Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Philadelphia Suburbs (Plymouth Meeting Norristown) Philadelphia Marriott West

SteveinPhilly1
By SteveinPhilly1,
in

HI! I’m back for more help and guidance for my annual  August trip.

I need a single room for two nights 8/14-16 near Conshocken/Playmoth Meeting, PA. I have stayed as far away as Horsham in the past (at the Extended Stay – Dresher Road) – Last year $41. On PL. on 7/21 )(a month before)

I need at least a 2 star.

It’s two months away but I thought I’d look hoping for a better rate.

Here’s what I found. On PL regular there are no rooms less than $105 in Conshocken and Plymouth Meeting. The Days Inn in Horsham is $67 and ESA-Dresher is $76.

On PRICELINE EXPRESS the BEST deal is in Conshohocken – a 3.5 star for $57. Using PL star listing I’m guessing it is the Conshocken Mariott. Nice hotel but no breakfast buffet (worth $3.00 to $5.00) and on site parking is $20!!! (but there may be street parking a few blocks away. (Note that I use the room from 1am to 9am only).  Per Hotel. Parking is included in room rate but NOT through third-party sellers.

In past I’ve gotten the Residence INN Conshocken for about $50, the Spring Hill Suites years ago for same price but have stayed at Days Inn or Extended Stay in Horsham for $40-$50/night

So a question: since it appears I can get the Marriott through Express Offer for $59, can I bid and try for less and what would your guess be? I would only bid on the 3.5 level as that is highest. Is that right?  On Regular PL the Marriott is $150! They must have no events those nights.

If I can get it down lower I might be able to pay for the parking and still have a good price. Thoughts? I ALWAYS always bid through BB [url=http://www.betterbidding.com/clicks/click.php?afsrc=1&id=40]PRICELINE[/url] link.

Given the $59 PRICELINE EXPRESS rate what would be your maximum bid for a 3.5* in the Plymouth Meeting-Conshohocken zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That's sort of what I was asking you?  How low do you think I can start? It seems to me that if I can get $59 without bidding I can get for less bidding. I'm thinking $45, then $49 24 hours later. I can have second bid because I'm at highest there. Or - am I corect that I could bid $45 for 3.5 star PM/Conshocken and if rejected add Horsham at 3.5 star at $49 since there are no hotels in Horsham over 3 stars I'd be safe, right.

Or do you think I'm being unrealistic at $49 bid when pl Express is $59? (I'm still thinking about that parking fee if I can't find street pkg). I really don't need a 3.5 star but if it's MUCH cheaper or same as a 2 star I'll take it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

That's sort of what I was asking you?

Nope, two different questions. You're asking us how low you can start... we're asking you how high you're willing to bid.

When bidding 3.5* in the Philadelphia Suburbs region you have TEN re-bid zones available, so by telling us how high you're willing to bid we will start with an appropriate lowball bid and increase from there (so your beginning bid may in part be determined by the amount of your maximum bid)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I suspect that $49 won't be enough but if you want to give it a shot you can try the following:

When bidding 3.5* in this region you have TEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* Plymouth Meeting - Conshohocken...

Bid $35, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $38, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $40, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $42, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $43, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $44, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $46, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $47, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $48, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $49

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate place to post this but I wanted to alert folks looking - as I am - at Conshohocken-Plymouth Meeting. PRICELINE EXPRESS is currently offering the Marriott (a 3 1/2 star hotel) for $59 for the nights in august that I need. That's a good rate for a Marriott.  I have traditionally gotten the other 2.5 star and 3 star hotels in this region for around $50 on weekends. The problem is that the Mariott is not near any on-street or free pkg and they charge $20../night for parking. So at even $50 by bidding, you are paying $70/night with parking. Also, the other PL 2.5 and 2 stars all include breakfast (Residence Inn, Spring Hill Suites) which is certainly worth $8.00 pp. )

This makes it difficult when bidding this zone (at least for now - when the PL EXpress rate is $59.). If I bid - say $50 and even start at 2.5 stars, I might end up with Marriott which would, in the end, cost $70 night.

I'm still coming up with a plan but I wanted to share this with those looking for the lowest rates in this region.

