Hotwire Hotel: 3* Buffalo (Downtown) Adams Mark

leopardprint
By leopardprint,
in

I'm trying to book a room for a friend for 8/8 through 8/13. I have used Priceline for years and never had this much trouble getting a good deal!

His event is downtown, but any of the areas surrounding the downtown (within ~10 miles) would also be okay -- however the Niagara areas are a little too far.

I have bid up to $78/night over the past few days, starting with a 3* level and then lowering to 2.5*. I don't want to go any lower as neither of us are big fans of the room doors that open to the outside, and that's often what you get at the 2* and 1* levels.

Absolute max budget would be $90/night, but we really don't want to go that high if not absolutely necessary. However, rack rates are truly insane... $118 for a Red Roof Inn?!? That's outrageous, IMO.

Any idea what may be driving the prices up? Just the fact that it's summer, and people vacation in Niagara? I'm starting to panic a little, since his trip is only ten days away and I haven't had any success yet... :(

Some events taking place during your stay:

Buffalo Beerfest: Aug 8

Erie County Fair: Aug 6-17

Both may be contributing factors to the high demand you're seeing, although i suspect the fair is the main culprit.

It looks like you may be able to pair two PRICELINE EXPRESS purchases to get (what appears to be the same) 3* in the Buffalo-Amherst zone for $100/nite, should this be of any interest to you.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or if your friend will be making the purchase please ask him to use the search boxes as the top of the board, or the logos within them, to start his purchase)

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow! Thank you both - great insight to know that it seems to be the first two nights causing the issue.

I'm going to talk to my friend about possibly splitting the week up into two different hotels. Will let you guys know the end result.

If it helps, the acceptable zones by name are-

Most preferable: Downtown, Buffalo East, West Seneca

Less preferable but okay at the right price: Amherst, Airport, South Buffalo

Have you seen the Hotel Lists for Buffalo yet?  Down at the bottom of the page, starting on the left hand side are links for both the Price.Line and Hot.Wire lists of hotels other members have reported.  

If you continue to be stuck for those 1st two nights, maybe it will help you consider a slightly lower star levelsfor them.  You could also check out the Hotel Reviews on this site (clear at the end), and in Tripadvisor, to further sort out the zones  between " humm ... possible" and "no way".  Of course there is no guarantee you would get one of the hotels on the lists, but it could help you avoid some known low review ones.  

Romelle

Hi Romelle,

Thanks. Yes, I'm familiar with the lists. Any room with an exterior door is a dealbreaker, though, and that's most 1* and 2* hotels. I would be very hesitant to book at that level for that reason, mainly.

In my past experience, I've stayed at some high star (3* and up) hotels that had poor reviews, and everything has always been fine. I have only been terribly disappointed with one of my Price.line /Hot.wire wins, and in that case I think it was because the amenities qualified the room as either a 2.5* or 3* (don't remember now), but the quality of the bed and the room itself was 1*. AWFUL. lol. But most of the time I'm very satisfied.

Alright, wrapping up this fiasco, LOLOL...

My final bid prices were $95 for a 2.5* in multiple regions, and $83 for a 2* in multiple regions.Still no luck,

My friend decided to book nights 1 and 2 through Hotels..com. The last I talked to him, he was looking at the Microtel by the airport at $95/night. For nights 3-5, he used Hotwire (he did it himself instead of me since it was no bidding). I wasn't going to report the win here since he didn't use the board link. (Sorry guys.) I did help him identify which hotel he was going to get, though, and I was right - woot for that.

Everyone's help was much appreciated. I sure hope this terrible bidding experience was a fluke and not the sign of things to come with PL and HW. :(   Because in the past I've had about 95% wonderful experiences and deals using them.

Rates are really very dynamic based on traffic/demand - I wouldn't take what is unfortunately a tough period as an indicator for future stays in general.

It would be greatly appreciated if you did share the information regarding the win as the information still does help others.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hope your friend does enjoy their stay.

Per board moderators, I'm reporting this win that a friend of mine had. Unfortunately, since I didn't make the purchase, I am unsure of what amenities he was shown.

For future reference, there is a parking fee at this hotel. I believe it is $10/night, with in-out privileges, which isn't bad.

EDIT: I used the "reply and report win" link. I assume the win went to the win board. :)  The hotel was Adams Mark downtown.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]