwire (separate question up on the MD-HW thread) - it looks like they have a few specials in the low-mid 60 range, so I may up my bids to that area and see how it goes.. I'm pretty sure which properties I'll get from Priceline... not quite as sure with HW - but that is what the thread there is about...

Thanks again!

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. Once you win a hotel, use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of the page to edit the topic title to reflect your win and to provide the details of your purchase, and the entire thread will automatically be moved (if necessary) to the correct section of the board. This helps keep the board better organized by reducing the number of unresolved threads that don't have any follow-up or conclusion.

For the 2.5* HOTWIRE all-suite offer, I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities (including any accessible amenities) then what you have listed above?

HOWEVER, with a 40% recommendation by previous HOTWIRE guests, is this something that you would really be interested in? As well, if you have thus far only bid up to $51 for a 3* hotel are you seriously considering this 2.5* for $63 (as it is more then you have even tried for a 3 star property)... or would you first bid higher for a 3* on PRICELINE before considering this one? (as well as bidding higher for a 2.5* on PRICELINE, since this is 50% more then you have tried on PRICELINE at the 2.5* level)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There - your second guess was correct - once my Priceline bids get higher than the Hotwire non-bid rate, I would strongly consider using the HW rate at that point. 

Bids are up to $57 (3*) and $47 (2.5*) and still being rejected, so I've got a few more bids to make prior to that point.

The 40% approval doesn't matter for one night. If I were on an extended trip, or bringing company, I'd be concerned.. for myself though, not a huge deal.Though when I check the hotels that come up after the Easy View, (and selecting amenities, etc), none of them show an approval rate that low.

... so I've got a few more bids to make prior to that point.

Then let's stick with the bidding for now since the hotels currently offered may not be the ones that are available (or not available at the same price). We would be happy to research any hotel(s) you won't once they are a serious consideration for immediate purchase... but as the current offers could disappear at anytime, and may not be offered once you're ready to act upon them, there is little value in taking the time to research them at this point in time. (or may not even be necessary if your bidding is successful)

Keep us updated on your PRICELINE bidding and let us know once you hit the point where the HOTWIRE rates make sense.

Good luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Still no luck yet.

3* Priceline in Frederick - Bid is up to 67. PL is trying to get me to $80. Does that mean $80 is their current floor, or if I come closer (say the low to mid $70 range) might that have a shot?

2.5* Bid is up to $60, but that is flat out rejected. 

The HW 3* is out of the question now.. $111 on the HW special. They do have a few 2.5* in the mid 60s I think I've identified. But I'll hold off on those until my PL 2.5* hits $65.

3* Priceline in Frederick - Bid is up to 67. PL is trying to get me to $80. Does that mean $80 is their current floor, or if I come closer (say the low to mid $70 range) might that have a shot?

It means that the 'right' price, at least at this moment, is somewhere between $68-$80... at times it can take $1 more than your previous bid, at other times it can take the full amount of their counter-offer... usually the price point is somewhere inbetween.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and not the links in any emails that PRICELINE sends indicating that you're able to bid again)

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Good luck!

2.5* Bid is up to $60, but that is flat out rejected.

Your strategy is good though, working the two streams simultaneously.  

Even though you aren't getting the counter-offer on the 2.5, one never knows.  Sometimes it works that way and then "bingo" the next bid works.  And sometimes one gets counter-offers along the way.  

The sneaky thing is when the counter-offers start getting higher.  That can suggest rates are rising, although I don't think it means anything.  

Good luck.

Romelle

Thanks to the Hotwire Easy View and the Full Amenity list, I was 99% sure this was the hotel I'd get. My last bid on Priceline (where this is a 2* property) was $63, and they tried to bump me to $80. My last 3* bid on PL was $70, again with a jump to $80. So I went with a sure thing on the price, and fairly convenient to what I'll be doing (Reliving the 80's with a club concert by Vixen) - Mainstay's Website, HW and PL list at $89 - so about 30% off the base rate. Purchased through the Hotwire link at the top of the page.

Thank you all for the help and thoughts! I appreciate it!

Congratulations on your success!

Thank you for using the HOTWIRE links on the board.

Also thank you for the addition for this new property to the BetterBidding Hotwire Hotel List

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities (including the accessible) that are currently showing in the MY ACCOUNT link for this purchase... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

We hope you're satisfied with the outcome and will like the Mainstay Suites and Vixen concert

Enjoy your stay.

Yellowdog.

Amenities at the Frederick, MD Mainstay include:

Free breakfast, Pet friendly, Indoor pool(s), Fitness center, Pool(s), Self-service laundry, Kitchenette

Accessibility Amenities:

Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

Follow Up Review after stay:

My trip (an overnighter - solo traveler) to MainStay in Frederick is kind of a mixed bag of good and bad. I didn't have a pet or check the pool/fitness center/business center, or spend enough time in the room to watch TV.

The good:
Location - Easy access from the main highway (270) and road, but far enough from the road that traffic noise isn't an issue.
Options - It is walking distance (about 1/3 of a mile) to a strip mall with food, movies, and various shopping.
The staff I encountered were very pleasant and friendly
Spacious room/studio (no wall separation)
Free Wifi - good signal reception.
Price - Got the hotel as a special "no bid" Hotwire rate.

The Meh:
Room Condition - The room was clean and most things looked good. However at least for my room, the dresser was (1) Missing one drawer totally, and (2) had another damaged drawer that could not be put back on its track. Also, the lining paper (or whatever they line the outside of cabinets with) was peeling in the bathroom, so you could see the exposed corkboard underneath.
The shower - more the size. It is fine if you are about 5'9 or less.. but much taller and you'll need to duck in order to use the shower and avoid banging your head on the top.
The decor  - coloring and carpet design looked straight out of the 70's or early 80's.
Towels - Typical hotel "barely fit around your waist" towels.

The Blah:
The bed - uncomfortable and hard as a rock. In the end I ended up sleeping on the sleeper sofa (folded up - so more like a regular sofa) instead of the bed.
Closet door - very noisy and stiff
Large Gap between bottom of door and floor - allowed a lot of hallway light (full power, even at 1am) to come in the room. I ended up taking the comforter from the bed and blocking the bottom crack to block the light.
Breakfast - Odd tasting OJ, some cereals, apples, and danish/sweet rolls - oh, and bread for toasting. Even as far as continental breakfasts go, this was sparse.

I wanted to like the hotel more than I did. Had the room had proper upkeep, I'd probably give the place 3 stars. Ok for a short stay, but I wouldn't want to spend extended time here unless I had my own memory foam topper to make the bed semi-comfy.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]