Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Madison Square Garden - Hell's Kitchen) Affinia Manhattan

bensy
By bensy,
in

This will be my partner and I first time to New York. We really are unsure what area to stay, probably in a hotel near a subway with easy access to JFK.

Searching PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal, I saw a hotel 3star pets allowed and bed choice available, for $111. In Empire State area. No guest rating was posted. Is this a good deal? Which hotel could this be? Could this be a new hotel or they just simply did not post the reviews (unfavorable?)

thanks

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The PRICELINE EXPRESS property would likely be the Nh Jolly Hotel Madison Towers and that would be my best guess.

While an 'acceptable' hotel (it should be clean and safe but don't expect any 'over and beyond' service or luxuries) i don't think you will likely find too much else at this price point, as this is high season for NYC... so while far from the best hotel in NYC, at this price i think it's a good value if you're not expecting/needing much.

If you think this is an acceptable property please use this PRICELINE EXPRESS link to purchase... or if not, let us know your maximum budget for this stay (per nite before fees/taxes) and we will try to help you find something that meets your needs.

I'm local to the area so feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

In hotwire, I saw $159 for Madison Square Garden - Hell's Kitchen area 4-star hotel with the following amenities

Pet friendly

Smoke-free rooms

Fitness center

Restaurant(s)

Business center

Self-service laundry

Internet access

* still gathering reviews

and $151 for a Midtown Central area 3.5 star hotel with the following amenities

Pet friendly

Boutique hotel

Fitness center

Restaurant(s)

Business center

Self-service laundry

Internet access

Spa services

By the way, we prefer a hotel with self-service laundry due to length of our stay

Will any of these be a good deal / nice hotel and location? with easy access to JFK (we expect to have 2 suitcases each)

thanks

For the 4* MSG I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above? Using this method, below is the full list of amenities i'm seeing for the 4 star hotel in this zone when searching for your dates:

Pet Friendly

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... if this is what you're seeing, a new amenity set and upgrade of the Affinia Manattan would be my best guess for this one.

For the MTC property my guess would be the Shoreham New York.

Few comments regarding your goal(s) for this stay before discussing the hotels above:

easy access to JFK - we hear requests similar to this all the time and my advice is not worry how close/far the airport is, stay in a location that is convenient for your plans this trip. You will be in NYC for 13 nites vs. traveling to/from the airport twice during this trip... pick a good hotel for the 13 nites of your trip rather than for the two times you need to get to/from the airport. Do you want to stay someplace that is 15 minutes closer to the airport (which you need to be near twice) but 15 minutes further from the activities you want to do during your trip (which takes place over 2 weeks)? You are coming to see NYC... not to see how close you can stay to the airport. ;)

self-service laundry - while i'll be less emphatic about this one than the one above, a laundry in the hotel would be more a convenience (in NYC) then a necessity (as it would be in many locations). A very high percentage of NYC apartment dwellers do not have laundry facilities in their apartments nor in their buildings, so you will not be very far from a laundromat for the one (possibly) two times you will want to do laundry this trip. As well, most laundromats and dry cleaning locations offer drop-off wash-n-fold service... so if you don't want to spend precious moments of your vacation time doing laundry, you can always drop it off and pick-up the very next day all. If you do choose to go to a laundromat to do it yourself, use it as an opportunity to blend in with the locals and maybe you can pick-up some insider info for things to go in the neighborhood during the rest of your stay.

OK, onward to the two hotels guessed above...

The Affinia Manhattan has some smaller rooms that are often given to customers how have not purchased direct... some have been upgraded to a 'regular' room (which at this hotel are on the larger side for NYC) just for asking, some have had to pay an upgrade fee, and some have been told that no upgrade is available at any price. Other than the possibility of a small room, this hotel generally gets good reviews and would be a convenient location (and although a non-factor, in my opinion, would be easy commute to/from JFK via the Long Island Rail Road as the hotel is located directly across from Penn Station)

If correct on the Shoreham, this hotel does not get as good of reviews at the Affinia Manhattan, but mostly due to the reviews being wide across the spectrum (as opposed to their being one underlying known issue with the hotel)... i think the vastly different reviews are likely due to the room sizes being vastly different throughout the hotel (a common occurrence in NYC) and the size of the room often effects overall comfort and experience. This hotel would not be as easily accessible via mass transit, but certainly do-able (or a $10-$12 taxi ride once you arrived into Penn Station)

So bottomline is that there is a room size risk with both properties (and likely will be with most NYC hotel) with the Affinia having the slight edge in over user experience.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

HOTWIRE rates are known to fluctuate a little from one search to the next so i'm assuming this is not likely due to any change in demand, however, as this is an extended stay, if even just one nite of your stay has a sharp increase in demand, it can easily change the rate for your complete stay and/or the hotel can disappear entirely.

You can try THIS LINK (confirm your dates of travel, zone, and the amenities for the listing are correct) to see if you're given the previous rate.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Congratulations on your (partial) success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and are looking forward to this leg of your stay.

Not too far from your hotel i recommend this place for breakfast as they currently have one of the best bagels in the city, imo:

Best Bagel and Coffee

225 West 35th St (between Seventh and Eighth Avenues)

Thank you for sharing your win with the board. For help with, or to report a win for, the remaining nites please start a NEW TOPIC.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]