Hotwire Hotel: Virginia Beach Question....

melissa216
By melissa216,
in

Hello!   I was looking for a little bit of last minute help....    We have decided to take a last minute trip to Virginia Beach. ( Our son left for basic training a few weeks ago and we really debated a trip this year without him....)       We are looking to check in Aug 3 and leave on the 7th.    Not so picky about which hotel, but would like to be oceanfront or oceanview.... even a block off the beach is fine.  Not even all that picky about hotel star rating....just as long as is clean!...lol....   I haven't used Priceline or Hotwire before, so was hoping for some advice before I tried.  

Thank you!!!

Melissa

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

With Price.line, you have to be willing to stay anywhere within the zone (shaded area.) With Hot.wire, there are no guarantees as things can change at any time, but you can make an educated guess as to which hotels are showing based on which amenities are showing. In this case, you can also look for a listing with beachfront or oceanfront as an amenity. If ocean view is an option, it may be a paid upgrade  and discount reservations are not eligible for upgrades.

What would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

Hope your son is doing well in basic training and best wishes. :)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Hi Aaron--- thank you for taking time to reply!---   

If I don't land an oceanview, I will be ok with that.  Would just like to try and have the hotel oceanfront or oceanview----    I found the Schooner on Priceline for  $164...  so far I can't seem to find a bettter deal than that....     If I could score a deal less than that, I would be happy.    Think I have a chance?...lol.

Melissa

PS:thanks for asking about my son---- no phone calls for weeks, but in his letters he sounds great----  he is doing far better than I am with it....   thanks!

Few questions/comments regarding your stay above...

The Schooner Inn is 2* rated by PRICELINE, would this be an acceptable hotel?

If you search our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com you can easily see all of your options along the beach/oceanfront. After you search use the price slider on the left side of the page to only show hotels that are priced less then your current budget ($165?? or perhaps a little higher to see if there is anything better offered for just a few dollars more??)

You can then also filter by star rating to only shows hotels that are above a certain star level.

The above should give you a very good idea of your options if you decide to choose a hotel with a specific location.

If you decide to go the PRICELINE / HOTWIRE route, note that HOTWIRE's Virginia Beach zone is quite large and includes quite a bit of area that is inland... however, PRICELINE divides this same area into two different zones, Virginia Beach Area and Virginia Beach Oceanfront. The 'area' zone may not work for your needs if you want to be directly on/near the beach, but if you can accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundaries of the 'Oceanfront' zone, then this may be an option for you.

Did you find anything thru MAPS and HOTELS.com that meets your needs (and better than the Schooner Inn), OR if you want to try bidding on PRICELINE, let us know your desired star rating and maximum bid price and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Up in the header is "Hotel Lists".  If you click that and follow on through, you can find the hotels other members have reported here as getting via Priceline bidding, Priceline Express, and Hotwire.  It might give you some additional information before taking the plunge.   

Do look carefully at those maps.  If there is a hook in the edge way out, you can assume there is a hotel there and you could get it.  Think worst case when deciding if a zone is for you or not.

Romelle

Thanks for your help.   Using the Maps and Hotels link, I am only finding 2* hotels if I set my price up to $200.....     

2* Oceans 2700  $171
2* 19 Atlantic Hotel  $119
2* Alamar Resort Inn  $139
2* Royal Clipper Inn & Suites  $149
2* Newcastle Hotel  $189
2* Sandpiper Inn & Suites  $119
2* Howard Johnson Virginia Beach Near The Beach  $140
2* The Schooner Inn  $164

I am willing to go higher than 164, so maybe I should try Priceline?    A 3* would be great....

One last question---  It seems as tho I will not be able to make sure we have 2 beds if I use Priceline-----   That might be a problem as our daughter will be traveling with us.   Is this the case with both Priceline and Hotwire?

It is the case with Price.line bidding (beds for two adults, so worst case could be a double or two twins), although one can contact the hotel after bidding and make a request.  

With PRICELINE EXPRESS one sometimes sees an amenity for requesting different bed configurations.

With Hot.wire one can put in either 2 adults and 1 child, or 3 adults.  The result might be a pull-out sofa or a cot, but there will be at least a second bed.  In fact, I just did that when traveling with my teen-aged grandson.  

Romelle

Do you see anything within your budget when searching HOTWIRE for the occupancy that you need OR any room configurations in PRICELINE EXPRESS that will accommodate your family's needs?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]