Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Madison Square Garden - Convention) Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

kimberleymok
By kimberleymok,
in

Hi,

First time using Priceline and wanted to check different options (bidding vs express deals) before booking. On the express deals I found a 2* hotel in Chelsea for $151 a night with the following amenities:

Fitness Centre

Business Centre

Breakfast

Internet

According to the hotels list there isn't a 2* hotel but the amenities match Fairfield Inn and Suites. Do you think this is the hotel?

Thanks.

I'm quite familiar with NYC and we generally recommend sticking with the higher rated hotels here as the quality at the lower star levels can vary greatly... you may get a diamond in the rough OR you may get something where you don't look forward to returning to your hotel room each nite and wish you paid a little more.

With quite a few substantially higher rated hotels selling for not much more than this one (and in some instances even less than the one above), what is it that you're looking for from a hotel this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm really looking for something in the 3*-4* region and a maximum of $150 a night without taxes, with budget being more important so it seems like I can probably only get a 3* hotel. I would preferably be in Chelsea or East or West Village areas but am now feeling more open to all areas in Manhattan as long as it's within budget. 

I checked out the PRICELINE EXPRESS deals to see if there was anything that looked good but the choice seems to be limited so I'd like to explore the bidding option now.

Should I start a new thread?

No need to start a new topic, you can keep all posts for this same stay in this same thread. Once you win a hotel use the ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN button on the lower right corner of this page to change the topic title to reflect your purchase and to add a reply with the details of your win.

As far as bidding for this stay, please let us know which zones, by PRICELINE name, your willing to accept and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Also, note that HOTWIRE has a 3.5* hotel in the East Village - Lower East Size zone for $156/nite, but this may be worth the extra $6/nite over your budget as 1) it's in one of the areas you think you'll be spending most of your time, and 2) it is very well reviewed with a 95% recommendation from previous guests and a very impressive 4.5/5.0 TA rating:

Pet Friendly

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

... but guess for this property would be the Wyndham Chinatown.

Let us know if you want to take this HOTWIRE offer and how that goes, OR if you want to try bidding on PRICELINE let us know your acceptable zones and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My preferred zones are as follows:

Chelsea

Midtown East

Midtown West

Soho

Times Square

Madison Square Garden

Lower East Side

Empire State Building

Hell's Kitchen

Downtown Financial District

Upper East Side

Upper West Side

I don't mind going over $150 a night as an increment of $6 is marginal to me. It's more important to me to get a higher rated hotel for the lowest price so for example if $160 is going to get me a 4* then I will go for that but if we had to set a maximum it would be $150. I'd like to try for a 4* (and not stick strictly to preferred zones if need be) but if it's really impossible then will go for 3*. Hope that's not too confusing...

I'm also seeing a 4* in MSG on HOTWIRE w/: for $152 (the price you see may vary slightly)

• Free Internet
  • Smoke Free Rooms
  • Fitness Center
  • Restaurant(s)
  • Business Center
  • Internet access
  • Golf Nearby
  • Accessible for the blind
  • Accessible for the deaf
  • Accessible path of travel
  • In-room accessibility
  • Accessible bathroom
  • Roll-in shower
This would likely be the Wyndham New Yorker, which is well located and does confirm free wifi on the hotel's front page. You could try bidding and potentially get this or another 4* in this zone for $130-140 (although I'd start lower.). I think a 4* may be attainable in MTE and ESB, but if so, would likely be at/near the very top end of your desired budget per night ($155-165, although I'd start lower.)

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Both UES and UWS can go pretty far north which may not be ideal for the average visitor so it's up to you if you want to ultimately include these zones or not. The strategy below gives you flexibility that you can either include or exclude these two zones, it will still work if you decide to not include these in your bidding.

