Priceline Hotel: Need suggestions for a 4 Star, April 10-15, somewhere between L.A.& SAN

Adam81980
By Adam81980,
in

My girlfriend and I will be on vacation in Southern California for two weeks in April. We have five days between April 10-15 that we have yet to book a hotel for. We'd like to stay in a 4-Star or above. Be close to either LA area or San Diego (or somewhere in between) but preferably not in the downtown itself or In a commercial/industrial area or airport hotel. Somewhere more relaxed and vacation like.

We'd prefer to avoid hidden resort fees and parking fees, but accept these might be the norm for a lot of hotels in these areas? Total budget would be up to $250 per night (including resort and parking charges) Would prefer something in the $170-200 range.

We have no idea where to go to find the best value for our money? We're also unsure if we're better off bidding or taking Express Deals vs. paying standard rate for a 3.5 Star?

Does anybody have any suggestions on where we could go, or where we'd get more for our money? Either LAX or SAN areas.

Would Arizona be an option? Sometimes can resorts in the phoenix area be scored for good money.

We're also unsure if we're better off bidding or taking Express Deals vs. paying standard rate for a 3.5 Star?

Never pay rack rate if you can avoid it ;) it depends on so many things, there's no general answer on this. Are you comfortable with an "unknown" hotel so go with PRICELINE. If you have any specific city/area in mind so please post the details and we'll take a look at this.

If you're trying to target a specific property then HOT.WIRE can often be a better option if you're successfully able to identify it based upon the star rating and amenities shown before your purchase... the trade-off is that HOT.WIRE usually costs a little more than PRICE.LINE, so you need to decide what is most important to you for a given stay, the lowest possible price OR the ability to take an educated guess as to the property you may receive.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll go from there

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Yellowdog

You might also try posting your request for destination ideas in

FLYER TALK.

People there can be surprisingly helpful.  Well, yes, there are plenty of flamers, but if you come in slow and easy you should be safe  :) .  Mention a little about yourselves and the things you like to do.  

You've probably have to register first before being able to post.

The area is beautiful though, if you can find a little spot not so over-populated and over-developed.  

Romelle

Arizona isn't an option as we're booked to fly to SFO, and then taking the train to LA and picking up a rental car there. We also have a week booked in Palm Springs. We did a shorter trip this past December. Flying to SAN and then driving to LA-Palm Springs-SAN. So we have a general idea of the area and the coastal communities in between. Just don't know the best areas for the best deals.

We've been suffering through New England winter. We really just want to relax in the sun for a few days.

I played around for you using your price range, location (not in the heart of the city), and being "vacation like" which to me means beautiful landscaping and nice pool area. I've lived in LA and San Diego, but also know Orange County well which is also a very good option for you because it's between LA county and SD county. I just used Priceline Express to get an idea. 

Using your dates:

4 star Mission Bay for $122 a night would most likely either be:

Hilton San Diego- I used to go bike riding in front of this hotel all the time. Beautiful property, pool area nice. 

Hyatt Regency Resort and Spa in Mission Bay- I've used the spa facilities here (they have a good deal going on with TravelZoo right now for a massage). The hotel is a little out of the way from other hotels and restaurants, but their restaurants on the property are good, and they have an awesome pool and water slide which overlooks Mission Bay. It does have mixed reviews on Tripadvisor but I love Hyatt and think I would love this hotel if I stayed there (I could use my free night there when I go back 2 days before you for a day, but they already sold out of those gold days sadly). The property is an older Hyatt though so if you really want a newer more modern hotel, you may not really like it. 

Paradise Point- I went here for a party. This to me feels the most "tropical" out of all the places. Would have no problem being here either. Pools look nice. 

THESE ARE ALL REALLY NICE PROPERTIES!! They do not include the resort fee and parking fee, but given your price range you would be fine and have $$ left over. Maybe use the extra $$ for an upgrade to a bay view. Mission Bay is a good area to consider because it isn't industrial and really just has the beach, the bay, and some mid to high end hotels. 

La Jolla has a 4 star showing up for $150 which looks like it probably would end up being La Valencia which is a beautiful, boutique hotel. You would be walking distance to La Jolla Cove, shopping, art galleries, and restaurants, but the area is definitely cramped. 

Carlsbad has a 4 star showing up for $133 which seems like it could be the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort (not really sure on that though). Property and pool looks amazing but given the proximity to Legoland you could have kids all over the place (may not be a factor to you, but I don't like being around kids during my vacation time). 

If you consider Orange County:

4 star Newport/Huntington Beach for $97 (maybe they are doing renovations to be offering it that cheap?) looks like it may be The Fairmont Newport.

----

I honestly would go with the 4 star Mission Bay hotels. I think if you used the Express feature you would get a great price on a nice property, in a good area, and have it feel like a real vacation. You could probably also upgrade for a nicer room. 

I tried doing Coronado for you too but the only have one 4 star hotel left and it's way above your price range.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]