Priceline Hotel: Three adults, one room

ajohnson23
By ajohnson23,
in

I am visiting NYC from 3/25-29 with my sister and another girl friend. I have used the better bidding strategies for Priceline with great success in the past,but it was only for two people. We are looking for a 4.5-5 star hotel. I prefer to use Priceline, but because we have three, but would it be best to use Hotwire?

Thank you for any advice!

PRICELINE bidding guarantees one bed/double occupancy. The issue varies, depending on what city you are going to. In a place like Orlando, two beds may not be a problem. However, in NYC, with the small rooms in the city and the fact that two beds often go for a premium, if you do bid there is a high probability you may only get one bed.

Better options would be PRICELINE EXPRESS (you can look for a listing with bed choice and see if one of those choices is 2 beds) or HOTWIRE (searching for the amount of people in the party should result in 1 + sofabed, 1 + rollaway or 2 beds.)

Please let us know if you need assistance trying to ID a particular listing on either service.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

What are the dates of your stay and your expected budget (per nite before taxes/fees)?

Which zones are acceptable?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you your input. The dates of stay are 3/25-29. I would like a 4-5 star hotel for $250 per night or less. The zones I am interested in are Central Park south, Chelsea, ESB, Midtown East, midtown west, Times Square, Upper east side, upper west side. I prefer Priceline because I feel that I can get a better rate, but if two beds are not an option with Priceline, I will check out Hotwire and PL express. I always use the links on the board when doing my research and booking and will do so for this trip as well. Thank you!

You may get a better price with PRICELINE, but if you end up with a room that only has one bed... how good of a deal would it be? ;)

HOTWIRE, or a PRICELINE EXPRESS offer that shows two beds in the room, would be a better option.

HOWEVER, rates for these dates don't look too bad and there is a chance that you might be able to get a 4* for $125/nite... so getting two rooms would be right at your $250 limit. (and would make getting ready to go out each day/evening a bit more manageable and less crowded)

Lastly, regarding your acceptable zone above:

CPS - has the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms

MTE - most hotels are well located, but a few can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway

UES/UWS - typically not the most convenient for the average NYC visitor

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you so much for the advice. As far as the zones are concerned, we are not interested in hitting up every touristy type venue, but to soak in the local culture and just take in the city. We have tickets to a show and want to eat and drink our way through the city, maybe taking in a food tour or two I've only been to NYC a couple of times. Any recommendations on good zones to stay would be great. I also love a great hotel with good service. We want to walk and utilize the subway as much as possible. Any Thoughts on the best zones to stay?

A few highlights from what I'm seeing:

You may see slightly different rates on Hot.wire:

Empire State Building 4* $200 Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Pet Friendly. 

-- Not yet ID'd/reported to the board, but possibly a new amenity set for the Affinia Dumont or Affinia Shelburne.

MTE 4.5* $215 Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Tennis, Spa. 
--  Not yet ID'd, but may be a new amenity set for the Benjamin or the Grand Hyatt upgraded to 4.5*.

Chelsea 4* $203 Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower

-- Possible match for Hilton Fashion District

MTC $200 4* Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry.

-- Possible match for Park Central.

Would any of these be of interest?

Any recommendations on good zones to stay would be great.

The only 'true' tourist-y zone is Times Square... everything else will have a mix of tourists, locals, and business travelers.

The idea is to stay centrally located so that nothing is too far away, which is why i don't recommend UES/UWS, unless you can be reasonably assured that the hotel is in the southern part of each zone. Even though Times Square is very touristy, it's not a bad place to stay since it is so centrally located and has multiple subway lines nearby (although the streets can certainly get quite congested, this can often be avoided by taking a side entrance to whatever hotel you are staying in and taking the side street east/west before traveling north/south)

With the above noted i'd stick with the previously suggested zone comments:

MTW, TS, MSG, ESB, Chelsea

Possible zones based upon previous comments above:

MTE, CPS

What were your thoughts regarding bidding on PRICELINE for TWO rooms vs. one room on HOTWIRE for 3 adults? What are your current thoughts regarding zones based upon my latest comments?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

So it's just going to be me and my sister on 3/25 and 3/26 and my friend is going to come up on Friday morning, 3/27. I think my sister and I will use Priceline for the first two days when we will be double occupancy and we will find another hotel, via either PL express or Hotwire for the rest of the weekend. This is a close friend we don't 'see very often an we want to all stay in one room. I'm noticing when I research (using your PL and HW LINKS) that most of the express or HW hotels that gave bed choices, still only have a single king or queen bed. I appreciate the advice on zones and I will focus my searchers on MTW, TS, MSG, ESB, Chelsea. If I need any help ID'ing hotels, I will ask, and I will certainly post my final bookings. Thanks for all the great advice!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]