Steve

...you are paying $70/night with parking.

Which is still better then the retail price of 2.5* and 3* hotels in the zone, which for these dates are currently selling at over $100+ per nite (so you can even throw in the cost of buying breakfast on your own and you it will still be cheaper than purchasing a lesser rated hotel thru traditional retail channels).

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you ultimately decide.

But based on experience - staying in Conshohocken at the Residence Inn - the rooms are just as nice and breakfast - included - is great and Free Pkg. I don't need a $70 room. I'll keep you. I use Price.line to get a hotel at the best rate I can for lowest level I'll accept. I was using the forum to just advise others bidding in this region that the only 3.5 star hotel is the Marriott and - when comparing to 2.5 or 3 star ones, they need to know that their cost will be $20 more per night.  I'll keep bidding on PRICELINE at lower price and lower rating. And will keep you posted.

Steve

It looks like that $59 rate is gone. I am not sure about the parking in the area, the hotel is bordered by residential areas, highways, and a river. I am not seeing any availability through Hot.wire in this zone. But, there is a McDonald's across the street, also a Wawa convenience store for an inexpensive breakfast and good coffee. However, I agree, the Residence Inn would be a great choice. By the way, right in front of the Residence Inn there is a great Bike trail that runs into the city and out to Valley Forge and beyond. Good luck.

It appears that parking is available as a special rate promotion, otherwise all guests must pay for parking.

Thanks! Actually I feel better that the Mariott $59 is gone on Express (though I could end up with it if I bid high enough. I used to also get the Courtyard which is near PM mall. No free breakfast but free pkg.

So, for now I'm bidding daily and stating in the 2 1/2 to 3.5 star in the "up to $50 range). I only use the room to sleep in (1am to 9am) and breakfast. I do live IN Philly but don't want to drive all the way home from the Folk Festival (in Schwenkville) which is reason for annual trip.

I only use the room to sleep in (1am to 9am) and breakfast. I do live IN Philly but don't want to drive all the way home from the Folk Festival (in Schwenkville) which is reason for annual trip.

So you don't want to camp out on the farm? ;)

You might consider making a cancelable back-up reservation.  Then you can try the lower bids right up to the last minute without getting nervous.  If you click on the blue "Priceline Bid Rejected" just above, it will take you to an explanation of cancelable rates.  But be sure to really read the fine print as to the cancellation terms.  

Romelle

Thanks Romelle but cancelable rates are really high in that zone (over $100).  I'm looking to top out at $51 for a 2 1/2 star or  $45 at a 2 star.  My backup plan as it gets closer is to look at Willow Grove-Horsham which is 15 minutres further away for me but in past years I've gotten either Days Inn or Extended Stay (which has a crummy breakfast!) for $41.00

So, since I don't need for 8 weeks I can keep on bidding.

I might have bought the Mariott in Conshocken via PRICELINE EXPRESS at $57 but the $20 pkg fee changed that idea. ;-)

I'm in a very similar situation, trying to bid on a hotel in this area (or nearby Valley Forge) in August.  I too am willing to accept a 2* hotel if it gets good user reviews.  And I recognize that some hotels in this area are charging for parking, which is very unusual for a suburban area - and paying $20 more for parking turns a bargain-priced room into maybe not such a great deal.

It's interesting, in the Plymouth Meeting area, Priceline name-your-price bids for 2* and 1* come with free parking, but 2.5* and up don't show that.  So if you're not willing to pay extra for parking (and I'm not), you're limited to the 2* (or less) places.

Right now I've found two pay-in-advance options with free parking, and I think they are both for the same hotel.  One is a Priceline Express 2.5* in Valley Forge for $58 ($69 with tax), with 7.0 user rating.  The other is the Comfort Inn in Valley Forge, which Priceline considers 2.5* and has a 7.5 user rating; booking it through the Comfort Inn (Choice Hotels) website with a pay-in-advance shows it at $71 ($76 with tax).  If I can't do better by gradually increasing my bid, I will take one of these options.

