Any MOA hotel that typically gives two beds?

Happygirl02
By Happygirl02,
in

I realize that with Priceline there is only a double occupancy guarantee and with Hotwire, the second bed may only be a pullout sofa.  I'm looking to hear if anyone has experience with Mall of America area typically giving a two bed room?  Or if there is a hotel at MOA that has been fine with upgrading to two beds in the past?  Any advice would be helpful as I feel my current booking (coming up in two days) for $114 per night at Hilton is way too much money!  I would love to bid on something but need feedback on the room as I'm travelling with hubby and two kids.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You can't use PRICELINE this way since you can't bid on or avoid a specific hotel when using PRICELINE You have to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) you select.

And even if some previous guests got lucky with an upgrade is there no guarantee that you'll get one.

It sounds like HOTWIRE is the best way for you to go so you get what you need without any trouble if they have any inventory.

We would be happy to try to ID any hotel for you. Please list the amenities, star rating, zone, dates and the price HOTWIRE associates with the hotel you're looking at and we'll have a look at this.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchases and searches.

Yellowdog.

Looking at Bloomington East - Mall of America Area.  3.5 starts listing for $74 (regular $118+)

Dates: April 3-5, 2 adults/2 kids.

Amenities showing are:

free parking, free internet, indoor pool(s), airport shuttle, smoke free rooms, fitness centre, pool(s), restaurant, business centre

I believe there are more amenities then what you have posted above as HOTWIRE has a new interface that does not show the complete set of amenities unless you click thru a few extra links.

If you repeat your search using our BiddingHelper.com tool... use the HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab and then click the GREEN BUTTON next to this listing, do you see more amenities then what you have listed above?

This is what i'm seeing for the 3.5* hotel in this zone when searching 2a/2c for your dates:

Free Parking

Free Internet

Indoor Pool

Shuttle

Smoke Free

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

If this is what you're seeing, my best guess for this property would be an upgrade of the Crowne Plaza Minneapolis Airport-Mall Of America since the last time it was reported to the board. (and should my guess be wrong, at least it should still be a 'good' hotel based upon the 4.0/5.0 TA rating)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you - yes, it looks like I'm viewing that same property.  I have a couple of questions for you!  If I am content with anything similar to that hotel, would I not be better to bid on price line even though there is no guarantee of rooms?  I see that any of those hotels that are listed in the "typical hotels in this category" have either a king bed WITH a sofa or 2 doubles.  Either of which would suit our family.  On Hotwire the best price for these hotels is $72/74 yet on Priceline it seems that most of these are accepting bids closer to $56.

Second question: if my preference would actually be for a hotel such as Comfort Inn & Suites or any of the Marriot Suites groups of hotels such as Springhill, Courtyard,  Residence Inn, etc… would I be better to select a 3 star?  Is that the most typical hotels for a 3 star?

Sorry for all the questions!  I'm new to this but really want to learn the system.

If I am content with anything similar to that hotel, would I not be better to bid on PRICELINE even though there is no guarantee of rooms?

PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE, but you can't assure sleeping accommodations for everyone... it's a risk that you will need to decide if you're willing to take for ~$15-$20/nite savings (based upon your numbers and expected winning bid price)

I see that any of those hotels that are listed in the "typical hotels in this category" have either a king bed WITH a sofa or 2 doubles.  Either of which would suit our family.  On Hotwire the best price for these hotels is $72/74 yet on Priceline it seems that most of these are accepting bids closer to $56.

Just because a hotel has rooms that would accommodate your family doesn't mean that they will necessarily be able, or willing, to assign you one of these rooms. If you book for double occupancy and a hotel assigns you a room with only one bed, and it is less than a King size, they are certainly within their rights/terms of their agreement since all that is guaranteed is a room that will accommodate double occupancy. As well, at some hotels rooms with two beds costs more than a room with only one bed, or quad occupancy can cost more than double occupancy, so these are possible issues you could encounter if you decide to bidding on PRICELINE. I suspect risks would be lower in Minneapolis vs. if you were traveling to NYC (where rooms are notoriously small and a high percentage of room only have one bed), and the risk in Minneapolis greater than Orlando (which is used to accommodating families and therefore a higher percentage of rooms have two beds), but it's still a risk that you'll need to decide if the potential savings are worth it to your family.

Second question: if my preference would actually be for a hotel such as Comfort Inn & Suites or any of the Marriot Suites groups of hotels such as Springhill, Courtyard,  Residence Inn, etc… would I be better to select a 3 star?  Is that the most typical hotels for a 3 star?

You can see all hotels reported to the board in the corresponding Priceline Hotel List and Hotwire Hotel List (and note the comments at the top of each hotel list). However, note that when you bid on PRICELINE the star rating you choose is the minimum that you're willing to accept and your 3* bid could always be upgraded to a higher rated hotel (if one is available at the price you set)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you scroll clear to the end of this site you will find Hotel Reviews.  It is organized alphabetically by state, and one of the first posts will let you select "M" and jump to the M states.  Then you can browse the reviews of Minnesota hotels people have received and reported here.  It might give you some further answers to your questions, and some more insight as to what you might receive.  

And just in case you aren't familiar with it, you can get all sorts of wonderful hotel detail on www.tripadvisor.com.  Including reviews, although the ones here also have the slightly different perspective of having gotten a bargain rate.  

Do watch the dates on the reviews though, as the older ones might be fussing about things a hotel has corrected more recently.  

And of course take them with the proverbial "grain of salt".  There just ain't no pleasing some folks.

Most of the hotels in the area operate shuttle service both to the MOA and to the airport.  Also, once you are at the MOA, you can ride the light rail clear to downtown Minneapolis.  There is an IKEA within a slightly challenging walk from the MOA.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]