Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) Hilton Manhattan East

samwong
By samwong,
in

All flights booked but no back-up plan on hotels yet. 

As such, really appreciate assistance to bid for 4-star hotel preferably at UWS, CPS or MTE, since we have stayed there before.  However, am open to other areas with easy accessibility to subway (a must) although still a tiny wary of TS.  I know September is a pricey month, but hoping to win a deal below $180 (before taxes), or is this wishful thinking?

Many thanks.

Few thoughts/comments...

UWS - while the only 'known' 4* hotel in this zone (the Empire Hotel) is well located, the zone does go pretty far north, which would not be the most convenient for the average visitor. You'll need to decide if the risk of receiving a new 4 star hotel in this zone would be acceptable or not

CPS - contains the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards) which might be a little too cramped for comfort for a one week stay. Please think about this and decide if this would be acceptable or not.

MTE - a few of the hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway, is this acceptable?

HOTWIRE has what looks to be The Row NYC for $189/nite should this be of any interest. (this hotel recently changed hands from the previous Milford Plaza, so give recent reviews more weight than older reviews)

There is also what i'm guessing to be The Lexington New York City for $189/nite should this be of any interest as well.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Have stayed twice at The Empire (thanks to this site) and really like the residential feel of the upper west - zabars, etc. However if this area stretches too far north without any subway, then it will be a no go for me. Agree to drop CPS and MTE, although i did stay at The Benjamin once. Since I have some time before the trip proper, would like to have a go with PL where prices are much lower than Hotwire.

Await your bidding strategy. Thanks in advance.

It's not that the UWS doesn't have subway access, it's just not the most convenient as you'll likely need to transfer trains to get to most of your final destinations, as well as it taking a little longer to get there.

Also, while PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE, it is not always the case, especially for longer stays since where PRICELINE may not be as good at averaging rates throughout the stay.

NOTE that currently HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the TS zone for $186/nite (vs. $235/nite for a 4* hotel in this zone on PRICELINE EXPRESS)... a 4* hotel in MTE for $189/nite (vs. $218 on PRICELINE EXPRESS). While these may not be the same hotel, it's just an example of why you should keep an open mind and go with whichever offers the best deal for your particular dates (as well as HOTWIRE being able to better help you guess at the hotel offered, since as you wrote, being near a subway is a must)

To move forward bidding on PRICELINE, which zone(s) are left for you to bid and what is your maximum bid?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When bidding 4* in NYC you have ONE re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* ESB...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE...

Select 4* UWS...

Select 4* MTW...

Select 4* Soho...

Select 4* ESB and MTE...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* UWS and MTW...

Select 4* Soho and ESB...

Select 4* ESB and UWS...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Select 4* Soho and MTE...

Select 4* ESB and MTW...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE and UWS...

Select 4* Soho and UWS...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, UWS...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, MTW...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, Soho...

Select 4* ESB, UWS, MTW...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, MTW, Soho...

Select 4* MTE, UWS, MTW...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, UWS, MTW...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, UWS, Soho...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, Soho, ESB, MTE...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW, Soho, ESB, UWS...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, UWS, MTW, Soho...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Assuming the CPS zone, other than the Hudson Hotel, is acceptable...

PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4* hotel in this zone for your dates for $192/nite with:

Free Internet in public areas

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Fitness Center

... and it is also showing a minimum user review rating of 8.0/10.0. Since the Hudson hotel currently has a 6.6/10.0 rating, it is below the minimum that this hotel indicates, so you can 'safely' buy this one and be assured that it's not the Hudson.

These amenities are common for a 4* hotel in NYC but my guess for this PRICELINE EXPRESS property would be the Renaissance Hotel 57.

Does this work for your needs?

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please double check your dates as i'm not seeing this property (or anything near this price) offered when searching PRICELINE EXPRESS for your dates.

If you are seeing something for $115/nite, this location would not be as convenient for the average tourist seeing the sites, but this area wold be close to boutique shopping, and would probably be worth the $75/nite savings (depending upon your needs/plans for this trip)

The rate is from Hot.wire using the Bidding.Helper. Sorry should I keep the thread here or in Hotwire? This would be our 3rd trip to NY, so we sort of have covered some major sites, and would like to take it slower this time around. However, would prefer to be close to a subway and yes the shopping is a plus point.

You can keep all posts for the same stay in this thread. Usually we can easily figure out which service you're referring to based upon the amenity names associated with the property, but given the limited number of amenities above, these are used by both services so it wasn't clear. Once you win a hotel use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of the board and the thread will automatically be moved (if necessary) to the correct section of the board.

