Priceline Hotel: NYC for the first time!

CaliRee
By CaliRee,
in

Please check and let us know whether hotels in the following PL zones are acceptable: MTW, MTE, MTS, UM-CPS.

We can then advise further if needed.

For the benefit of members of this board, do you think you could post your Priceline / Hotwire wins for San Francisco?

Willing to stay at them all: MTE, MTW, MTS and UM-CPS. Don't want to have to pay more than $200 (but may be impossible due to the season).

Also a little confused, read through some of the tips, and don't understand how you can bid an area, a star rating...and if it's denied rebid a higher price without adding a rating or area.

So, as far as successfully won bids on Priceline in SF:

Argent-4*-Union Square East - Embarcadero-$110-12/30/04(2 nights)

Hilton-3*-Fisherman's Wharf-$90-8/22/05(2 nights)

Grand Hyatt-4*-Union Square East - Embarcadero-$73-8/21/05 (1 night)

You should book a back-up as that will also help you determine your true maximum bid.... what if you can't find anything under $200/nite?

Let us know if you have any questions with re-bidding after reading the above link and let us know if you find a suitable back-up (and how much)... we'll then take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It seems we may have to bite the bullet and anticipate paying $250-300+ for that weekend.

But besides just increasing the bid on Priceline(which we actually did last night, we bid up to $255 per night and included every area except the UWS and still got nothing, are there any other alternatives to booking a room in the city?

I heard EasyClick Travel may be a good alternative for good prices, but I heard alot of their hotel listings only have requests for rooms rather than actual reservations.

Still got a month before we actually go, so the benefit of time is on our side.

Before doing anything further i think you should re-read the link above on re-bidding, ask questions, and then wait for a bidding strategy.

EasyClickTravel does show you if the hotel is 'available' or 'on request', but for high demand periods and only a month away most hotels will likely only be showing 'on request' at this point, and i'd be doubtful that most hotels would release additional inventory to them during a peak period.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I've read the instructions on bidding and I think I get the bidding strategy now, but for the case of NYC, there's only 7 zones, and most of them have hotels that include 3 stars. So to be able to "cheat" another bid by selecting another zone doesn't apply. Unless, I'm completely dense, I don't think there's any way to add increase bids for essentially the same zone. I'm more confused then ever.

But besides just increasing the bid on Priceline(which we actually did last night, we bid up to $255 per night and included every area except the UWS and still got nothing
At what star level did you bid? I had assumed 4* but i guess you tried at the 3* level?

You didn't include the USW zone in your above bidding, but do you know what is the highest star level offered in the USW zone?

Went as low as 3* and didn't include the USW zone because it wasn't listed on the NY list of hotels(on this site) and didn't want to run the risk of getting a place in USW when e we really wanted to be close to Times Square (only condsidered the SOHO, Financial District because there were so many hotels in that area we wouldn't mind staying in). Should I just ditch the Priceline route and sleep in the park? :)

Thanks for the help.

The above indicates that you don't really understand the re-bid concept....

Engage us in this exercise:

List each Priceline zone and next to it let us know the highest star rated hotel offered in that zone. To determine the highest star level offered in each zone, do the following, as explained in the PRICELINE RE-BIDDING thread:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time.

Oh my gosh, I'm so stupid! So that's how it works...Okay now that I understand this, it looks like only the USW and USE have hotels less than 4*'s. So essentially, I've only got two opps for a particular zone to rebid if I want to stay in a 4* or better? I now see the light! Since I've already wasted my bids for the next 2 days, what should my strategy be when I go back to Priceline in 2 days?

Thanks.

Here's what I bid (unsuccessfully) last week for rooms during 12/16-12/18

Selected 4* MTW...

Bid $255, added re-bid zone...

Bid $265, added re-bid zone...

Bid $275

Selected 4* MTE...

Bid $275

Selected 4* UM/CPS...

Bid $275

Selected 4* MTS...

Bid $275

Selected 4* SOHO...

Bid $275

Selected 4* MTW+MTE...

Bid $280, added re-bid zone...

Bid $285, added re-bid zone...

Bid $290, added UM/CPS...

Bid $295, added MTS...

Bid $300, added SOHO...

Bid$305

Scared off by the high prices, I decided to give up and go through my company's travel agent.

Good Luck!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]