Hotwire Hotel: Help ID 5* Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower area

kirikara
By kirikara,
in

Hi,

I am trying to Id the Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower area, 5 star listed at 50%..

The regular price listed on hotwire is $470.

I thought for sure it was the Peninsula since it is the only one on the list and seems to match their marketing efforts on other sites for that date but the addition of the nearby tennis is throwing me off.

Listed as 95% recommended (93% on tripadv.)

The Langham is considered a  different area. could it be Park Hyatt (on sale for $336 on regular websites)

or the Ritz?

I would LOVE a stay at the Peninsula..Given it is a staycation, the hotel matters much ;)

Amenities

  Free Internet

  Pet friendly

  Smoke Free Rooms

  Fitness Center

  Pool(s)

  Restaurant(s)

  Business Center

  Tennis Nearby

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you also see spa?

Unfortunately, I think this is likely not the Peninsula - it's more likely Park Hyatt, Four Seasons or the Ritz, with the Ritz and Park Hyatt probably more likely. Still, not a bad rate (for Chicago) for a well-reviewed 5*. I'm also seeing what appears to be the newer boutique property the Ivy for $166 (a 4.5*).

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Yes I do see spa.. I did not see that on Hot.wire's website!

That is a shame.. I was guessing it would be the Park Hyatt.. I really I can find a way to score a booking on a friday sometime this year at the peninsula for a decent price. I will keep looking..

Anyway I can set up an alert for that specific win, so I can book the same one?

The Ivy, huh? For some reason I thought it was going to be the Thompson since it seems to be won for the week-end before. I loved the Ivy but they dont allow for roll away beds so that would not work out for me.. I was actually hoping it was going to be the Thompson, that is too bad!

You can't receive an alert for a specific hotel, but you can get the following alerts using the tools here:

Win Alerts - receive an alert any time a hotel of a given star rating of your choosing is won in a given zone

RateDrop - you can receive alerts when retail pricing for this specific hotel drops in price (might be a good time to try your bidding), as well as when hotels of this star rating in the zone on HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS drop in price

Priceline Maps - search the Chicago area and find this hotel in the list, click the VIEW link next to the hotel and see all reported wins for this property

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

After looking at 5*, I am now looking at 4* for 8/16 since my first choice seems to be gone/did not work out.

Here a few shots in the dark as far as what hotels could be listed

4 stars-$157 Water tower

Pet friendly, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access, Tennis Nearby, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

I am thinking maybe it is the Crowne Plaza that was magically upgraded to 4 stars? I can't see any 4 stars in the list that has a pool...75% recommended matches the 76% on tripadv.

4 stars $186 River North

Free Internet, Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access, Spa Services, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

probably Hotel Felix?

4 stars $209 Water tower

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access, Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

Possibly Public?? (that would be awesome!) Most likely Whitehall?

4.5 stars $184 Water tower

Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access

Thinking it could the Hyatt chicago or possibly the Omni

4.5 stars $208 Water tower

Free Internet, Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Restaurant(s), Internet access

Thompson or the Ivy.. Probably the Ivy? Although the recommendation at 95% match more the ones from tripadv for the Thompson.

4.5 stars $ 226 River North

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access, Spa Services, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

Could it be the James?

Thoughts?

"4.5 stars $208 Water tower

Free Internet, Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Restaurant(s), Internet access

Thompson or the Ivy.. Probably the Ivy? Although the recommendation at 95% match more the ones from tripadv for the Thompson."

The % rating is not the tripadvisor rating, it is the % rating from HOTWIRE customers. I would guess this is the Ivy, which I've been eager to stay at - newer boutique with only a few rooms per floor, next to where the Museum of Contemporary Art used to be.

---

"4.5 stars $184 Water tower

Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access

Thinking it could the Hyatt chicago or possibly the Omni"

Likely the Hyatt on St Clair. I stayed there when it was a Wyndham and it was a very nice property in a great location. I'm surprised at the upgrade to 4.5*, although it looks like some renovations were done since it was rebranded to Hyatt. I'll note that there have been a fair amount of people over time who have noted street noise because of the hospital next door. When I've stayed here, I actually thought it was one of the quietest properties I've stayed at (and I stayed on a lower floor once) downtown,but there is the potential (maybe certain parts of the building?) for some street noise. Rooms are somewhat bigger than average for downtown.

---

"4 stars $209 Water tower

Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access, Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

Possibly Public?? (that would be awesome!) Most likely Whitehall?"

I'd guess Public as more likely. I stayed there a couple of weeks ago and had a really great stay, but I think for me, when it comes to hotels downtown, it really is an "at what price?"/value question. Once you start getting over $200, I'm not so sure it would be a first choice. Closer to $100-125 (and maybe even towards $150 if it was a busier night) I'd stay there again without hesitation.  I stayed there when it was the Ambassador East and, while they've really given the property a significant upgrade in a number of regards (lobby looks like a different hotel entirely; rooms are comfortable and done in a subtle, IKEA-ish style (I think one or two items are actually IKEA items), at its core there is still the limitation of an old building with plaster walls. I didn't notice too much noise from other rooms or the hall luckily, but this is a property where, if there is noise nearby, you'll notice it.  Amenities are a little limited in comparison to some other 4*'s downtown. I actually do like the Gold Coast location quite a bit and free wifi is a plus.

----

"4 stars $186 River North

Free Internet, Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access, Spa Services, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

probably Hotel Felix?"

I'd guess Felix. I like the location of this property, but it gets very mixed reviews. While I haven't stayed there, I think - given the reviews I've seen - it really seems to be an issue of suffering from the original building, which was a very basic, older bargain (1*? Not sure what it was) hotel. They probably gave the property a major facelift, but rooms remained small.

"4 stars-$157 Water tower

Pet friendly, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Internet access, Tennis Nearby, Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower

I am thinking maybe it is the Crowne Plaza that was magically upgraded to 4 stars? I can't see any 4 stars in the list that has a pool...75% recommended matches the 76% on tripadv."

I'd guess the Crowne Plaza may be back at 4*.

I'll note that there is a 4* in the Downtown-Millennium Park-Grant Park zone on HOTWIRE for $102. While I usually recommend staying North of the river, these dates - and not sure why - really seem more expensive North of the river. This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but it's a pretty significant discount to 4*'s North of the river and with the savings you could taxi back and forth and still have additional savings left over. Amenities below (and the listing has a 4/5 tripadvisor rating, so it does get good reviews.)

Additionally, I also see what appears to be the Swiss for $172, which would be - I think - a compelling option when included with the listings you have mentioned above. Let us know if the Swiss would be of interest and we would be happy to point out the listing.

4* Downtown-Millennium PK-Grant PK ($102, you may see a slightly different price.)

• Smoke Free Rooms
  • Fitness Center
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Business Center
  • Internet access
  • Accessible path of travel
  • In-room accessibility
  • Wheelchair accessible
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Roll-in shower

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 3 months later...

So thanks everyone for your help.

I personnally would have  booked  what we thought was the Ivy but I was not the final decision maker on this one.

and would have to love to report a win.

We ended up booking at the Hilton Michagan Avenue (South, close to millenium park), directly with the hotel website, which was the only one that offered a deal close to $200 for that night.

for a room with 2 double and a roll away bed for a total of 5 people.

I paid for my share and went to sleep in my much more comfortable bed at home.

Oh well!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]