Priceline Hotel: Release of Inventory

blindman
By blindman,
in

This question is like "How long's a piece of string?", but I'll ask it anyway.

When does a hotel release pre-booked conference rooms to the general public?

I'm trying to book NYC for 2 nights, 19th and 20th November 03.

I got the 20th, no problem about 2 months back ($95 Marriott New York Marquis ) but couldn't book the 19th, I assume due to the Chemical conference at the Javits center 18-20th November.

Their list of conference hotels is quite staggering and I assume they have block booked at the MM.

The hotel web-site shows it is full for 18th and 19th but rooms are available for the 17th and 20th.

So now I'm keeping my eyes peeled for sucessful bids around that time + bidding every week or so.

However I'm concerned that this strategy may mean I miss the release date, so any clues as to when I should be looking would be appreciated.

Ta

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I have checked the web-site and couldn't find a deadline re hotel bookings.

The registration fee is at its max on October 21st so I would expect the hotels would release inventory around this time if not before.

I've e-mailed the organisers to see if they have a deadline for hotel booking on the off chance they'll tell me!

blindman - At about the same time that you posted (after I also noticed no booking deadline) I called the hotel booking agency and they stated that there is *NO* booking deadline: the agent stated "You can receive these rates as long as the hotel has availability".

Interesting in the response I received when compared with the response you got :)

This makes sense in cases where almost 100% of the convention activities are taking place in the convention hall, and the hotels are not used for official functions (in other words, no headquarters hotel is being designated).

I wonder if the responses are geared towards getting people to book "sooner rather than later"

Also, the fact that the hotel list has a red-shaded warning saying "Your hotel may charge a different rate for weekdays and weekends. Please be sure to click on the first night rate link to see a night by night breakdown of the rate for each hotel" -- this sure does NOT sound like a case where HARD negotiated rates have been locked in, but I state upfront that Im only guessing (in a past job I used to participate in trade shows but as an exhibitor not as a booker etc). In the past, I've encountered hotels that offer a percentage discount over "rack" or "corporate" rated when you are booking "while attending a trade show or convention".....

after 17th October the show discount rates may not be honoured
You can receive these rates as long as the hotel has availability

Looks like perhaps this convention's customer service calls are getting routed to Priceline by mistake! :) At least Priceline isn't the only company that gives out conflicting or wrong information!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for all the help so far.

OK, so here's what we know:-

1 The Hotels web-site says it's full on the 19th.

2 The Chem organiser says their discounted rate is not guaranteed after 17th Oct

3 The Hotel booking agency (who are?) says you can book at the 'discount rate' so long as there are rooms available.

So what have 'we' discovered, cause I'm confused?

P.S.

I don't understand this

Looks like perhaps this convention's customer service calls are getting routed to Priceline by mistake!  At least Priceline isn't the only company that gives out conflicting or wrong information!

The following is not specifically related to the above inquiry, but I thought I would post it anyway. I read today that hotel occupancy rates in NYC have risen to 80%, which is now equal to June 2001 occupancy rates. I get the impression there has been an upwards trend in Priceline hotel rates in NYC, and this might be why.

Yet another complicating factor is that many Manhattan hotels are remodeling in preparation for the upcoming Repub. Convention (exactly one year from now). One big refurb job is taking place at the NY Sheraton, a PL mainstay which has a large number of floors out of service at a time. It will be the Headquarters hotel for the RNC (not sure if George W. will stay here or at the WT).....

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]