Has Priceline Changed?

lizzzys
By lizzzys,
in

So I've been renting cars and hotels via Priceline bids for years and years now with excellent success and scored some great deals. Lately though, I'm having difficulty getting any kind of deal, really. It seems like when Priceline came out with their Express Deals, something changed. 

Here is an example of my frustration:

I need a rental car in Las Vegas for two upcoming trips. 

1. May 13 - 16 (tomorrow!)  I've been bidding up to $17 per day for everything between economy and mid-size for the past week with no success and I've always been able to get a car in Vegas for about $11 - $13 per day. I figured maybe they were holding out until the last day, but here I am within 24 hours of arrival and still no hits. I can rent one without bidding on Priceline for $19 per day so I can't understand why something as close as $17 isn't hitting. Are there no discounts at all?? Also, Priceline has introduced rentals through places like Payless and E-Z car rental but the "agreement" says that it's just a quote.... and many reviews on these companies are negative because they jack the price up after you arrive. I don't like the sounds of that. 

2. July 16 - 24  -- I've been bidding and looking at this date since January. The lowest I've seen is $22/day and I've bid up to $18/day. I stopped bidding a few weeks ago thinking it would come down closer to my departure but now (after seeing what's happening with my other trip) I'm not so sure. 

I've noticed the same with hotels. Everything seems way out of whack from what I used to get (just a year ago)  Priceline doesn't seem so great anymore. :/

Liz

So I've been renting cars and hotels via Priceline bids for years and years now with excellent success and scored some great deals.

Since your last reported win to the board was 5+ years ago, it's difficult for us to comment since we don't know the deals that you had been getting (seasonality issues, special events, low/high season, etc)... please begin to share your wins with the board so that others can benefit from the information, and we will then in the future be a in a better position to answer any questions regarding your trips as we would then have a point of reference.

Generally speaking, 'yes', the deals are still there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]