DCA Washington IAD (Dulles) Compact Hotwire

JuanCo27th
By JuanCo27th,
in

Hello everybody.

This is my first post in this board and I have found very interesting information about car rentals and real cases.

Now, I would like to share my case.

I am planning to rent a car in IAD (Dulles Airport) from Dec. 23rd - Jan 4th through HOTWIRE.

I am residing currently in Japan and I am traveling for my early "honeymoon" with my wife to Washington.

(I am not a US resident but have my IDP and the license from my country)

After I get the car rental, I am planning to drive from Washington to New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and finally

going south until Florida (Orlando & possibly Miami) to visit relatives and friends.

For this, I have contacted (more than 2 times) each Car rental agency that Hotwire works with, and all have responded me

that if I rent a car with unlimited mileage, I can travel throughout the US territory.

I have also called HOTWIRE customer service (from Japan!) and they have also told me that if a car has

unlimited mileage, I can go anywhere inside the US territory.

All I wanted to know if anybody has had the same experience as me and have encountered surprises or hidden fees

as for this kind of rental. I have read several experiences here but I just would like to know that I am doing

everything I need to do to get no geographical restrictions (or hidden fees) or do I need to do or contact or any way,

do something else extra to confirm my booking.

Thank you very much for your support and help and I am sorry for such a long post. I await your response.

Best regards,

Juan

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you haven't yet, please start by reading your messages.

There are some areas where rental companies do limit things geographically, but i would move forward with your purchase without any concern. Once you win a car and know the rental company, i would email them directly and confirm that it's unlimited mileage and that there is no geographical restrictions. You'll then have email confirmation should you encounter any issues upon returning the rental car (although i wouldn't expect any problems) and if you receive an unfavorable response then contact HOTWIRE and ask them to either 1) resolve the issue, or 2) refund your purchase.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know whatever you end up doing for this rental or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Once you win a car and know the rental company, i would email them directly and confirm that it's unlimited mileage and that there is no geographical restrictions.

Thank you very much for your response.

I will do as such.

if you receive an unfavorable response then contact HOTWIRE and ask them to either 1) resolve the issue, or 2) refund your purchase.

Here I have some questions since I am getting a Hotwire Hot Rate, I am wondering if I would be able to indeed get a refund. I have saved the conversation by phone with the Hotwire agent telling me that there are no restrictions nor extra fees. I suppose I can show them that if they deny. Also show them the emails/facebook chats with the Rental Companies assuring me also.

Please, let me know if I can/have-to do something else or if anybody had a similar experience, what did you do?

Thank you very much and I await your response.

Best,

Juan

By definition HOTWIRE has a 'no refund' policy on their opaque rates (where you buy a travel product without knowing the name of the supplier before the purchase)... but historically HOTWIRE has been good in the past about honoring the descriptions provided. As the car you rent is described as 'unlimited mileage', if that should not be the case (due to geographic restrictions) i think (note: my opinion) that you would have a good grounds for a refund.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]