Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile Area - River North) Kinzie Hotel

rondavu54
By rondavu54,
in

From what I can tell, if I pick a 4 star in the Mccormick/medical district, it should be the Hyatt Mccormick unless there is a surprise new 4 star?  I saw the description for (possibly) that for a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal yesterday for 81, today the same description is 128, so it is making me wonder if I missed something.  I saw a post on here that the Hyatt is safe, safe area for walking, and in the reviews I saw that bus #3 is right outside their door to go downtown, but I didn't research any other hotels in the area and wouldn't want to take an unlikely chance.  What would a good bid be?   travel dates 6-7 to 9, 4 ppl, switching between trying 2 rooms low, or 1 room with choice of beds to get 2 queen or at least 2 double.  Also, any almost sure way to try and get Embassy Suite Downtown?  And if it was either Embassy Suite, how is the walking possibilities for the other one to get to Mag Mile, Field, & Navy Pier? Bid suggestion? Concerns are safety, and also not having to take subway!  Thank You. 

There is some transit from around McCormick, but I would really not recommend staying in that area from a tourist perspective if you don't have to. The Hyatt McCormick is the only hotel that has been reported to the board at the 4* level, but there's always the chance that something else could be upgraded to 4* and this is a rather large zone. Walking from the Hyatt to downtown would be a REALLY long walk and not one that I'd recommend.

There is no way to guarantee or increase the odds of a particular property when bidding. If you are four people, I'd recommend looking on Hot.wire instead for four people.

Unfortunately, rates downtown look significantly higher-than-normal for these date/s. What would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I was more thinking of the bus right outside the Hyatt that goes downtown:)  don't want to walk that far. The post I saw said it was safe & close to walk to Chinatown ect from there. 

We wanted to stay about $200ish a night for the 4 of us, so if I'm trying to book 2 rooms, will reduce to $100ish a night.  Preferably post taxes, since they really add it up! 

The Mccormick area 4 star is back on Priceline quick buy for $82 tonight, it says it is 70% off.

I have not been to Chicago before and have no idea about areas ect so welcome any advice. I just thought the Hyatt might work to stay within budget.

At current rates for your complete stay, a 4* hotel 'Downtown' for double occupancy will likely cost you a room rate of $140-$160/nite. One room for quad occupancy you're looking at the $200-$220 area. At current rates i don't think that anything sub-$100 looks to be realistic.

Although not ideal for a 2 nite stay, is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? You could get something within your budget for Sunday nite, but the Saturday nite is currently the issue as rates are very high for this nite. Would you be interested in staying in the McCormick area for the first nite and then changing hotels the second nite to something more centrally located?

At the moment you'll need to compromise on some aspect of this stay... either budget, location, or convenience.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know your thoughts and we will take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I read through the splitting bid, not sure we want to do that,(on foot, taking a train in), but have been checking separate. 

I am seeing on Price.line a 3* breakfast public free internet fitness business center, $221, I don't see anything that would match?  any ideas? While not crazy about 3 * for that price, my thoughts were that it may be suites, and therefore would accommodate 4.

When I look at these date/s on Hot.wire, I'm seeing a 4* in the McCormick Place area for $72 (you may see a slightly different price) w/:

Free InternetI,ndoor pool(s),Fitness Center,Pool(s),Restaurant(s),Business Center,Internet access,Wheelchair accessible

This would be a potential match for the Hyatt McCormick, which is - at least for these date/s - priced quite a bit cheaper than the downtown 4*'s. 

I really do think that the Hyatt McCormick isn't optimal in terms of convenience when it comes to sights of interest/tourist sites, but if you don't mind the trek (bus or train), it's a savings vs downtown.

If you do stay there and are going to walk to Chinatown, I'd be cautious/aware if you are not familiar with the area.

For the 3* Price.line Express in the NMA area, I'd guess the Holiday Inn Express Mag Mile. There's a 4* in the same zone showing for $175, the nearly $50 savings can be put towards breakfast nearby at a nice restaurant.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I was using 6/7-6/9, and I just went back and checked. I thought it was gone, but when I refreshed the page, it was there again.

I am not seeing the 4* on there for $175 for both dates, I did see a really good deal for the Sunday only but it won't come up for the Sat. Remember, I need choice of bed on PRICELINE, to get 2 dbls or Q. There has been a couple on there for $237 or so, with a choice of beds, but when I click on them, there is no choice of beds and it shows 1 bed with a button you can click on either of the 1 bed choices. I got on chat with priceline to try and find out why there is no choice when it offers it, but the person just kept going in circles and not answering, not sure he had full command of English.

