Priceline Hotel: 2* Philadelphia Suburbs (Horsham - Fort Washington) Extended Stay America Philadelphia - Horsham - Dresher Rd.

SteveinPhilly1
By SteveinPhilly1,
in

I LOVE BB and go through you every year when I book in August for 2 nights in this area.

I've stayed at the Extended Stay (really basic) as well the Spring Hill (Love it but rarely win lately), Courtyard. (okay but NO breakfast) and the Residence Inn (always nice and great breakfast). Last year I extended area to Horsham- further than I needed but cheaper. Days Inn there is nice but was disappointed with frugal breakfast at Extended Stay there.  Last years was $41 win at Extended Stay.

So now PRICELINE EXPRESS shows PM at $58 for 2 stars. This is probably Extended Stay. For Horsham they show a 2 star for $48 (less 10% promo). It could be the Extended Stay or Days Inn.

The BB Hotel List shows only one 2 star in PM and that is Extended Stay (which I don't really want). All the rest (including Residence and Spring Hill - which USED to be 2 1/2 ) are 3 star.

My first try - knowing I'd have low chance was to go to PL (via BB link of course!) and bid $48 for 3 star in PM. I lost. I added the 2.5 star and bid $49 and lost again. I don't want to go to 2 star there cause I'll get Extended Stay there (It's worse than the ESA in Horsham).

Plan B is to go to Ft. wash/Horsham and start at $43 for a 3 star, then $42 for 2.5 and then - if need be - $41,00 foe 2 star. I do have  some time.

So... is there a better plan to get me the best price for PM (below $50 and at least 2.5*. Thanks for help.

Steve

You've got a shade over a month yet.  Do bid regularly up to your max.  As you noted - you do have time.

But also a few things to watch.  

When you are signed into Price.line, go to your profile and check "My Rewards".  It has been pretty rare lately, but once in a while there is a bit of bonus money or a % discount there.  The rules vary, and sometimes are only for 3 or more night stays or 3* or better, but sometimes the offer is not restricted.

Thereuare has had in his signature a code for a % discount.  None right now, but they have been popping up every once in a while.  He highlights them in red.

On the first page of this site is an area called "Bonus Money Opportunities".  Again, nothing there right now, but worth watching.

Romelle

Thanks Romelle:

Never knew to check rewards - I only use PL about three times a year (always through BB link of course). Nothing in my rewards. The PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 5% off code but I think I'll do better bidding.

I did ask if my plan was a good one or if I should bid a specific amount  ($45) for 3 star and then raise amount to say $47 and drop to a 2.5 star and hope I get upgraded as there are no 2.5 stars in Plymouth Meeting?

I figure by next week I'll think about Horsham 2 star and go for the $41/.night I got last year.

I'll also keep eye out for discount codes.

and lastly, I always wondered if Thereuare was male or female. Now I know ;-)

Steve

I did ask if my plan was a good one...

You can do better... are you willing to pay more for a 3* vs. a 2.5* OR is the goal the least expensive 2.5* or better for this trip?

..or if I should bid a specific amount ($45) for 3 star and then raise amount to say $47 and drop to a 2.5 star and hope I get upgraded as there are no 2.5 stars in Plymouth Meeting?

This is not a good plan on two levels:

1) never lower your star rating and increase your bid at the same time as discussed in this If You Lower Your Star Rating then Lower Your Bid Price thread

2) if PRICELINE offers bidding in a zone you should assume that they do offer hotels in that zone

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When bidding 2.5* in Plymouth Meeting you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 2.5* Plymouth Meeting...

Bid $40, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $43, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* Plymouth Meeting and re-bid zone2...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $48

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm sorry to sound like a dummy here - and I read the links to rebid zones but I'm sort of limited to one Primary Zone (Plymouth Meeting) where there options for 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 (ignoring a 2 for now there).

For Fort Washington-Horsham there are options for 2.5 and 3.0 (ignoring 2 for now).

In all honesty, I'd prefer a 2.5 star in PM to a 3 star in Horsham as it's further away (previous message was a typo - it's 10 to 15 minutes each way - or 30 RT) to be in Horsham.

So I understand your FIRST step above. Amnd I would bid $40 for PM. but I'm confused. You say PM has TWO ZONES. What is the other? I only see that I can rebid a lower or higher rating. 

So are you saying above: Select 2.5 in PM and bid $40 and if rejected just increase star rating to 3 and bid $43 in first pass and then close browser? and repeat this process?

Rwally I'm confused on the words "bidding zones" (and yes I read the BB link on it) PL uses "zones" for different areas so that PM is one zone, Ft-Washington is another" and "Valley Forge is another" and these are numbered.

Thanks for you patience with me.

BTW, one LAST semi-related question. I thought there was a way to be notified when a reply is made but I can't find a button to "subscribe to topic"

Steve

I'm sorry to sound like a dummy here - and I read the links to rebid zones but I'm sort of limited to one Primary Zone (Plymouth Meeting) where there options for 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 (ignoring a 2 for now there).

Start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter your city and dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

BTW, one LAST semi-related question. I thought there was a way to be notified when a reply is made but I can't find a button to "subscribe to topic"

Look at the top right of this page, below the PRICELINE SEARCH BOX and above the 2 black buttons to post a reply... there is a link FOLLOW THIS TOPIC; click that and you'll be subscribed any time a reply is made to this thread.

Also, when replying to topics please use the BLACK BUTTON on the lower right corner ADD REPLY... the one you've been clicking (inside the post) should be used when you want to quote the post. ;)

I did read that earlier but it is the "zone: issue that confuses me.

MAYBE I'm understanding you now (a Little).

