Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) The Godfrey Hotel Chicago

AaronJB
By AaronJB,
in

Suite W 1 Kg Sep Lvg Area W Slpr Sofa Free Wifi 

Restaurant, business, free wifi

-------------

Late Birthday staycation.

Thrilled to be able to try out this property, which is literally a new build as of about a year or two ago. Boutique property but not overly trendy - subtle, attractive and rather small lobby. The building itself is very cool, with a beautiful and highly unique industrial look. Visually, it's a great addition to the area.

Was initially told no rooms ready after arriving a few hours early, but manager on duty stepped in and found a room - fantastic first impression, got to check in over three hours early. 

Room itself was spacious, fresh and quietly stylish with a nice, mid-sized living area. Living area offered a couch with separate TV, plus sink and frig - a few "mini bar" items were on the table instead of in the frig, which I thought was really nice to give people the option to use the frig for their things instead.

Bedroom was large with another fairly giant TV. Bathroom was shower only, but big. Not a huge suite, but plenty of room and very comfortable. Decent views in two directions. Free wifi.

Some other nice touches, including master lighting controls on a panel in the living room and by the bed.

At the early check-in, was told being moved to a room on one of the highest floors and given the situation at this hotel, this proved quite lucky. There is a restaurant on the fourth floor of the hotel that turns into a club at night. I'm not real thrilled with the hotel/club combo, but the W Hotels do it well with the Living Room area. 

There have been some fairly significant noise complaints about this property online, including a recent review in the New York Times that was published a few weeks ago. Additionally, with the club/restaurant having a retractable roof, I would not want to be in a room right above that (as the NYT critic apparently was...) with music blaring into the early morning hours. It's one thing to have the music playing loudly, but to have the music playing loudly with the roof open until the early hours of the morning seems like it's just asking for complaints from people in the floors right above. The New York Times critic, whose room overlooked the club area, noted that even earplugs were not enough.

You have to have a room key (NFC room keys here, I'm guessing I'll be using my phone as a room key at many hotels not that far in the future) to use the elevator after 10PM.

Location is terrific - easy walk to River North restaurants, as well as Michigan Ave. This property of course offers room service, but with the sheer number of restaurants nearby no real reason to use it.

Additionally, there's a Whole Foods literally two blocks away.

The Felix Hotel (which is apparently a sister property) is literally next door. That hotel's restaurant actually looked quite appealing, but wound up instead at La Madia (which, like so many other restaurants in River North, is an easy walk from this property) for pizza.

Overall, would stay at this property again in a second if I could guarantee a suite (via PRICELINE EXPRESS/Bed Choice) and on a higher floor (call the hotel and hope for the best.)

Really liked my stay quite a lot, but there is a definite risk here for room noise depending on where you end up in the hotel.

Used PRICELINE link.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]