Any time a room description is provided the 'Bed Choice' shows up.

Searching for your dates there is a 4* hotel for $81/nite showing for your dates with:

Indoor Pool

Business Center

Fitness Center

... you could book TWO ROOMS at this price for less than the 3* with bed choice you saw earlier. ;)

Would this work for your needs?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm seeing what appears to be a Queen + Sofabed at the Club Quarters or Loop Hotel for $190 for 6/7-9 via PRICELINE Express, plus there's currently a coupon for $20 off the total (see thereuare's signature above). Unfortunately, these date/s do just look quite busy.

If you do decide on staying by McCormick, I'd also suggest the Metra Electric line as an option to quickly get downtown. (http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/me/station.MCCORMICK.html)

I got really excited when I read that...then when I went to look, I see it is the McCormick area one.  That is what I originally asked about, and what I was going to do, but it was sort of discouraged on here so I chickened out--there is only 1 4 star listed in that area, and it seems OK, but if by chance I did get something else, it could be kind of overwhelming.  I'm hoping that something will come up in the N Mi/Riv N area that has bed choice or is on Hot.wire.  Have also been bidding on 2 rooms on Price.line with no success even when I went up to $143. Am considering looking at Mil Park/Loop area only if I have to, but that seems not so good for walking distance.  In reading the board, it seems that the better deals come out when the dates are very close, & yes, I realize that may not happen:)

I think with McCormick it really becomes a matter of weighing price vs convenience. I would never suggest McCormick if it was similarly priced to downtown, but looking at rates, McCormick is unusually cheaper than downtown for these dates. It's a bit of a trek to downtown and not a walk I'd really recommend unless you go over to the lake and then walk up from there, but there's also the Metra right there. Again, in terms of Chinatown, it's walkable, but I'd just be aware of your surroundings and if you're there at night, I'd suggest taking a quick taxi ride back.

Looking at rates, McCormick is quite a bit cheaper. If the savings are worth it given the issues (having to commute a bit or long walk to downtown, there's really nothing much at all around McCormick), then I'd go with that. If you want to step out into the city and have a lot of options available right around the hotel, I'd look downtown.

I will note that, with the unusually significant difference in price between McCormick and downtown (4* Priceline Express listing for McCormick is $81, downtown 4*'s around $200) for these dates, there is the chance that the McCormick listing may disappear/the rate may jump.

Personally, in terms of outlying areas, I find Lincoln Park preferable to the McCormick area, but unfortunately, LP is more expensive than downtown for these date/s.

Thank you for all your help. hope it is OK to keep posting in the same thread

Today,l I see a  4 star in the Loop/Theater area for $154 (Hotwire, entering 2 adults, 2 kids--that does ensure sleeping quarters for 4, right?) Free internet,pet, fitness,restaurant, Bus Center, Golf nearby, access for blind & deaf.  I was thinking the Crowne Plaza maybe?  Can you comment on that area for me and that hotel listing?  Some in our party want to (window)shop mag mile, one wants Navy Pier, one wants American Girl, one wants museum and all want a little night life/maybe a show and we prefer to be able to mostly walk to these places or take the 'trolley', which I am not sure where it runs? Is mag mile/River North better access around than RN/water tower?

Still not sure about whether the savings would beat out the inconvenience of McCormick...my rather cheap purse string is trying to convince me it would...$74 today when I enter 2 adult 2 kids on Hotwire, it comes up $128 if entered as 4 adults.  I am very concerned that it would not be the Hyatt, 'specially after your comment that is a large area, although the Hyatt is the only 4 star in the area reported that I saw.  In the reviews and replys by the hotel, they make it appear to be about 2 miles from downtown, and the hotel says the bus (#3) stops outside their doors and goes downtown.  Is this accurate? Is it not good to take bus?   I want to avoid subways, is metra electric subway or L?  

Secondly, I clicked on Hotwire regular rates, and saw the Mariot , mag mile, come up for 278 (which is my cancelable backup & price), when I clicked on it, it offered an upgrade to a 41/2 star mag mile/RN for 248. Pet Pool smoke free fitness restaurant bus center internet access blind access.  What are your thoughts?  I thought maybe the Omni?  What is the location & hotel like for Omni or whatever you do think it is?

Thanks.

No one in our party is familiar with Chicago.

Thank you for all your help. hope it is OK to keep posting in the same thread

Yes, please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

Today,l I see a  4 star in the Loop/Theater area for $154 (Hotwire, entering 2 adults, 2 kids--that does ensure sleeping quarters for 4, right?) Free internet,pet, fitness,restaurant, Bus Center, Golf nearby, access for blind & deaf.

