Priceline Hotel: One night, Deerfield, IL

Shoob
By Shoob,
in

Hey guys,

You'll be hearing from me quite a bit in the next month or so... planning a trip again for the summer!

But before that... need to book 6/11 in Deerfield.  I made a mistake and waited... I think the Courtyard by Marriott in Deerfield was well under $100 when I checked a couple months ago... well, definitely not the case now.  It's $159 on that date!  So now, I need to figure out how to get a much lesser price. Suggestions?

The primary reason I picked that hotel: I need to go to the building next door in the morning for something important!  Anyways, any help is appreciated, as usual.  Thanks!

I should have been more clear, sorry.

really want this particular hotel... but another hotel within a mile or two would work.  I just checked the PL NYOP, and from what I see, Deerfield zone is much larger than a couple miles.  If I don't think I can get one very nearby that hotel, I might just drive to the location in the morning and forgo the hotel.  Not ideal, but better than spending a lot for not much.

What are your thoughts?

I'm guessing the Courtyard in question is the one at 800 Lake Cook Road (there's actually another a couple of miles East.) That other Courtyard also falls within this zone and I'd guess the Residence Inn may also be a 3* in this zone. I believe that's likely it.

The other idea that I have is bidding for 3.5* in this zone. The Embassy Suites Deerfield and Hyatt Deerfield are 3.5* possibilities just up the street. The Marriott Deerfield Suites is a bit further away (also at the 3.5* level in this zone), but there is kind of a shortcut (Head East on Deerfield to Wilmot and South on Wilmot briefly to Lake Cook, then briefly East). The Marriott is really not that far at all by car - it's minutes away and the Hyatt/Embassy are closer.

What would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I had no idea there was another Courtyard near there.  Yes, I was talking about the one at 800 Lake Cook; I need to be at the testing center next door in the morning.  My biggest concern is morning traffic.  I know that Lake Cook, for whatever reason, has some of the nastiest traffic, and Murphy's Law is something I'm very familiar with  :P

Hmm... I was really hoping to spend less than $100; I guess I could go to a lower star level too.

Have you yet tried to bid up to $100 at the 3* (or 3.5* levels)... it appears that you haven't bid at all yet, but the $159 rate above was in reference to the current retail rate. If you're willing to lower your star rating to 2.5* (and therefore are apparently open to the idea of a different property other than the Courtyard) why not first try bidding at the 3* level (or if you like AaronJB's idea above try at the 3.5* level as well)??

You can also use our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com and enter the address of the testing center in the search box... it will be easy to see if there are any other options nearby at an acceptable pricepoint.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Lake Cook traffic - at least in my experience - is more isolated around the major intersections nearby - Waukegan and Lake Cook, Skokie Blvd and Lake Cook (where the other Courtyard is) and there's an intersection near the Courtyard at 800 Lake Cook with a mall that has a Home Depot. There may be some traffic going in/out of that mall as there's a Metra train station there. There was construction along Lake Cook for a while, which did create some problems, but that appears all done. 

The Marriott Suites Deerfield has gotten a few mixed reviews, but I've quite liked all 3 of the 3.5*'s in this zone, and if you could grab one for a reasonable rate, that would be a definite win.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks so much!  Luckily, you're from around here and can give some sound advice on this. Yea, my concern was with the construction on Lake Cook... it's always been so hellish, and I really cannot have that on that morning (board exam day!)...

I'm going to hold off for just a bit and see if maybe... just maybe... the prices come down.  I'll keep you guys updated.  I might just end up going with that Courtyard due to convenience and nothing else.  If I do end up doing that... what do you guys suggest?  Book straight with them or otherwise?

Oh, and Thereuare, sorry, I hadn't bid because I was awaiting advice.  In any case... I'm going to need all your guys' help soon with booking a long road trip... again (very similar to last year's).

The Embassy Suites Deerfield, which is a stone's throw from the Courtyard, is $184 non-refundable, while the Holiday Inn Express Deerfield (which gets very good reviews) is further West on Lake Cook from the Hyatt at $126 ($114 non-refundable.)  The Courtyard (both nearby, actually) are $159 each. 

A ways to the North is the La Quinta North Shore, which gets good reviews and is $125. That would be a bit of a drive, but a good portion of the drive from that hotel to Deerfield is via a beautiful back/country road with gorgeous homes.

I definitely understand wanting to be right where you need to be, but I really do think you could get something for quite a bit less bidding- may not be right there, but if you can save $50-60 +/-, it's really not going to be a long drive from the potential properties in this zone. I think you could potentially do better further out, but it becomes how much of a savings makes staying further out worthwhile. When I mention further out, areas like Lincolnshire to the North or Glenview/Northbrook to the South.

There is an app that I occasionally look at called Beat the Traffic, which has a lot of traffic cams in this area, including along Lake Cook. You can use that to get a sense of traffic before heading out. I looked at it before posting yesterday morning and didn't see much of anything around 7am. I have encountered traffic on Lake Cook, but I do think it's been largely isolated to the major intersections. The only periods where it's been worse is when there's been construction.

Again, I would really recommend bidding in this instance as prices are really rather high for these hotels -  but if you decide to book conventionally, the Holiday Inn Express is a good, cheaper option a short drive West (plus, free breakfast.) The Embassy Suites is more expensive, but I thought that was a very nice Embassy and that's very close to the Courtyard (plus, free breakfast and evening reception.) 

Let us know your thoughts and we would be happy to offer further suggestions.

Thank you for using the board's, HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches, or regular rate links in the Support Page if you book regular rate.

Thanks for the awesome info, and sorry for the late response.  Again... so busy w/ prep for boards.  Honestly, I don't live too far from the testing location (if I wanted to get a hotel in Northbrook, I might as well leave from home!).  It's just one of those things that any possibility of having something go wrong the morning of the exam, I want to avoid.  The test means too much to my career to potentially be late; think about it like this... my wife says "get the hotel for $159... no risks".  Still too steep IMO, so I'm going to hold off.

But yes, I am going to try along Lake Cook road itself; luckily I've got a bit of time, so I will keep any eye on that place and others in the area.  Beat the Traffic looks like a really nice app... using that starting today!

You guys are always so helpful!  Thanks... I'll keep you all updated regardless of what I choose.

The test means too much to my career to potentially be late;

... my wife says "get the hotel for $159... no risks".  Still too steep IMO...

Notice how the two statements above are almost contradictory... sometimes you just have to pay up for convenience (or to minimize the chance of 'something' going wrong). There is also the peace of mind factor the nite before your exam that may be worth some value to you as well. In the big picture of your career, the extra $25, $50, or even $75 isn't going to mean that much. ;)

If you do choose to wait, i would book a refundable back-up to protect yourself from rates continuing to move higher. Again, you can try our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com, enter the address of the testing center, and see what is available taking into consideration star rating, distance, and price (but not all rates there are refundable, so you'll need to see the terms of each)

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know how we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

LOL... yes, I do see the near contradiction. And yes... you're right the "big picture" or the grand scheme of things.  Regardless, I appreciate all the advice, as always.  I'll update you guys ASAP.  I'll look at the sister-site for options.  

I was just thinking... I've been soliciting help from you all for the last 3 years; intermittently, of course.  But still, hard to believe!

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]