Priceline Hotel: Portland downtown help - 4/22-24

chris55812
By chris55812,
in

Never been to Portland before.  Is it always this expensive or is something going on the days i'm there??

We're coming in on the train from Seattle on Wed 4/22... leaving via PDX on Fri 4/24.

Would like to avoid renting a car, so we want to stay downtown. (We'll cab it to the airport).

Any chance of a decent property around $80 within walking distance of downtown sites?

Bidding help appreciated!!!

-J.C.

• 1 month later...

Holy cow... thanks for thinking to remind me of this on the other thread!!

I had actually abandoned this trip as I didn't think I was going... but it came back to life just in the last few days.

I failed to remember I posted this.

Would love a 4*... certainly would settle for 3-3.5*.

After seeing what's out there, I'd probably go to $120 (?) total for a 4*... maybe $100 for a 3/3.5.

God I love this site!

Thanks.

Thank you so much for your compliments on Betterbidding! :)

Unfortunately, this is a seriously expensive period in Portland to the point where I'm guessing there's a convention or other event. Given the rates I'm seeing for these dates a 3.5*+ will likely take over $200. Are any other zones acceptable?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

regarding other zones... I don't know Portland all that well, and we don't want to have to rent a car... so we are trying to focus on something in the downtown or very-near downtown areas.

I just booked 2* University Hotel and Convention Center for straight-priced $99/nt (used BB's PRICELINE link)... just so I have something to fall back on.

It's cancellable, so I'm still looking for something better.

Rates are skyrocketing, though.  

There has to be something big going in in Portland during these dates.

I don't know how large of an event is, but there is a Civil Engineers Structural Engineering Conference taking place during your stay, and it is a 5 day event, so i assume it is likely somewhat large. As well, and perhaps less of a contributing factor (but still a factor), is the NBA Playoffs taking place over your dates, of which the Portland Trail Blazers are still in the running.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know whatever you ultimately decide for this stay and if you keep your current reservation... you can also try MAPS and HOTELS.com to see if anything closer to Downtown is available near your budget.

Good luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

FYI:

The MAX light rail Red Line is the easiest way to travel to and from the airport.  

The trip between the airport and downtown Portland takes about 38 minutes.  

An adult ticket costs $2.50 (Youth $1.25, *Honored Citizen $1). MAX ticket machines return change in coins, so small bills are recommended.

You can roll your luggage on board.

The first train of the day arrives at PDX at 4:45 a.m. The last train departs PDX at 11:50 p.m.

The MAX station and ticket machines are located on the lower level, next to the south baggage claim area (turn right at the base of the escalator).

For complete schedules and more information, visit www.trimet.org/schedules/maxredline.htm.

The Downtown Airport Express by Blue Star runs every 30 minutes and costs $14 one-way.  

Cabs run between 20 and 40 minutes and cost about $35 pre-tip.

And my personal favorite Portland thing:  http://voodoodoughnut.com

Romelle

*Honored Citizen translates to Senior.

Thanks for the advice, Romelle.

I was debating cab vs MAX vs shuttle van to get from the hotel to PDX.

We won't have a car, so we'll be using MAX for a couple days while we're there already - including getting from the train station to the hotel.

As for the bidding, I think I'm going to end up using the 2* University Plaza Hotel and Conference Center that I booked for $99/nt.

The reviews aren't awful, and I already contacted the property with a question and got a very nice, prompt response.

So we're going to roll the dice with them.

I may try a hail mary bid while on the road next week... but the rates are just astronomical, so barring a last-second cancellation somewhere, I doubt I'll get anywhere close to my target price.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]