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above? Using this method this is the full amenity list i'm seeing when searching for your dates 2adults/2children:

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

--> if this is what you're seeing best guess would be the Crowne Plaza Metro

Secondly, I clicked on Hotwire regular rates, and saw the Mariot , mag mile, come up for 278 (which is my cancelable backup & price), when I clicked on it, it offered an upgrade to a 41/2 star mag mile/RN for 248. Pet Pool smoke free fitness restaurant bus center internet access blind access.  What are your thoughts

Assuming this 4.5* is not showing in BiddingHelper.com please confirm the full list of amenities as follows:
  • click the offer
  • on the next page click the BOOK NOW link
  • in the TRIP SUMMARY box click the 'See more' link at the end of the amenities
HOWEVER... are you willing to pay $248/nite for a hotel room this trip??

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

• 3 weeks later...

Could (Aaron?) someone comment on areas...I have been concentrating on North Mi and prices are just now starting a tiny decline.  I am wondering for our trip (what we may do is posted above, 1st para) what area is the best for walking to these activities?  How much difference is there between North Mi and North Mi Water Tower, and also Mill. Park areas?  Would any/all of these be good for our stay? I'm thinking the loop/theater area is not so good?  We have def decided to pass on the bargain in the McCormick area, in case it should turn out to not be the Hyatt...haven't seen anyone post a win saying it was.  Also, please comment, are 3* in the North Mi area recommended?  I did see one on Priceline.Express today (dates are 6/7-6/9 need 2 beds) that has a 2 bed choice and with today's 10% code, would save us almost $400 from what we have booked...but I'm not yet sure if I want to go down to a 3*.  Safety, 2 beds & being able to mostly walk are highest concerns. Thanks.

Areas (Price.line, Hot.wire has them divided further)

Millennium Park-Loop-GP: This area is closer to the museums (although still going to be a walk from most properties, although a nice walk along the lakefront.) There is some shopping on State St. The West part of the Loop is largely offices and later at night, this area (and a fair amount of the Loop can be quiet/very quiet. The South Loop is also quiet later at night, although the Printer's Row area has some options:

River North-NMA: The River North area has tons of restaurant options - great low-end, high-end and in-between. That area - as well as the Gold Coast area at the top of this zone - offer a lot of nightlife. There is also shopping along Michigan Ave.

Lincoln Park: This is an area that I recommend for those who want something completely different. It's a fun neighborhood area with tons of great shops and smaller, non-chain stores/boutiques. There is also the Zoo and Old Town area. The problem with this zone is that there are few hotels in it and rarely is there much in the way of discounts. Downtown almost always seems to be a better value. Still, this area is worth visiting even if you stay downtown.

In terms of 3* and 3.5* vs 4*, there are some 3* and 3.5*'s in the River North-NMA that I think aren't great, but there are a number of hotels that the 3/3.5* level that I'd actually find preferable to a few of the 4*'s. It also depends on price and whether or not you're going to be in the hotel a lot.

In terms of safety, I think you have to - like any large city - be aware of your surroundings, whether you're on Michigan Ave or the Loop.

I'm seeing a 3* on Price.line Express for these date/s for $162 in the NMA area w/fitness and business. That could be several different properties as those amenities are common. However, I'd lean towards Inn of Chicago probably being more likely. That is not the most optimal in terms of hotel - it was an old Best Western that was renovated and turned into a boutique - but what it does have going for it is a terrific location. That is, if it is Inn of Chicago, which I'd lean towards being a more likely possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Amedities:

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Fitness Center

Business Center

Internet Access

Spa Services

Accessible path of travel

In room Accessibility

accessible bathroom

roll in shower

$170 Kinsie for 4 ppl  

Believe the pet friendly has not been posted for this hotel before.

Could have gotten Riv N Water tower for $110 at one point, then it jumped to $123, then to $125, then just as I was buying it pushed me out and wouldn't let me back in for about 15 Min.  When I got back in, it had jumped up to $139, so at that point the Kinsie with breakfast and cocktail hours for 4 seemed a better choice:)

Thanks so much for all your help.

Oh, this was not posted on Hot.Wire, I clicked on a hotel for $158 and it offered this as an upgrade for better ratings.

You scored a really nice deal for this property, which used to be the Amalfi up until a few months back. This property is in a fantastic location to take advantage of the wide variety of River North restaurants (although the hotel offers breakfast), but also centrally located in the city as a whole.

Really good result and hope you enjoy your stay.

Please let me know if you have any city questions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]