Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Richmond (Downtown) Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown

Heide Szeto
By Heide Szeto,
in

Alright, I'm going to need last minute help.  I had a place in Richmond to stay but those plans did not work on.  I'm working on a tight budget.  Was originally planning to check into Richmond 8/21 and leave 8/24 but depending on what I can get a hotel for is how many nights I'll stay (I may leave 8/23 instead).

The zones I would want to stay in are:

Downtown

Glen Allen

Richmond West End

Shooting for 4 or 3.5 stars.

I am hoping to spend no more than $60 a night.

Is that a little hopeful or will it be possible?

Looks like some hotels have a rate of $120ish.  The express deals are around $100.

Was originally planning to check into Richmond 8/21 and leave 8/24 but depending on what I can get a hotel for is how many nights I'll stay (I may leave 8/23 instead).

I compared the two different set of dates and I can't see any difference on the price. 

I am hoping to spend no more than $60 a night.

I can't see that $60 will fly when looking at your dates for a 3.5* or 4*. I think your closer to $85 (give or take).

Can you increase your budget or do you want to lower your star rating?

Let us know and we'll go from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Yellowdog.

Heide,

An easy way to check possible results from bidding is to just enter your dates into Hot.wire and/or PRICELINE EXPRESS.  With Priceline bidding one can generally count on doing a little better, but the rates from HW and PE can suggest a bidding ceiling.  

Do roughly adjust the results from Priceline and Hotwire for Hotwire's more generous allocation of stars.  There seems to be a tendency for Hot.wire to be about a 1/2* higher.  There are exceptions both with the two systems having the same ratings, and there being a full star difference.  But the general tendency is definitely there.

Romelle

We can suggest a strategy for whatever you'd like to try, but i think your best option for the zones above would be at the 2.5* level in the West End zone.

If you can stretch your budget a bit further HOTWIRE has what looks to be the 3* Linden Row Inn for $82/nite if this should be of any interest (and includes breakfast which could perhaps justify increasing your budget a bit further):

Complimentary Breakfast

Free Internet

Boutique

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you take the HOTWIRE offer above) and we will advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry for the late reply.  I've been stuck on the field for the last two days.

The hotels in West End at 2.5 stars doesn't look too bad.  I don't mind staying in that zone.  That zone is pretty close to Downtown Richmond isn't it?

Priceline currently has express deals for the West End for $43 for 2 stars and $55 for 2.5 stars and Glen Allen respectively at $55 and $71 *all with free breakfast*.

I was going to reply and say I could expand my budge a bit higher to somewhere upward of $75 a night (so that my total is no more than $200 for the two night stay).

The hotels in West End at 2.5 stars doesn't look too bad.  I don't mind staying in that zone.
I was going to reply and say I could expand my budge a bit higher to somewhere upward of $75 a night (so that my total is no more than $200 for the two night stay).

$200 all in might work for your original plan.

Would you like to try your max budget first or stick with the cheaper option in West End?

Yellowdog.

I don't think you'll hit a 3* at a similar price with the bidding service as the price you'll see for the 2.5* PRICELINE EXPRESS West End property.

I would like to maybe try for 3* in the zones

Please post the names of the zones you're willing to bid 3*. What is you max budget/night before tax/fee's before taking the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal?

Let us know and we'll help you with a strategy.

Yellowdog.

For the 3* zone I would like to try Downtown Richmond first with a max bid of no more than $75 a night.

If that fails, I don't mind adding Glen Allen to the acceptable zone. 

Not to make it complicated but I also heard Innsbrooke (which has 3* on express deal for $63) and Short Pump are good areas to stay in (female and traveling alone).  Very last acceptable zone would be the Airport area.  

Hope this helps.  

When bidding 3* in Richmond you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $73, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75

If the above fails do you then want to try including Glen Allen... or would you prefer a 3.5* hotel in the Downtown zone for $86/nite ($206 all-in)... or you could try bidding on PRICELINE for a 3.5* up to $83/nite (if you absolutely don't want to go over your $200 all-in budget)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how the bidding goes, and if rejected, what you would like to be your next step (a 3.5* Downtown with a slightly higher budget) OR add Glen Allen to your 3 star bidding.

Good luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I tried up to $75 with no success.  Found out I won't be able to stay in the other zones (my fiance is in the military and will be traveling by taxi so the fares to Glen Allen/West End would be too high).

You said: would you prefer a 3.5* hotel in the Downtown zone for $86/nite ($206 all-in)... or you could try bidding on PRICELINE for a 3.5* up to $83/nite (if you absolutely don't want to go over your $200 all-in budget).  

Why is it that the express deal Downtown Richmond 3.5* is cheaper than Downtown Richmond *3 star?

I'm seeing 3.5* for Downtown Richmond as being only: Crowne Plaza and Richmond Mariott

There are plenty of reasons why a higher rated hotel can be priced lower than a lower rated hotel on any given nite, but one possible scenario:

3* hotel --> has a large wedding party over the weekend with many out of town guests as well as 2 small business conferences, as a result the hotel is at 90% occupancy (and therefore rates are high)

3.5* hotel --> has no group activities planned and the hotel is only at 50% occupancy, so they price rooms low as well as offer deep discounts thru the opaque providers

Net results: the 3.5* hotel for these dates is priced lower than the 3* property

There are other possible scenarios but the one above is the easiest to explain and understand.

For the 3.5* PRICELINE EXPRESS offer if you're seeing:

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

... best guess for this one would be the Crowne Plaza Richmond Downtown

Let us know if you take the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer and how it goes, or if you prefer to try bidding, let us know your maximum bid and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Price accepted at what was originally suggested to me for Downtown RIchmond 3.5* for the dates listed. 

Started my bid at 65 and ended at 83 (Express Deals is for $86) and got Crowne Plaza.

I see trip ADD ONS (car rental and add a night)  Are these on the spot or can I add them later? I noticed how the price changes if I change the location of the pick up (not at the airport vs. in the city)

The add a night feature is good later.  The trick is that the additional night or nights might not be at the same rate, or might not even be available.  

Price.line usually also sends a separate email later again offering the car rental.  But you can also bid for it, and might do a little better that way.  Check Hot.wire and PRICELINE EXPRESS also before bidding to see what those offers are.  Bidding won't yield big savings, but maybe a few dollars per day.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]