hotwire exaggerated savings

travel711
By travel711,
in

I recently booked a hotel room through hotwire for $106, and the website indicated a 67% savings, $213 off the standard price of $319

After booking I found out the Hotel itself only charges $125, this was an actual savings of $19 or 14%.

I spoke to hotwire who said the standard price was not of the actual hotel itself but a median price.

I explained to them, the website specifically claimed 67% off the standard price.

They know the name of the Hotel and they know the standard price so they knowingly misrepresented the savings by 478%.

Has anyone else found similar exaggerated savings ?

The crossed out rate is not for the specific hotel offered, but for the average rate of hotels at that star rating and in that zone.

On the HOTWIRE website:

Savings based on median published rate we've found on leading retail travel sites in the last 24-48 hours for the same neighborhood, star rating, and stay dates.

Feel free to ask for help before your next opaque purchase and we will try to help in obtaining a more favorable outcome.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes its not a guaranteed or even suggested savings, but just an implied savings.

they imply a savings for each individual hotel offered.

This is very deceitful as they know the actual rate of the hotel.

In the case of The Trump International in Las Vegas, if they advertised the TRUE savings of

14% for an unknown hotel with no chance of cancelling, no one would book.

It is illegal to do this according to the FTC website.

I'll see what they think of Hotwire doing it.

Re-read the quote above... it is an actual savings vs. the average retail rates of hotels of that star rating in the zone. So for your purchase the average rate may have been derived from retail rates at one or more of the following: Wynn, Venetian, Trump, Encore, Palazzo, etc, etc.

I do understand your misinterpretation of what the figure represents, but HOTWIRE indicates on their website the calculation/source of the figure they are using, so they are probably in the clear.

Good luck.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well its not MY misinterpretation, its what hotwire implies, and they imply a 67% savings.

I haven't misinterpreted anything, I have been deceived, big difference.

They don't have to derive a savings from the average, all they have to do is look at the standard rate of the hotel they

are offering and post that savings, by picking an average of higher priced hotels it is misleading, and it is only their interpretation

of a 5 star hotel.

I checked BBB complaints and this is a common complaint with Hotwire, too bad I hadn't checked before.

Thanks for your interest.

• 4 months later...

While i understand the confusion, i will re-iterate:

The crossed out rate is not for the specific hotel offered, but for the average rate of hotels at that star rating and in that zone.

On the HOTWIRE website:

Savings based on median published rate we've found on leading retail travel sites in the last 24-48 hours for the same neighborhood, star rating, and stay dates.

• 8 months later...

Thereuare,

If HOTWIRE is posting an average rate for 4* or 5* hotels in that zone, why are the rates (quoted rates which the hotwire derives the discount percentage) for the same zone/* rating often vastly different?

I'm looking at 2 a 4 1/2 star properties same dates/same zone - One is quoted at $216 "normally:" and the other $135.

I often try to use this along with TA ratings (if provided) to zero in the property.   I'm often wrong when I do this but there is not much else you can do in data poor areas.

Pegleg

I'm not sure how Hot.wire compiles prices for averages, but keep in mind that a star rating for a particular hotel can vary from service-to-service (I've seen on more than a few occasions a particular hotel be listed as three different star ratings on three different services.) The "average price" that Hot.wire lists is not a reliable indicator of a particular property or properties. We would be happy to assist and try to ID any listings, we just need star rating, price per night, zone, full list of amenities and date/s of travel.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

If HOTWIRE is posting an average rate for 4* or 5* hotels in that zone, why are the rates (quoted rates which the hotwire derives the discount percentage) for the same zone/* rating often vastly different?

Although the same star rating, each may have a different attribute associated with it it (Boutique, Resort, 'regular' Hotel, All-Inclusive, etc, etc). When computing the average retail rates for comparison, HOTWIRE uses a different universe of hotels to determine the 'Boutique' hotel, the 'Resort' hotel, the 'regular' hotel, etc, etc (ie- only Boutique properties are used to compute the comparison retail rate for the boutique property, only Resort hotels are used to computer the comparison retail rate for the resort property, etc, etc)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]