Priceline Hotel: Question About Booking Priceline Bids or Express for NYC

gafiltafish
By gafiltafish,
in

I was playing around with A LOT of different locations without NYC yesterday (Midtown East, Midtown West, Upper Westside, and the Upper Eastside) using the PL link but all my offers were declined for hotels in October ranging from a 3.5 star hotel to a 4.5 star hotel. I was reading previous bid history on here and bid up to $200 a night but still my offers were declined. 

When I then played with the PRICELINE EXPRESS deals for hotel stays within this week, they were significantly cheaper than purchasing way in advance. 

In any of your experiences, are you generally able to get better deals at the last minute versus way in advance?

Rates - especially in a giant market like NYC - can vary substantially from day-to-day with varying traffic, events and other factors.

That said, the issue in this case is that you are comparing a somewhat slower period (Summer) with Fall, which can be very expensive in NYC.

What are your desired date/s of travel and budget per night?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

See I would have thought summers in NYC would be busy because of kids not having to be in school. Is Spring cheaper than Fall in NYC?

It would be for a 3 night trip, either Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or Thursday, Friday, Saturday either in the fall or spring. Budget ideally is under $175. 

The absolute cheapest period is January to early March. April and into May get progressively more expensive. Late June and July/August are less expensive although not as cheap as the January-March period. September starts to get expensive again and prices are high throughout the Fall and into the early Winter. Particularly bad is the last week of November and the first week of December.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please let us know a little more about the trip - can you go any time in the Spring? Would you mind late March? What would be your desired star rating?

The issue does become the high degree of variability of rates in NYC. If you do not have a set of dates in mind, it becomes experimenting and trying one set of dates after another - and substantially different rates from set of dates to set of dates should be expected. You may find a random set of dates within your budget in the Fall, but the last week of March/first week of April is going to definitely be cheaper. Depending on your plans/budget, if you go early Spring you could potentially fit in another night if you wanted.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]