Priceline Hotel: Priceline or Hotwire for Denver Downtown Hotel 4/4-4/6/14

roaming_jane
By roaming_jane,
in

Hello.  I haven't used the site in awhile and I feel a bit rusty.  I am going to Denver with a friend to attend a Rockies baseball game.  We are staying 4/4/14-4/6/14.  We want to stay downtown so that we can walk everywhere especially to the stadium (even if it's a long walk by some standards).  We can pay up to $150 per night but it is important to get two beds in the room and 4* or better would be great.  I see in the betterbidding hotel lists that there are quite a few boutique hotels and those are usually smaller rooms with one bed- is that a correct assumption?   

Generally, advice is appreciated on whether to use Priceline or Hotwire for this purchase.  I see in priceline that there are 11 bidding areas with 3.5 or below (7 with 3* or below) so there would be a lot of flexibility there in submitting bids...again, I'm nervous about getting a room that only has one bed.

Thanks for any help you can offer.   And I've used the links to begin my investigations and will to complete my purchase. 

Thank you!

roaming_jane

Welcome back to the board. :)

Few issues to cover:

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request.

With HOTWIRE you can search for up to quad occupancy which should ensure separate sleeping accommodations for you and your friend, but while this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc. Would this be acceptable?

When bidding on PRICELINE you need to accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundaries of the zone, same with HOTWIRE, but with HOTWIRE you can often take a guess as to what you may receive based upon the amenities shown before your purchase (and therefore have a guess as to the location). Not sure if the Downtown zone for each is considered to be walking distance to the game.

You can also try our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com which will show you hotels near almost any address in the world. You can search within a 1 mile (or 3 mile radius depending just how far you're willing to walk) and easily see how much more/less it would cost to go up/down in star rating or to stay closer/further for your ideal location. I am seeing this Residence Inn which appears to be very close, offers a free breakfast, and is within your budget at $139/nite for your dates, should this be of any interest.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed response.  The cobwebs have lifted from my brain and I remember your general information posts now explaining the double occupancy thing.  Thanks for restating it.  I too saw the Residence Inn on PRICELINE.com and thought that was a pretty good deal and great for walking to and from the game.  I will run that location by my friend.  Thanks for the tip about your sister site as well. 

As ever, the site is awesome.

roaming_jane

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response.  The day you answered with the Residence Inn recommendation, I clicked the link and booked the hotel for $139 a night- with fees and taxes $158 per night.  I am happy with that....knowing there is a sofa bed and a regular bed in the room.  Also, the free breakfast is going to be great!  Thank you for the advice.  I wouldn't have moved that quickly without it. 

Also, the nice thing is that it can be cancelled by April 1st if necessary.  I think I will let it ride....but it can't hurt to look around a little via betterbidding...... I'm getting hooked again!

Thanks for a great site.

roaming_jane 

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]