The amenities for this HOTWIRE property are common for a 4* hotel in NYC, so i'm not certain, but my guess for this one would be the Sheraton Tribeca. Given the price relative to other options for these dates, and the 4.0/5.0 TA rating, i would go with this offer (this area generally has pretty good subway access throughout (and if it is the Sheraton there are multiple subway stations/lines nearby))

Since this an extended stay you could see if this same property is offered for the first (or last) nite of your stay and then again for the balance. If so, you could purchase the solo nite in order to 'look behind the curtain'. If you're happy with the results purchase the remaining nites, if not, make alternate plans for the balance of your stay.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

• 2 months later...

Just to update this thread.

Have not been successful on priceline bidding so far. I have booked a cancellable room at the Milburn for $189 per nite (free internet and breakfast included). Is this a good rate for a 3-star at this time of the year. Am familiar with the UWS area just not so sure of the hotel. Do you think I could do better on priceline or hotwire, or should I keep my booking. Any comments will help. Many thanks.

Have you only been bidding the 4* level OR have you also tried 3.5* and/or 3*?

Is there a reason you have excluded the MSG and/or MTW zones for your bidding?

What i believe is the 4* Wyndham New Yorker is available for $178/nite for your dates... what may be the 3.5* Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Times Square West is offered at $175/nite.

Would either of these be of interest?

I wonder whether I should now relooked at my NYCstay for 8/31 to 9/8. My cancellable UWS 3* hotel for $189.00 (8 nites - $1779/-) includes free internet and breakfast and the property has some kitchenette facilities which would allow me to prep some simple snacks. Also I like and am familiar with the UWS area.

Do you think I can still possibly get a room (matching or less to my current cancellable reservations) at this time, taking into consideration September is quite a pricey period. I am open to all zones except not the hotels very near to TS. Is the Courtyard right smack in TS?

Again, many thanks in advance.

Yes, i think you can do better, but not likely to have any kitchenette facilities...

Just one example, HOTWIRE has a 3.5* in the MSG zone for $183/nite, believed to be the Yotel Times Square, which has a 4.5/5.0 TA rating... as well as what looks to be the Wyndham New Yorker for $177/nite.

Let us know if you'd like to try to target either of the above, or if you want to try bidding on PRICELINE let us know your desired star rating, maximum bid, and the zone(s) you're willing to accept and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Will give it another go before my hotel cancellaion deadline kicks in.

I assume your hotel can be cancelled up until the next 3-4 weeks or so... are you going to bid again now OR wait until closer to the cancellation deadline?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Using your ONE re-bid zone at the 4* level you can bid as follows:

Select 4* ESB and MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* UWS and MTW...

Select 4* MSG and ESB...

Select 4* ESB and UWS...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Select 4* MSG and MTE...

Select 4* ESB and MTW...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 4* MTE and UWS...

Select 4* MSG and UWS...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, UWS...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, MTW...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, MSG...

Select 4* ESB, UWS, MTW...

Select 4* ESB, MTW, MSG...

Select 4* MTE, UWS, MTW...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, UWS, MTW...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, UWS, MSG...

Select 4* MTW, MSG, ESB, MTE...

Select 4* MTW, MSG, ESB, UWS...

Select 4* ESB, MTE, UWS, MTW, MSG...

Bid $165

If the above is rejected PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4* hotel in the MSG zone for $175/nite (Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Business Center, Fitness Center), but using the code METRO6 takes 5% OFF bringing this down to $166/nite... best guess would be the Wyndham New Yorker.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Just won this hotel and at $140, this is indeed a better deal than my back-up hotel of $189. You really make good your "recommendation". It was quite an easy win - why is it as compared to bidding in April, did new inventory just opened up or was it the new zones that were included?

I have not stayed in this area before, and tripadvisor reports on the property are rather mixed. I have also not seen the hotel being won too often. Nevertheless, I am very happy. Thanks again and have a great summer...

It was quite an easy win - why is it as compared to bidding in April, did new inventory just opened up or was it the new zones that were included?

Congratulations on your success... this is an excellent deal for this time of year. I don't recall rates at the time you originally bid, but i suspect it's a combination of getting lucky with the timing and including additional zones.

I have not stayed in this area before, and tripadvisor reports on the property are rather mixed.

Actually recent reviews have been quite favorable. This property used to be The Tudor hotel and was taken over by Hilton (maybe 2-3 years ago??)... there were some transition issues but with the reviews i'm currently reading it looks like most of that has been resolved. I stayed here for a nite when it was the Tudor Hotel and the rooms were on the larger side for NYC (at least the room i was assigned).

I'm watching this as this is very close to the dates I'm going to NYC.  Anyone have an opinion on the location for this one?

As the dates above are not identical to your own there is little correlation that this is the hotel you were receive if you were to make the same bid. The location is about a 10 minute walk to Grand Central Station (the closest subway), the M42 and M104 stop along 42nd St near the hotel if heading crosstown (or up Broadway). It's a little more east than ideal, but it's certainly do-able, and at this price for this time of year represents an excellent value. For help with your own stay please continue your existing Priceline NYC hotel thread.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]