Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Phoenix (Scottsdale) Courtyard Scottsdale North

KRXNLS
By KRXNLS,
in

We're planning a trip Feb. 12th for 8 days. First 4 in Phoenix, last 4 in Tucson. Flying in and out of Phoenix and picking up and returning a car in Phoenix.

I've been checking past posts and mapping out the Priceline borders as well as can but really need some advise as to where to bid.

Currently I'm thinking of Scottsdale (2.5 to 3 stars - not looking for anything fancy this trip) but is this the right decision.?

Would anyone suggest other areas as well or instead of. As I said, we will have a car for sightseeing but it would be nice to be walking distance to a few restaurants etc.

I think I'll leave the Tuscon segmant until Phoenix is sorted out but any info would be very, very appreciated.

And, Thereuare, I will, of course bid through SavingsBarn. com

Many thanks

Bidding in the Scottsdale zone goes from downtown Scottsdale to North Scottsdale. We've been lucky to get the Courtyard Marriott Scottsdale North and were pleased, and others have been able to win at the downtown Scottsdale Courtyard as well as the Hilton Garden Inn. All 2 1/2 *. We were fortunate to bid downtown Phoenix and nabbed the Courtyard Camelback for $34 for March...it's in a great location near the Biltmore Fashion Park with tons of restaurants around. This zone is a little tricky, because of some properties being somewhere in between downtown and the Biltmore area.

All in all, give Scottsdale a try. If you score downtown Scottsdale, you won't be too far from plenty of restaurants and also Scottsdale Fashion Mall, or whatever it's called. Tons of shopping from Downtown Scottsdale way up to North Scottsdale, with restaurants to match.

Good luck.

Thanks "Stroud" for the reply. I'd love to know what dates your are going in March so that I can compare the rates at the time with the rates when we are going. I am going to try Scottsdale first as Downtown is a bit of concern to me. I've read reports it's a bit "sleazy" in parts. I've noticed a few people getting the Hyatt downtown, would you know if the area around there is OK.

Thanks a lot

I think I'll leave the Tuscon segmant until Phoenix is sorted out but any info would be very, very appreciated.

I think you are saying you will be in Tucson for 2/12 - 2/16, is that right?

A couple of quick thoughts. Rental cars at PHX (Sky Harbor Airport) have ridiculous taxes and fees. Check for prices for rentals both on and off-airport. It might be worth it to take a shuttle or taxi to an off-airport location to pick up your rental car. Often, you can still drop off at the airport.

For the Tucson area, I would say Tucson East is the best area for 2.5* to 3* hotels. However, Tucson is pretty spread out and you might not have a lot within walking distance. (Hilton Tucson East is nice, but quite a ways out of D/T area, for example.) The 2.5* choices are quite good, though - you might get the Courtyard at Williams Center or the Residence Inn, for example. (See my previous posts, I won the Courtyard for dates in March for $42/night.) The Williams Center location would have some things within walking distance, not sure about the Residence Inn. And of course, there might be other properties that come up in place of these....

Tucson Central only has up to 2* and I wouldn't really want to take a chance on that area, although you could end up near the University which would be a good walking area. But you could end up in some iffy areas or properties, also, at least in my thinking.

But you could also try for some of the Resort properties in the North and Foothills area. For your dates, you might get a great deal on the Omni or the Westward Look. However, you won't have many things within walking distance.

We'll be staying the weekend of March 24/25. The web rate for the Marriott Courtyard Camelback is $219 for those dates, but got a winning bid of $34. Something must be going on that weekend because rental cars were tough to get and not cheap.

We've never been enamored with the Phoenix downtown area. I imagine you would have to pay to park at the Hyatt, but that's just a guess.

Try Z Tejas in the Scottsdale Fashion Mall or Jalapenos in North Scottsdale for some interesting Mexican style cuisine.

Apologies if this is a double post.

And sorry about the confusion over the dates, I must be having a series of "senior" moments.

We are staying in Phoenix Feb. 12th to 16th and Tucson Feb. 16th to 20th.

I went ahead and tried Phoenix/Scottsdale and was succesfull with the Marriott Courtyard North Scottsdale at $50.00 per night.

This was my first bid so there is always the niggling feeling that I started too high but I'm very pleased with the result. The AAA rate for those dates is $227.00 per night!

Scorp, thankyou for your reply and I will certainly take your advice. I will check car rates on and off the airport and we are just trying to make a decision whether to try for a Foothills resort or go cheap again and try for Tucson East.

If I can ask one more question. We are flying out of Phoenix around 2pm on Monday the 20th. Our plan is to drive to Phoenix from Tucson that same morning. Do you think this is a good idea?