Here are results by all 9 zones

1    3.5

2    3

3    2

4    3.5

5    2.5

6    2

7    3

8    3

9    3

So when you said I have two rebidding zones for PM did you mean zones 3 (Media) and 6 (Springfiekd) because the highest is 2 and I want a 2.5 or higher?

Look at the top right of this page, below the PRICELINE SEARCH BOX and above the 2 black buttons to post a reply... there is a link FOLLOW THIS TOPIC; click that and you'll be subscribed any time a reply is made to this thread.

THANKS! THAT's what I needed! ;-) Usually "subscribe buttons" are at bottom of pages on newgroup site. But I'm "following!"

At least through weekend. If I went to Horsham for a 2 star I'd max at $43. The Hotwire extress there is only $48. I save 20-30 minutes RT by being in PM. vs Horsham.  (unless I got onre in FT Washingtom which is cloer but combined with Horsham. From Ft. Washinton to the Extended Stay in Horsham it's at least 10 miles/20 minutes)

Any other ideas?

Steve

Rates for 2.5* and higher hotels in this zone for your dates are over $100 so i would raise your maximum bid price if possible, and if worthwhile to you over what is available in a nearby, but less desirable, zone.

Keep us updated on your progress.

PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 2 star in PM for $58

and -if I go to FT Wash-Horsham (most likely will end up in Horsham - though I'd prefer Ft. washington) there is a 2/5 at $70 and a 2 at $48. (either Days Inn or Extended Stay I'm sure). And - at least last week - there was 5% discount code.

So I'll keep bidding up to $48 over weekemnd and then probably go to the 2 star in PM or FW-Horsham and max at $44. - otherwise I can grab the $48 Express. These places seem to go for that every year as it is a weekebd and glut of hotels there.

I'll keep you posted and use the BB PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links

Okay. I think I want to try Plan B and MIGHT be able to do myself but you know the ropes.

Plan B is to either get a 2.5 in Plymouth Meeting to a max of $48.00 or a 2 star in PM for $44,00max

Or if I get a 2 star in Horsham to shoot for $41.

Right now There are 2 star Horsham for $48. with PRICELINE EXPRESS. There was a 5% discount code about 10 days ago (it was SUMMER14) but it is no longer valid.

I have 2 rebid zones for the 2.5 star but NO rebid zones for a 2.

Suggested plan?  And I will use BB PRICELINE link

You can repeat the 2.5* bidding as you have been:

Select 2.5* Plymouth Meeting...

Bid $40, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $43, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICE.LINE

Select 2.5* Plymouth Meeting and re-bid zone2...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $48

If you then want to try for a 2* hotel, close the browser from your bidding above, use this link to re-access PRICELINE, and try:

Select 2* Plymouth Meeting...

Bid $44, if that is rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 2* Horsham...

Bid $38, if rejected add Plymouth Meeting...

Bid $41

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sorry, I hit an empty reply. I got my room. Here is what happened. I lost out on all the 2.5 star tries. So I followed above plan. After I bid $38 (for 2 star in Horsham, I was rejected but got message saying that if I added 8 to go to $46 I could try again and get it. (Note that 2 star in Horsham is $48 on PRICELINE EXPRESS.

But I changed bid to $41 as per above and won the Extended Stay America - Same one at same price as in August 2013. I'd have ;preferred the Days Inn - Horsham which is a bit closer - and where I had some breakfast issues last year - Bi I have manager's name and can contact her to make things go smoothly.

Anyway, I DID use the BB PRICELINE link and thank you - as always - for guidance. I always refer folks to BB

While not your first choice in the area, looks like the price is right and you'll be able to make this work for your needs.

There are two Extended Stay properties in this zone, Dresher Rd or Welsh Rd, can you please confirm which one you received so we can complete the topic title of this thread and enable your win to appear in the Priceline Maps and Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Have a great trip.

Hmm. I didn't realize that. I got the Dresher Rd one which is I think where I stayed last year. The Welsh Road one would have been MUCH better for me I think but it is also $10/more a night ($81 vs $71) than Dresher Road. (But those are NOT discounted rates).

Also folks should know that when using PRICELINE EXPRESS and it says "Free Breakfast" the ESA's have a thing called Grab and Go. No tables, no hot food. Instant oatmeal, cello wrapped danish and MAYBE fresh fruit.

Anyway, it was clean and basic and - since only using for 7-8 hours to sleep, acceptable.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I'm back and I want to alert others of some issues with booking this hotel in Horsham. I'm not sure where to post this so please reclassify it.

The BB Hotel List shows both Extended Stay America and Days Inn as 2 stars. There is a big difference and - for most people staying for 1-3 nights they should consider these factors.

ESA does not provide ANY housekeeping service for stays of less than 8 days. Yiu make yiur own bed, re-use all towels and clean up yiur kitchen.  Days Inn - and even 1 star hotels have daily housekeeping. DI has a full hot breakfast and hot coffee in lobby or coffee maker in room.

ESA provides a "grab and go" grekfast which is instabnt oatmeal (but no milk - only coffee mate), Coffee and tea - but no half and half.

You can get a coffee maker for your room but yiu need to request in advance and they do not provide milk.

In the case of the Dresher Road ESA, you can't walk to anything and need to drive 2 miles to get any food supplies.

So if all you want is a clean room (upon arrival) with a kitchen (and all cups, dishes and silverware need to be requested at the desk - staffed by ONE person in the morning who also makes the coffee gets the bowls and checks folks out. The ESA will be acceptable. But it certainly is bare bones and not comparable with any hotel that serves hot coffee all day, gives a hot breakfast and cleans yiour room daily.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]