Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower) Public Chicago

AaronJB
By AaronJB,
in

Free Internet,Pet friendly,Smoke Free Rooms
Fitness Center,Restaurant(s),Business Center,Internet access
Golf Nearby,Tennis Nearby,Accessible for the blind,Accessible for the deaf
Accessible path of travel,In-room accessibility,Wheelchair accessible,Accessible bathroom
Handicapped parking,Roll-in shower

Stayed as a surprise treat.

This was an older property to begin with (I had stayed here when it was the Ambassador East) and there are still aspects of it that give away the age (the walls are plaster and you can hear noise, the elevators still on the slow side), but otherwise, this was a very, very nice re-imagining of this property that was definitely more than throwing a new coat of paint on the walls. Lobby looks like a different hotel, wouldn't have had any clue what it used to looked like. 

The rooms take some aspects of the IKEA chic of the Indigo chain (which has a location a block away) and the subtle, sleek nature of the W hotels and it finds sort of a happy medium that is cozy, inviting and very pleasant. I can really see this being a successful chain (and apparently there will be one or more in NYC soon.) 

Service was great and friendly across-the-board, including a nice little upgrade at check-in (we were treated like we paid full price on a very busy night for the hotel.) Creator Ian Schrager has discussed wanting to create a very "inclusive not exclusive"-feeling boutique and I think that has been accomplished. The other idea is "value" and while regular rates are still going to be high during busy times, free wifi is a real plus and the room service ("Public Express") is less expensive (at least then room service usually is), quicker and comes in a bag (so that it can be easily taken "to go.") without the huge delivery charges seen at  most hotels. The hotel's restaurant is still named after the Ambassador's legendary Pump Room.

Got to take some pictures of some things downtown that I talk about fairly often on Betterbidding so I can occasionally use them as visuals when posting and tried a couple new things I think are musts.

After checking out, was surprised to see an unexpected Ferrari show that was taking up the entire long block a few minutes away from the hotel 

All-in-all, I'd happily stay here again.

HOTWIRE link was used.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]