Regarding the question about how low to bid, start as low as you like, and then raise your bid every 24 hours.  (It says 2 hours above but this is the first I've heard of it - did Priceline change their policy?).  You can use "phantom" areas to rebid without waiting if you're bidding on a high-star property (e.g. 3.5*) but if you want free parking, you have to bid 2*, and there aren't any phantom areas for two stars.  I started at $30 - clearly unrealistic, but I've got plenty of time - and have been rejected at $43 so far.  If my bid is accepted, I will post on the appropriate forum.

Here's how my situation is similar but different from yours. Since I've booked a Friday and Saturday in August for the last 10 years on PL, I'm sort of "educated" now. I need to be in either Plymouth Meeting (the BEST for me) or Conshohocen - a little further. When I have won PM it is usually the Courtyard which is in an office complex and free parking or the Residence Inn in Conshocken - also free pkg.  I think the ONLY PL hotel in PM/Conshocken is the Mariott and that is why I raised my question. I have no reason to be in VF (out of way for me. I'm better off in Ft. Washington or Wlillow Grove/Horsham. I can't think of any VF hotel with required paid parking. In Horsham I have gotten the Days Inn once (liked it) and twice I got Extended Stay America - Dresher Road. It's an extra 10 miles out of my way but $20/night cheaper. The only problem with ESA is the breakfast id crummy. It's called grab and go and is high fat packaged donuts and coffee. That it.

So If I lose out on Conshocken/PM up tio $52 for 2 star, I'll head to WG/Horsham or Ft Washington and should get one in low $40s. Fully cancellable are running $65 and PRICELINE EXPRESS are about $60

...It's interesting, in the Plymouth Meeting area, Priceline name-your-price bids for 2* and 1* come with free parking, but 2.5* and up don't show that.  So if you're not willing to pay extra for parking (and I'm not), you're limited to the 2* (or less) places.

...It says 2 hours above but this is the first I've heard of it - did Priceline change their policy?.

Even if one bids at a certain level, there is always the possibility of Priceline "up-grading" you.  So your 2* bid could win a 2.5* or higher hotel.   FYI.

Yes, Priceline has changed from 24 hours to 2 hours.  

Good luck to you too.

Romelle

PS - I hope you also have a Plan B as SheveinPhilly1 does?

So If I lose out on Conshocken/PM up tio $52 for 2 star, I'll head to WG/Horsham or Ft Washington and should get one in low $40s. Fully cancellable are running $65 and PRICELINE EXPRESS are about $60

Thanks.  I'm in the same boat and I may consider Horsham, even though it's out of my way (I'm headed west from there).  I'm up to $49 bids getting declined on 2* in PM/Conshohocken.

You mentioned staying at the Days Inn and ESA when bidding on 2* rooms in Horsham.  Do they charge extra for parking?  I see Priceline doesn't specify free parking when bidding for 2* hotels in that area.  They also have a 2* in Horsham for $53 through Priceline Express but again it doesn't specify free parking.

I see Priceline doesn't specify free parking when bidding for 2* hotels in that area.  

With Priceline bidding, when they specify amenities all hotels in that group have the amenity.  The absence of an amenity doesn't mean you won't get it, but on the other hand there is no guarantee you will get it.

Also, Hotwire tends to be a little more generous with stars than Priceline.  Maybe a 1/2 star.  So a 2 1/2* in Hotwire might be a 2* on Priceline.  The difference isn't consistent.  There are examples of hotels having the same rating from both, and also examples of hotels having a full star difference.  Plus, there can be hotels offered by Hotwire not offered by Priceline, and vice versa.  

Romelle

My stay is for the Philly Folk Fest. Yes, Freevb Parking at both. I HOPE for trhe Days Inn - big breakfast vs coffee and boring donuts at ESA. And there is no coffee at night at ESA - but I have gotten ESA for last two years. ESA is the one on Dresher Road in middle of office complex. Days Inn is on major Route 611.

As I said earlier I can't think of ANY hotel PM/Conshocken and Willow Grove Horsham that charges for parking EXCEPT the 3.5* Conshocken Mariott.

And my guess is that the $53 express deal in Horsham is the ESA (especially if a weekend.).  If that is acceptable yiu should be able to get for $49 or less. I'd start at $43. It's clean that's for sure  but boring for needs like evening coffee and breakfast.

Hope this helps.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]