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Chelsea, LES, ESB, Soho, TS...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MSG, MTE, MTW, HK, DT, UES, UWS...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, MTE, ESB, HK, TS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MSG, LES, MTW, Soho, DT, UES, UWS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, MTE, MTW, HK, DT...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MSG, LES, ESB, Soho, TS, UES, UWS...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, MSG, LES, ESB, HK...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, MSG, LES, ESB, DT, UES, UWS...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* HK, DT, Chelsea, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, MSG, LES...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* HK, DT, Chelsea, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, MSG, ESB, UES, UWS...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, MSG, LES, ESB, HK, DT, UES, UWS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions you've provided so far, you've all been so helpful.

I have a question before I start bidding. I'm slightly confused with the rebid zones as the guidance said you need to pick a zone that doesn't have hotels rated at the level you're looking for. From the list of zones, they all have 4* hotels except Morning Side Heights so isn't that the only rebid zone I have? Perhaps I have read it the wrong way. Please help!

Yes, currently Morningside Heights-Harlem is your one re-bid zones (but you should always check this just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed). Also, just to confirm, you should be using the method outlined at Priceline Re-Bidding Explained, and the zones at PRICELINE to determine your re-bid zones (and NOT this board's hotel lists).

Any further question feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have started bidding now and wanted to bring two things to your attention:

1) I'm bidding in GBP (not sure if that makes a difference but I just translated the USD)

2) The website doesn't seem to stop me from bidding after two rebid zones so I'm actually able to just keep adding the rest of the zones from my list and just increase the bid

2) The website doesn't seem to stop me from bidding after two rebid zones so I'm actually able to just keep adding the rest of the zones from my list and just increase the bid

Depending whether you are increasing your bids as you add the additional zones or not, you will either:

1) risk an over bid and pay more than is necessary

2) run out of bidding opportunities

Assuming you are bidding something like (adding the new zone to your previous bids and increasing the bid amount):

$100 Chelsea

$105 MTE

$110 MTW

$115 Soho

$120 TS

$125 MSG

$130 LES

$135 ESB

$140 HK

$145 DT

$150 UES

$155 UWS

... if you were successful on your last bid and win a hotel in the UWS zone for $155, you never gave yourself a chance to win a hotel in this zone for any less. If a 4* hotel in this zone was available for $110/nite... you'd end up paying $155/nite for it.

Assuming you're still willing to pay up to $150, PRICELINE EXPRESS has this 4 star MSG hotel for $150/nite for your dates (confirm your dates on the landing page):

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Business Center

Fitness Center

Why not take this one given your recent rejections up to $150?

So I decided to go for the express deal but imagine my frustration when I clicked on it and it told me that the deal was no longer available! I'd only just refreshed the search page so am quite annoyed now as I thought that I would get the hotel crossed off the list.

There isn't anything on Hotwire or Priceline that is within my budget at the moment for a 4*. There is a 3* offer on Hotwire for £82/$138 but it's only 50% recommended and I feel I could go lower with bidding if it's for a 3*.

I know it's hard to predict if prices will go up or down but would you suggest I try bidding again over the weekend and keep an eye out on the offers in the meantime?

If you can stretch your budget $10/nite HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the ESB zone that i suspect is either the St Giles The Court or the Carlton on Madison Avenue (the former is more common/likely than the former):

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

If you do purchase this on HOTWIRE, please change the drop down menu on the top right of HOT.WIRE's page to United States and the currency dropdown to US Dollars. Then continue to search HOT.WIRE and post to the board in US Dollars so that rates are consistent and not subject to interpretation due to future currency fluctuation. Once you're ready to purchase stay on the US version of their site and simply change the drop down menu to whatever currency you'd like to use and complete your purchase.

Does the HOTWIRE property above work for your needs?

Please use the "ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN" button on the lower right corner of this page (only visible to the OP)

You can then use the form to edit the topic title to report your win as well as post details of your purchase (star rating, city, zone, hotel name, room rate per nite, dates of your stay, amenities PRICELINE EXPRESS asociate with the property, etc, etc)

Thanks!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel guessed and that you're pleased with the outcome.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future bidding, searches, and travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]