OH Cleveland Hyatt Regency Arcade Downtown

mcgervey
By mcgervey,
in

After submitting this review/post, I think I remembered that I may be wrong on the price. I believe that my total charge ended up being $103 or something like that, after fees and everything, so my bid may have been a little less than $45. I never bid less than $40 when I'm shooting for a downtown area though. So it may have been a little less. But my brother confirmed he got the Arcade for a $45 bid plus fees...

I'm new to this site, and this is a bit dated, but I thought it relevant because my brother also has gotten the Hyatt Arcade for $40+ bids, and I have gotten it twice. So they must snag quite a few, in that price range.

Exact dates I can't recall, but it was last January when the Lakers and Nuggets were playing in Cleveland on a weekend (Nuggets fri I think, and Lakers saturday). I'm a lifelong basetball nut and Lakers fan.

I won two nights at a $45 bid, and I think it was set for 3 stars. Usually I would bid $35-$40 before working up, but I wanted to make sure I got a nice hotel near the Gund.

The rooms were very tastefully appointed and comfortable. Fine quality soaps and shampoos. Decent tv selection as I remember.

This is a very unique property which is in the pre-1900's arcade building. There are a few levels of shops before the rest of the building is converted into hotel rooms. There is a wonderful atrium in the arcade area, and there is wifi connectivity throughout the whole building. BUT, it is $9.95 a day for wifi internet, unless you have a Verizon wireless account, which is the service provider. We stayed on the 6th or 7th floor of the tower, and the signal was pretty poor. I am told that you want the atrium rooms to get better signal.

I have heard though, that the atrium rooms in the arcade (the 3rd and 4th floors of the arcade are actually hotel rooms that open onto the arcade balcony) can be noisy in the morning from the hustle and bustle through the arcade below you.

There is a fine looking restaurant and art chic bar on premesis, though we didn't sample this fare. The menu looked impressive, as did the sunday brunch we glimpsed.

Parking will cost you $15 a day, and you can't take your car in and out or there is an additional charge! We actually were there for two days, but I think the front desk screwed up, because we were only charged for one day. If you want to move around with your car while you're there, check in and find other parking, or the hotel parking will rape you. It is valet parking. There is cheaper park yourself parking, but where it is you're probably better off going to one of the other private parking garages or trying to find something on street somewhere.

We were there in winter, and primarily for basketball, so I left the car in the valet and didn't worry about it. The House of Blues and Pickwick and Frolic are literally right across the street from the back entrance. From there you can walk 2 blocks to the Gund, or go into the Gund and take the enclosed and HEATED covered walkway over to City Tower and the theaters.

Here's a tip for internet users, WiFi is free in the arcade/mall of City Tower, and there are little coffee shops and such, and lots of seating. You can also take the train from City Tower (train/subway) around to the other side of town, the lake side, to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and/or the Great Lakes Science Center. The football stadium is also lakeside.

It's worth staying at the Hyatt Arcade just due to the beauty and historical nature of the building itself. There is no pool, but there is a decent sized exercise room with nice equipement and TV's, and it's down in the atrium/arcade area which has a nice feel to it. Down below the grand steps on the ground arcade level there is a food court that is open business 9 to 5 type hours. One place there has great greek gyros.

I doubt you get the Arcade for less than a $40 or $45 bid, with all the hotels in Cleveland that use Priceline, but it's worth it if you bid a little more and get it. Other hotels we have gotten in Cleveland for $45 bids include the Holiday Inn Express (also in a historic bank building which nice HUGE rooms with high ceilings and huge windows), and the lakeside Sheraton, which was a more modern building with average style rooms, but accomadated our request for a lakefront room putting us on a high floor with a nice lake view. So if you bid $45 in Cleveland, you're likely to get a pretty good deal. I think all of those rooms were of the over $100-rack rate variety.

Good luck.

RJ

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

A tiny correction so other readers won't get confused:

The proper names are: "Terminal Tower" and "Tower City Center." So when the writer says "City Tower" what is intended is "Tower City Center" (locals usually just say: "Tower City.") The Terminal Tower is the 708 foot, Neoclassical landmark building in Downtown Cleveland, completed in 1930. Beneath the Terminal Tower is the (former) Cleveland Union Terminal, which historically was the main railroad station. In the early 1990s, the Cleveland Union Terminal was converted to a shopping mall, called "Tower City Center." Fortunately, the conversion was very sensitive to the elegance of the original architecture....

As part of the original 1930 infrastructure, the light rail system in Cleveland, called Rapid Transit (locals call it "the Rapid") has a station here. This is the main stop in Downtown Cleveland, and the Rapid Red Line Westbound connects directly to Cleveland Hopkins Airport.

Good trivia: the Terminal Tower was the tallest building in the world outside of Manhattan from 1930-1964.

• 5 months later...

Fantastic! Beautiful setting, the staff were very pleasant and helpful.

We ended up with a King in a smoking room (there were only 2 double bed rooms left in the non-smoking areas), but they called one of the staff in to spray air freshener in our smoking room, and after that, you couldn't tell that anyone had been smoking in there.

Parking was $22 for valet with in & out services. Parking was available in the lot next door for $18 with no in & out services.

It is located in a great spot downtown, near lots of restaurants (we went to an Irish restaurant about 1 block south of the hotel, which was really nice). You can walk to the baseball stadium or Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in about 10-15 minutes.

Highly recommended!

• 11 months later...

We stayed at the Hyatt Arcade in Cleveland. It was a very nice hotel. The room was very large and clean. The view from the room, however, was terrible as it looked directly into the parking structure, but we weren't staying there for the view. The hotel is close (walking distance) to a number of restaurants, which was nice.

The only downside to this hotel is that the valet parking was $22.00 per day, and we were not in a position to find a self-parking facility. Otherwise, it was a very nice stay.

-David.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]