Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Central Park South) Renaissance Hotel 57

DouggyD
By DouggyD,
in

Looking for help bidding on a hotel on Priceline for NYC May 16-18, 2014 for me and my wife. We will be in town for a friend's wedding which is in the upper east side (E 65th Ave and Park Ave) and want a hotel fairly close. We won't have much time for touring around this trip, but my wife would also like a few hours to shop and maybe catch a show in the evening. I bid on 3.5 * + in Midtown East and Upper East Side at $150 + taxes and fees and did not have any luck. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is an expensive time of year in NYC and at current rates i don't think $150 is realistic for a 3.5* or better hotel in this zone... i think you're more likely looking in the ~$200 area.

Are there other zones you're willing to accept and/or willing to raise your budget or lower your star rating?

I would think that any place on the east side would still make it easy for you to get to the wedding (take the 4-5-6 train straight up... and taxi home at nite if you'd like) and better to spend $10-$15 in transportation costs than an extra $50 per nite on a hotel room. ;)

However, you know your needs best so let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Express deals or hotwire are showing around $220/night, so I would want less than that, maybe up to $175. Do you think prices will go up further or may go down closer to the time? What other zones would you suggest adding. I have seen lots of other winning bids for these zones at the same star rating go for this rate, but on different dates.

P.S. any discounts for express rate hotels? 10% off $220 would be tempting...

MTE and ESB should both work well for your plans if you're looking to travel via subway to the wedding (not sure how dressed up you will be or if you're open to subway travel)... if taking a taxi then TS, MTW, and even possibly MSG could be considered as well (MSG might cost you about $15-$20 to 65th and Park, depending upon traffic)

There is no way to know if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip, it's all based upon supply/demand and how actual new reservations and cancellations come in relative to expected new reservations/cancellations. Since this is an 'unknown' not even hotels know if they will ultimately need to raise or lower rates, although they do have a lot of history that they use in order to predict the demand for any given set of dates (and they have gotten relatively good at it). However, currently i think $175 would be near the low end of the range of what would likely be accepted, with a good chance it will take a bit more closer to the $200 mark.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we will take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I checked with the wife and definitely the closer the better. No subway. Willing to add Midtown West and Times Square and Central Park South, but don't want to go further than that.

MTE and ESB would still be good choices, imo, if traveling by taxi.. usually traveling North/South in the city isn't the issue (except near the bridges and tunnels), it's crosstown that can more often then not be a nightmare, so i think any of these zones would get you 'close enough': UES, MTW, TS, MTE, ESB, CPS

ALSO, while CPS will get you close enough, you may want to avoid this zone as it contains the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards), so you'll need to decide if this would be an issue for you or not and if you want to include this zone in your bidding.

ALSO, if you're cabbing it to other locations in the city (ie- shopping) then MTE can be up to a 10+ minute walk to the subway depending upon the hotel you win, but getting a taxi shouldn't be an issue if that is how you intend on traveling around the city.

Lastly, is the goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay... or did you want to first try for a 4* up to your limit, then if rejected try at the 3.5* level?

Please confirm your thoughts on the above and we'll advise accordingly.

MTE and ESB would still be good choices, imo, if traveling by taxi.. usually traveling North/South in the city isn't the issue (except near the bridges and tunnels), it's crosstown that can more often then not be a nightmare, so i think any of these zones would get you 'close enough': UES, MTW, TS, MTE, ESB, CPS

ALSO, while CPS will get you close enough, you may want to avoid this zone as it contains the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards), so you'll need to decide if this would be an issue for you or not and if you want to include this zone in your bidding.

ALSO, if you're cabbing it to other locations in the city (ie- shopping) then MTE can be up to a 10+ minute walk to the subway depending upon the hotel you win, but getting a taxi shouldn't be an issue if that is how you intend on traveling around the city.

Lastly, is the goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay... or did you want to first try for a 4* up to your limit, then if rejected try at the 3.5* level?

Please confirm your thoughts on the above and we'll advise accordingly.

UES & MTE are my first choices, I bid up to $178 for 3.5*+ for the following zones: UES, MTW, TS, MTE, CPS and was rejected. I guess I could add ESB, but if I end up in the southern portion of this zone, it is pretty far... Basically, the goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay within these zones. Obviously 4* is preferable, but doesn't look like it is achievable under $200. What star rating is the Hudson Hotel? Not too concerned if that is what we end up with, but seems like there may be better options. Thanks for all your help!

I continued bidding up from $150 for 3.5*+ for the following zones: UES, MTW, TS, MTE, CPS and was finally successful at $200. Got the Renaissance Hotel 57 which I am very happy with based on the location and reviews, plus it is actually a 4* even though my bid included 3.5* hotels. Thanks for the help.

I did use the PRICELINE links provided here.

THANKS!! :)

Nice to see that this location should work out perfectly for your plans.

You're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Have a great trip and have fun at the wedding.

• 3 weeks later...

OK Thanks a lot - I got a NYC PRICELINE EXPRESS hotel deal for May 28th to June 1st $121 for 3,5* (Boutique Grand Central) - end of Mai it seems to be easier again....

Your win was an excellent deal and an anomaly... if you look at current PRICELINE EXPRESS rates for your dates (just 10 days after your purchase) the least expensive 3.5* or better in midtown starts at $198/nite.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]