LAX/BUR/LGB to MBS/FNT

cnwanyanwu
By cnwanyanwu,
in

Hello to all! First off, this site is incredible and thank you all for your help in advance. I apologize for the range of dates and airports, but I do have the flexibility so I'm most concerned about the getting the best price

I'm looking to book a flight from LAX to MBS (most ideal). I can also fly from nearby airports BUR and LGB. Also, flying into FNT is an option if MBS is too expensive. My dates of travel are 05/06-08 and returning 05/27-29.

Best price to MBS is $368. Best price to FNT is $318 ($413 w/ Southwest - no baggage fees). My questions are...

How soon should I start bidding on airline prices? I've heard the later it is, the better since airlines will try to fill empty seats. However, I don't want to miss out on a regular fare deal if my bids aren't accepted.

Also, how low can one REALLY go? I did read a post a few years back of someone getting a Priceline ticket from LGB to LAX for $70 which is AMAZING...I definitely wouldn't mind going for that price. What price should I start out with?

I believe those are my questions for now...your advice is appreciated and feel free to provide input on any questions I may have not thought to ask. Thank you again!

Welcome to BetterBidding! (and thanks for the compliments on the site)

How soon should I start bidding on airline prices? I've heard the later it is, the better since airlines will try to fill empty seats.

Not necessarily... walk up to a ticket counter and try to get on a plane that is leaving in just a few hours. Even if the airline has empty seats on the flight, the price will likely be 3x-5x what it cost if you had booked a month or two in advance. Also, with capacity reduced over the last few years (fewer flights) there are far less empty seats in each flight than there used to be.

Given the current airfares you're seeing, how much of a discount would you need to make an 'opaque' purchase worthwhile (given you can't choose the airline, flight times, layover city, length of layover, agree to up to one connection, etc)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your quick reply!

Hrmm...I've always heard about buying at the counter a few hours before departure, but have never done that. Is that better than doing a Priceline Name Your Own Price bid?

Based on those prices, if I could score a ticket for $125-150, that'll be great. I have to remember to add about $50 for booking fees, then about $70 for luggage.

Not necessarily... walk up to a ticket counter and try to get on a plane that is leaving in just a few hours. Even if the airline has empty seats on the flight, the price will likely be 3x-5x what it cost if you had booked a month or two in advance.

Hrmm...I've always heard about buying at the counter a few hours before departure, but have never done that. Is that better than doing a Priceline Name Your Own Price bid?

Re-read my reply above... walking up to the counter a few hours (or a day or two) before your flight usually results in the MOST EXPENSIVE fares.

Based on those prices, if I could score a ticket for $125-150, that'll be great.

Due to the lower capacity referenced above, deals on aifare do occur, but they are far and few between. Using the technique provided here, Priceline Airfare Re-Bidding (in particular see the second post), you have an almost unlimited number of re-bids when bidding on airfare... you should start somewhere in the $75 area and increase your bids $5-$10 per re-bid until your hit your maximum $125 bid amount.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]