Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* San Francisco (Civic Center South - Hayes Valley) Hotel Whitcomb

cunparis
By cunparis,
in

I need some help with a hotel for the beginning of August.  our dates our flexible but we're planning July 31 for 4-5 nights.  I don't know anything at all about SF.  We will have a suburban SUV ("free upgrade from minivan from the rental car company, I'm not sure it was a good idea).  So we'll need a hotel with parking.  I guess some hotels may have paid parking, in the past I've seen around $20/day.  If that has in/out privileges that's fine.  I'll take it into account with the price.  But when I search on HOTWIRE it doesn't mention parking for most of the hotels.

the other issue is we have 2 adults, 2 kids, and a baby.  For the baby we have an inflatable baby bed.  Last year with our trip with the baby we couldn't put 5 into the search engines because the hotel websites said we wouldn't fit in a room.  But in reality we just need a room with 2 queen beds and we never had any issues with that.  But that was reserving directly, I haven't done this with HOTWIRE.  I know PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

PS: If hotel doesn't have parking, we could park in a lot and just not use the car for our stay in SF.  Last time I was in SF for a day trip the parking was $20/day.  That was many years ago. :)

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Bar Harbor Priceline thread (post what you decided for that stay within that thread, then reply to this thread and we will be happy to take a look at the above post.)

Additionally, please provide your desired budget per night for this stay. Parking at many hotels is likely going to run $40-60+ but you may be able to find a garage separate from your hotel for less.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I updated the thread, thanks for the reminder.

For SF, $40-60/day parking is quite high.  I'm not sure how to do this city on a budget.  Perhaps we should stay in a hotel a bit out of the city in a cheaper area and take public transport?  I don't know how public transit works there.  I think for a family of 4, the trains into SF will add another $20+ per day but that'd be an option too.  Or just get a cheaper hotel outside the city and drive in and pay for daily parking??   I like having a room in the city because we can go back to take breaks.

You can almost always find cheaper parking than directly thru the hotel... but this doesn't come with in/out privileges (which likely won't need in a city like San Francisco, which has a very good public transportation system, and you mostly intend to explore the city).

As an example (or worst case scenario if you wanted to determine your maximum cost for parking)... you could park at Long Term Parking at the airport (looks like ~$18/day) and then take mass transit from the airport to your hotel. Of course, with a family/kids in tow, you could drop everyone off at the hotel to check-in, unpack bags, etc, etc, while one person drives to the airport to drop off the car... at the end of the trip one person goes to pick up the car, while the other packs the bags, prepares to check-out, etc. Of course, this is assuming you don't find anything in the $20-$25 closer to the hotel, but this is a good 'worst case' scenario that should allow you to budget your hotel room cost accordingly.

With the above information, let us know your thoughts regarding zones, if you want to try to stay inside the city OR venture to the outskirts, and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I did some googling on this and we definitely want to stay inside the city if possible.  Your idea to drop the family at the hotel and then park in BART lot and come back to the hotel via BART is fine for me.  So this removes parking from the requirement.

I found $128 for a 2* Lombard street.  Or 3.5* Civic Center South - Hayes Valley area for $172.  I'm not sure which is better.  Since we have 3 kids we'll probably spend more time in the room than we would if it were just 2 adults.  So a nicer room could be useful.  I'm leaning towards the $128 for budget reasons and rough it out.  Lombard street seems a bit better located.

The lower price choice is no longer available, so that leaves $172 for 3.5* in South Convention Center - Hayes area.  It seems to be a hotel that is not in the list.

Amenities

Free Internet

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Accessibility

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

my wife is trying to get an apartment but I'm not optimistic about that.  If we don't hear back about an apartment I think I'll book this room tonight (using your link of course!).

Did you find alternate accommodations, book the HOTWIRE hotel above, or are you still looking?

If you're still looking, please include the dates that you're searching for as well as confirm if you're seeing the complete amenity set associated with this property, using either of the following methods:

1) use the EASY VIEW tab of our BiddingHelper.com and click the green 'See All Amenities' button

OR

2) search HOTWIRE (or use the HOTWIRE tab at BiddingHelper.com) and...

• click the offer
  • on the next page click the BOOK NOW link
  • in the TRIP SUMMARY box click the 'See more' link at the end of the amenities
Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

After exhausting all possibilities we booked this morning through HOTWIRE. I didn't want to use hotwire because they often sell independent hotels that don't always have good reviews. So I really use the tripadvisor reviews to help decide.

We got Hotel Witcomb which appears to be a new hotel for your hotwire list. I went to trip advisor and was shocked at the most recent reviews, including one complaining of bed bugs. so far I've never had a bad experience with HOTWIRE or PRICELINE so we'll see.

i used your HOTWIRE link right before I booked so I hope you get credit. Thanks for your help. I may be booking more on this trip. :)

Amenities:

Free Internet

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Congratulations on your success... hopefully you'll have a good experience at this property.

I believe there were likely more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

For future searches/bookings you can do the following to ensure you're seeing the complete list:

1) use the EASY VIEW tab of our BiddingHelper.com and click the green 'See All Amenities' button

OR

2) search HOTWIRE (or use the HOTWIRE tab at BiddingHelper.com) and...

• click the offer
  • on the next page click the BOOK NOW link
  • in the TRIP SUMMARY box click the 'See more' link at the end of the amenities
Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel Whitcomb was a disaster.  The hotel itself is below average, which I can live with.  But it's located in a very bad area.  Next to tenderloin which is dangerous, and near civic center on market which is a major homeless area.  It was shocking and we didn't feel safe with our kids.  We had homeless people come up and solicit us for money, one guy was urinating on the sidewalk, etc.  It was nasty.  The burger king across the street from the hotel had a full time police officer in the restaurant at night.  I can't believe HOTWIRE uses this hotel.  

I complained to hotwire and asked for a partial refund.  We'll see what they say.  This is the first time I've been disappointed in a hotwire hotel.  I recommend people not use the civic center area when looking for rooms.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]