Priceline Hotel: 3* Chicago (Hyde Park) Chicago Lake Shore Hotel

Dunworkin
By Dunworkin,
in

I am looking to book 2 rooms in Chicago 22,23 Jul either near the downtown or Midway Airport and have found the following places

HOTWIRE EASY VIEW

Magnificent Mile Area - River North 2*  $64US

FULL AMENITIES: Free Parking, Free Internet, Pet friendly, Restaurant(s), Internet access

Midway Airport MDW - Oak Lawn - Alsip 2.5 **  $93 US

FULL AMENITIES: Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom

PRICELINE EXPRESS

2½ Star Hotel in Midway Airport Area (MDW) for C$96/night

Free Breakfast

Free Internet in room

Indoor Swimming Pool

Free Parking

Business Center

Fitness Center

Rated 7.0 out of 10

Thoughts on these places would be appreciated

thanks

AaronJB can comment further, but can i first ask if most of your plans involve 'downtown'... as there quite a few Downtown options at the 3* and even 4* levels for only $10-$20 more than some of the hotels above which would seem to be a better and more convenient choice than commuting every day (and also give you the flexibility to easily return to the hotel mid-day to relax, drop off bags, or freshen up before dinner.

What is your maximum budget per nite for this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The only reason that I would suggest someone stay by MDW is if they were driving and did not want to pay high parking costs or if downtown was VASTLY more expensive. Otherwise, I'd really NOT recommend staying by Midway - there's nothing much around there and it's a definite commute back and forth. If downtown is not much more expensive, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it over staying by Midway.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the quick replies - we are on a baseball trip and will be going to see the White Sox at the front end of the trip and coming back at the end of the trip to see the cubs.  We are flying into Midway and plan to rent a car as we will be going to Milwakee and Minnisota after Chicago.   I was looking in the Midway area to try and avoid hefty parking fees at the downtown places.   I generally try to avoid 4* as I have had too many unpleasant surprises when they charge you for parking, internet, telephone calls etc, etc.   I generally try to get a 2.5-3.5 * place for under $100/night that includes parking and internet.    That said,  if there was something special downtown available in that range, I could live with the parking charge.

Thanks again, love this board.

Have you rented the car yet? I'd consider renting it after you are done in Chicago/on the way out of town - there is no need to have a car while in Chicago - you can take the subway to the game.

I just think that not having a car will free you up to be able to stay downtown without parking cost and staying downtown is - I think - just a LOT more enjoyable.

I often highly recommend the hotels North of downtown for those staying outside the city (great hotels, great areas), but if you're flying into Midway that's not going to be optimal.

As for Wisconsin, I'd recommend stopping at institution the Brat Stop (http://www.bratstop.com/) just over the WI/IL border.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Let us know regarding the rental car (and if you have booked if it can be cancelled without penalty) as this seems to be a deciding factor as to which zones you will likely bid. Seems like a good solution would be to rent a car on your way out of town and return the car upon your arrival... not having a car to park during any of your time while in Chicago.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I like that idea of picking up the car on the day we are heading out and thus saving the hassle of parking downtown.  I have not made any rental car bookings yet so will now focus on staying downtown near the ball fields (or within a short L train ride).   Thanks for you help, will be back I'm sure shortly with some queries about downtown hotels.

cheers

Ok, here is what I found that appears to be downtown and close to US Cellular Field.

Priceline Express Deals.

3 Star Hotel in Hyde Park Area for C$79/night

Amenities: 

Free Internet in room
    Outdoor Swimming Pool
    Free Parking

Restaurant
    Business Center
    Fitness Center

Hotwire Easy View

2.5* South Chicago - Hyde Park $90

FULL AMENITIES: Free Parking, Free Internet, Pet friendly, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Self service laundry, Internet access

I think the priceline deal looks very good so await your thoughts.

thanks

Can you please clarify if this is a one nite stay Jul 22-23 OR a two nite stay of July 22-24... we'll then replicate your search and have a look at these offers.

Also, please change your currency settings for each service and post to the board in US Dollars so that all board posts are consistent and avoids any confusion. (ie- with the mixed currency above hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison of each property)

This came up as a 3* in the Hyde Park area and it was much cheaper than anything else around the downtown Chicago area.  It was correctly guessed by Thereyouare and I have booked it.  It looks ok from the website but seems to be a bit run down from the Trip advisor comments.  I will let folks know what it turned out to be like once we have stayed.   Thanks for your help

Congratulations on your success!

Nice to see you received the hotel guessed and that this should work for your needs and budget.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and helping us add this property to the Priceline Express Hotel List.

Enjoy your stay.

This used to be a Ramada property but looks to have turned independent recently. I'll note that you're an easy drive to the Museum of Science and Industry, which is fun if you're looking for something nearby (couple of minutes drive South.) I'd try to taxi or drive to Sox Park.

Enjoy your stay.

• 3 months later...

Not sure how this hotel has maintained a 3* rating as it is nowhere close.   The advantages it offered were:  Close to US Cellular Field, free parking, and a free shuttle that would get you downtown and back twice a day.   It is under renovation and really needs it but there was dust and dirt everywhere and even though we got renovated rooms they still had no toilet paper or towel holders in the bathroom, some of the plugs in the room didn't work and the WIFI was too weak in both of our two rooms to allow us to connect.   The restaurant next door is ok but in Chicago there are always great options.   It served the purpose at the start of our trip but overall this was a disappointing stay.

Sorry to hear this one didn't live up to your expectations for a 3 star hotel, but hopefully things will improve once the renovations are complete and they'll be able to focus more on the various service(s) and attention to detail that often 'make or break' a hotel stay.

Thanks again for the follow-up(s).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]