Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Downtown and Harbor Island) The Westgate Hotel

Mel44
By Mel44,
in

Need a room in San Diego willing to bid up to $115 for a minmum 3.5 star dates are 06/27-06/29/14

Areas:

Gaslamp

Gaslamp Quarter South - Convention Center

Downtown - Little Italy   
Downtown - Marina

Thanks for advice!

You can get a 4* hotel in the Gaslamp zone within your $115/nite budget... would you prefer this over a 3.5* hotel for less? (a 3.5* could be had for $77/nite in the Downtown-Little Italy zone)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your preference and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm seeing a 4* in Gaslamp-Convention for $132 - $115 may not be quite enough for a 4* via bidding, but it's worth starting lower and working up to that point. If unsuccessful up to $115, you're probably not very far off at all.

Or, you could try splitting your stay to see if that will offer a better per night average. Would splitting be of interest?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I would rather pay more than have to relocate hotels (which is what I assume you mean by splitting). What do you think is like the "formula" if there is one on the express deals vs. bidding? Are express deals the best representation of how low a hotel is willing to go (i.e. is bidding on its way out?). I have been bidding on San Diego hotels for about 7 years and always scored great deals, but I feel like more recently bidding has been harder.

HOTWIRE had a decent deal on a 4-star at $129, but that hotel has a resort fee of about $20/nite.

Looks like PRICELINE also added a PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal for the same 4 star in gaslamp that HOTWIRE had. Its $125 on Priceline (with the additional $15/day resort fee). Not a bad deal with the 5% off Express Deal coupon, but dang that resort fee!

Bidding on PRICELINE is usually (but not always) a little cheaper than taking a PRICELINE EXPRESS offer... but the current 5% OFF discount link an code in my signature has been an equalizer, and with the discount link/code, sometimes the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal has been less than bidding.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The perils of bidding....I got Priceline screwed...

So I bid $115 (to start) for a 4 star Gaslamp, and it rejected the bid, but offered me a 4 star for $131. I deicded that this was better than the Express Deal of $125 (minus 5% plus the $15 resort fee). Instead, I get the Westgate (which was the hotel I figured I would get with the Express Deal) and now I am stuck with the resort fee again. Nice hotel, but its hard to feel happy knowing that I just spent $30 more than I should have. I didn't plan to spend close to $150 a night. I really love Priceline so much, but this makes me feel really ripped off.

Sorry to hear you're not happy with the resort fee for this property and this puts you over your intended budget. While this may be more than you wanted to spend, even with the resort fee this is still quite a bit less than any 4* hotel is being offered in this zone thru conventional booking channels.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]