Priceline Hotel: Brand New Bidder - help with strategy

Beauts
By Beauts,
in

Good day everyone!!

My husband, 1 year old son and myself are spending 3 night in NYC mid March. I would like a 4+ hotel in the Times Square area and I am hoping to not spend more than 160 a night (I know, not asking much but we would be getting the $5/day cancellation for sure so that is an extra $15 right off the bat). We will be doing a lot of walking so it is important to be close to all of the action. Midtown West would work too. Is $160 or less unattainable? The cheaper, the better, obviously.

I am brand new at this so I am wondering if any of you could find it in your heart to help me out with a proper strategy?

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks SO much in advance!!

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

A few notes/issues.

* The cancellation is not if you decide not to go. It really is for "doctor's note" or other, similar level situations (all in the fine print.)

* Midtown West is a nice area, but personally I'd suggest not staying in TS. It's a hectic, busy area and generally the most expensive of the zone/s in the city. Midtown East is very nice, as well, although a couple of the hotels in that zone are towards the far East boundary of the zone (and therefore, probably something better done via HOTWIRE where a hotel can be guessed at/an ID attempted.

Times Square is arguably the most popular/well-known area, but personally, when I've gone, I don't find myself spending all that much time there - I just think there's so much to do all over the city. Definitely a lot of walking.

* Is your desired budget $160 per night "all-in" (including taxes/fees) or $160 + taxes/fees?

Also, what are your exact date/s of travel?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for responding!

The only reason we would be cancelling would be if one of us were sick (my son, more specifically as an ear infection will keep up from flying and we are in Canada) so the cancellation terms wouldn't be a problem.

I understand your opinion on TS and have read that it is very hectic. We plan on purchasing the "hop on/hop off" plan on the Grey Line double decker so that will help cut down on some walking but seems DH has his heart set on Midtown West.

I would say we could pay $160 PLUS the taxes/fees if need be...we aren't really bound by a budget per se, we just want the best deal possible. We are flying in on Fri March 14th and board our cruise ship on Monday, March 17th.

Thanks so much for your help :)

If you haven't yet, please start by reading your messages.

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. Is this a risk you're willing to accept?

HOTWIRE may be a better option for you for this trip as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc). Sometimes the price goes up (especially in NYC) when searching for more than double occupancy, BUT you may be able to still search for double occupancy if using HOTWIRE...

While HOTWIRE asks for the number of adults/children, they define children as age 2-17 years, so if you search for only 2adults/0children you would still be within their terms. You could then call the hotel you receive and let them know about the child and what bedding is available... if any issue you can then call HOTWIRE and have them assist (or if the hotel is unwilling i suspect they would be willing to cancel the non-refundable reservation since you DID search within their stated terms).

What star rating is it that you're seeking for this trip? Let us know your thoughts regarding which service you think is better for your situation this trip and we'll advise further.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Good morning!

I did read my messages and understand. Thanks!

I don't know what would be best for me as all I need for my son is a Pack n Play (or crib). I would assume that this can be added to any room, even if we have one bed and one bed is all we need. However, it is very important that we get the crib. This would require a phone call direct to the hotel we win and we would have to do this either way (priceline or hotwire). I am looking for a 4 star. Seems most of the hotels are chains, so I would think that getting a crib at any of them wouldn't be a problem but there may be an extra charge when we get there, so I would like to get the best deal on the room to make up for the possibility of a crib charge.

Am I making any sense here? BAD night with the little one....

Many of the hotels are chains, but quite a few are not. You may want to avoid certain bids. For example, the Hudson is a 4* in the CPS area. The rooms are tiny and one bed is even a tight fit in the rooms (which are about 125-135 sq ft). The Roosevelt in MTE is also another possibility with smaller-than-average (even for NYC, where rooms are small in general.) The OneUN in MTE is a 4* at the very East border of the zone. Not an issue from a hotel standpoint, but somewhat out of the way. Overall, prepare for the possibility of a very small room, although the Hudson and Roosevelt are particularly noteworthy.

If you are focused on MTW/TS, I think you are likely looking more towards the top end of your desired budget (a $140-160 win, although probably more towards the higher end of that range - I'd start lower, at $125 and work higher by $5's using re-bidding. Please let us know if you have any questions regarding re-bidding before attempting to make a purchase.)

Looking elsewhere, it's in ESB, but HOTWIRE does have what appears to be the St Giles for $146 as well as potentially the Doubletree Met for $140 (Midtown East.) While not your desired area, let us know if either of these are of any interest.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Yes, I think we would like to stick with MTE/TS. So, I will start bidding at 125 and go up by 5 as you said.

As far as re-bidding, how long to I have to wait before trying again? Do I have to wait for the "you may bid again" email (and of course, come back and use the PRICELINE link on this site to do that) or is there anyway of re-bidding faster? I really want to get this hotel booked as quickly as possible. Thanks for your help!

Above you mention bidding MTE and TS, but earlier you mentioned MTW and TS... can you please confirm which it is that you intend to bid, as the bidding strategy would be slightly different for each (since i believe MTE will be a little cheaper than MTW)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* TS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* MTW and TS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions (especially regarding re-bidding if you're new to the subject) feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I just followed the strategy and no luck. Now what? Repeat the whole process in 24hrs? Do I increase the bids? Thanks for your help!

If you want to try to lock something in sooner, you could try again in 24 hours and increase bids, trying up to $160 instead of $150. I wouldn't try again up to $150 in 24 hours. If you did not want to increase bids, I'd try maybe every 2-3 days. I continue to think that you're not far off, but it may take as much as $165-170. Hopefully $155-160 will be enough.

Haven't decided yet but I think what I will do is increase bids. I am a planner, so I would rather spend a little extra and know I have a room them try with the same bids every few days and have this drag on for the next few weeks.

If I follow the same strategy but start $10 higher, would that be a good plan?

If I'm out of line here, I'm sure Thereuare will let me know.

Why not book the Marriott Eastside for $133/nite for your dates via Lastminutetravel.com Club. If you are not a Club member, just call and they will give you the Club price. The booking is cancellable up to 3 days prior to checkin, and you can keep bidding lower on Priceline and see if you get lucky.

Good luck.

The distance between MTE and MTW/TS is negligible either walking or public transportation. The Marriott is a couple blocks from Grand Central, a major hub for subway and buses.

The Marriott Eastside is a fine property...I've stayed there before, and would recommend it to anyone venturing to NY.

The Lastminutetravel.com website doesn't always show properties, but the Club side does. As I said before, you can just call them and ask for the Club price. You already said you were planning on getting insurance, as useful/useless it might be, but it sure is nice not to tie up an uncancellable reservation to a trip. The LMT booking is cancelllable up to three days before checkin, and you can keep bidding in the mean time.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]