Scorp, thankyou for your reply and I will certainly take your advice. I will check car rates on and off the airport and we are just trying to make a decision whether to try for a Foothills resort or go cheap again and try for Tucson East.

If I can ask one more question. We are flying out of Phoenix around 2pm on Monday the 20th. Our plan is to drive to Phoenix from Tucson that same morning. Do you think this is a good idea?

Yes, for the drive. It's roughly 120 miles and about a 2-hour drive, but it can be faster. Road is pretty good and driving conditions should be fine. Traffic usually moves pretty quickly along Hwy 10. The only time we had a problem was when we got caught in a torrential downpour and traffic slowed down considerably. I think we made the drive once from Phoenix airport to Tuscon city limits in about 1.5 hours, but that was driving fairly fast. You'll get a sense of any road work or maintenance on the way down.

I would start planning by allowing at least two hours for the drive and then add on whatever additional time you think you need for your flight check-in, etc. Also, the car rental area is under construction and the new rental return area may or may not be completed by your dates (opening is scheduled for early 2006). Read about this here:

http://phoenix.gov/AVIATION/support_conten...ar_flyerweb.pdf

So, you'll definitely have to allow time for that and for any additional meanderings on the way out of city of Tucson.

As for hotel/resort, why not try first for Foothills resort and then Tucson East? Sometimes, it is only $20 or so that separates winning bids for resort from the 2.5 or 3* hotels. But depends on what is most important to you. If you like to golf, staying at the resort will usually mean a reduced cost for green fees.

Also, Tucson has some good deals in their Passport. If you are interested in even 2 or 3 of the attractions listed, the $15 cost for the passport can be well worth it. See it here:

http://www.visittucson.org/static/index.cf...tID=110&Reset=0

You have to visit the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum while in Tucson. It's a must-do!!!

Also, I have discovered that Marriott properties will let you view your reservations even on Priceline stays and will guarantee a non-smoking room. You don't have to phone them, just go to the Marriott web site, and click on "Look up Reservations" at the top of the page. Enter your Confirmation No. from the Priceline booking info (not the Hotel Request No). Then select "Make Changes to this Reservation" and finally "Room Preferences" where you can select a non-smoking room and perhaps a higher or lower floor. You can also enter your email address (if you wish) and Marriott Rewards Number under Guest Information. I think some of the reservations will also let you view/change bedding types, but not all. If you choose to enter your email address, you can receive an updated reservation confirmation showing the guarantee of a smoking preference.

I LOVE Marriott for this! They are also committed to providing free wireless internet. I'd go out of my way to stay at a Marriott these days.

Thanks, Scorp, for all the great info. I went ahead and edited my res. at the Marriott and got the Non-Smoking guarantee. I also entered my e=mail and got the conf. but it would not allow me to enter my Marriott Rewards number.

I'm not worried about this, however, as we've had 3 Priceline Marriott stays in the last year or so and never had any problem with the hotel accepting the rewards card for "Extras".

I too love Marriott and find the level of service is always excellent.

When I get started on my Tucson reservations, I will start a new Topic to avoid confusion.

I am waiting for my new Entertainment 2006 book to arrive before going ahead with car reservations. In the past, I've found the discounts for car rentals to be very good & I want to check it out.

Incidentally, I ordered my new Ent. Book thru the link on this site. I mention that only to remind and encourage others to use those links whenever possible in order to help keep this great resource going.

I am waiting for my new Entertainment 2006 book to arrive before going ahead with car reservations. In the past, I've found the discounts for car rentals to be very good & I want to check it out.

Can you let me know how this compares, because we are going to be back in Arizona in March and haven't decided if we should rent a car or drive down. If we know the Ent Book has a good deal, we might go ahead and order one, also. Thanks!

Incidentally, I ordered my new Ent. Book thru the link on this site. I mention that only to remind and encourage others to use those links whenever possible in order to help keep this great resource going.

Well put!

• 3 weeks later...

I just posted a new message re: Car rentals in Pheonix which I think I should have posted under "Car rentals" Sorry.

Here is the link: Car Rental Entertainment Book

Also the plans on bidding for Tucson are currently on hold as there is a slight chance that we may have to cancel this trip and I don't want to book a "non refundable" room at this point.

If we do have to cancel, we will of course be out of pocket for the 4 nights we have reserved in Scottsdale but at the rate we got I'm not complaining. This is the first time that we have had to forgo a "Priceline" booking (and it's not for sure it will happen this time) but as the regular rate for the Courtyard is $239 it's only like being out the first nights accomodation!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]