Priceline Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Intercontinental Chicago

swb120
By swb120,
in

First-time poster: I'm traveling to Chicago on 9/22 for one night with two of my sons, ages 8 & 11, to go to Wrigley & visit downtown Chicago, departing 9/23.  I was hoping to find a reduced rate for the Omni Chicago, since it is an all suite-hotel.  Using the Hotwire Easy View on biddinghelper.com, there is a 4.5* hotel for $211 with the following amenities:

FULL AMENITIES: Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access

I'm not sure if this is the Omni Chicago or the Hyatt Chicago.  Also, if anyone is aware of other hotels with suites for regular room prices, I would appreciate it.  Traveling with young boys, it's nice to have the extra space.  I also want to stay somewhere with a pool, again for the boys' enjoyment.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

This would be the Hyatt (on St Clair), which does have somewhat larger-than-average room sizes (but is not an all-suite hotel.) I do see another 4.5* in the same zone for a few dollars less w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Pet Friendly. This would be a possible match for the Thompson, which is in the Gold Coast area (easy walk to a subway station a few blocks away and if you don't mind a moderate walk, you could walk from here to Lincoln Park Zoo.

I am seeing a 3.5* on PRICELINE EXPRESS for $172 ($194 w/2 queen beds under bed choice) w/Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Breakfast, Free Internet in room, Business Center. This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but I'd guess this would be a possible match for the Kinzie. Again, not a suite, but free breakfast and if it is the Kinzie, great location.

I'm also seeing a 4.5* in the River North-NMA area on PRICELINE EXPRESS for $142 w/Indoor Pool, Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center. The Omni and Intercontinental have been seen with these amenities previously, but I'd guess it's much more likely the Intercontinental, unfortunately. Can't beat the location if it is the Intercontinental.

In terms of regular rate, I'm seeing studio suites (which are like larger regular rooms, but are not suites in the separate bedroom sense) at the MileNorth for $219, the Hilton Suites for $229 and a new Homewood Suites - although it's getting some mixed reviews - for $229. All of these prices are on the regular rate side of Price.line.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any suite options on the discount services, but if a regular room can work for the night, I do think there are some reasonably good deals to be had on what is otherwise unfortunately an expensive night.

Let me know if you have any questions before purchasing. If you do book regular rate, please use the site's Support Page links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you very much for your help!  I tried Priceline 5* for River North area (Park Hyatt or Trump Intl) with several bids up to $232, but was rejected each time.  While I would have liked additional space, it was hard to justify the price difference v. the Intercontinental.  I'm a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews, but the location is great and we're only staying one night.  And, most importantly to my sons, they have a pool!  Who knows, maybe they'll give me a complimentary upgrade.

Thank you again for the great information on this site, and for your helpful suggestions and posts!

Congratulations on your success!

While not your first choice in the zone, glad to see it was the hotel guessed and that you're pleased with the outcome.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

PS- if you haven't yet, please read your messages. Thanks!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Intercontinental is - I think - one of the most "uniquely Chicago" properties. It has a really cool history, including one of the first public pools on a higher floor (and the historic pool area is really very neat.)

You can read more about the hotel's history here: http://www.icchicagohotel.com/History

I didn't try it, but a number of people have said that the hotel provides an audio guided tour if you ask at the concierge.

I think you made the right decision in terms of price/value. The IC is a giant property so it is more convention/business hotel than it is boutique/personalized service, but I've enjoyed it. My only note is that - and this isn't really a huge deal - you may want to call ahead and try to get a room either facing West or East, if possible. The rooms in the newer tower that face North look square into the next building.

Let me know if you have any Chicago questions.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]