Priceline Hotel: 3* Madison (East) Crowne Plaza Madison

Shoob
By Shoob,
in

Hey guys,

I poted about the continuation of this trip in the Minneapolis section. Anyways, for Madison, we'll be there for the night. I was hoping I could try for a 3.5* in the $60 to $70 range... doable? I'd like to start bidding by this evening, so please let me know how I should proceed! I see that there is a 3.5* for $101 in the Express Deals. A bit high for what I want... so I'd drop down to 3* in that case to pay less... but i'd definitely like to shoot for 3.5* first. Hope to hear back soon!

Thanks in advance!

-Shoob

If you are just passing through, you might take a look at the HOTWIRE offers. Middleton and the airport both have some pretty reasonable ones, and will give you a general idea as to what might work with PL bidding.

Middleton sports the National Mustard Museum and the Capitol City Brewery.

In the broader area Duluth Trading Company has their flagship store in Mt. Horeb, and their outlet in Belleville (my personal favorite).

And Frank Lloyd Wright designs all over.

Romelle

Devil's Lake State Park and the smaller Pewitt's Nest (Pewitt's: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g59686-d2208846-Reviews-Pewit_s_Nest_Gorge-Baraboo_Wisconsin.html) are gorgeous natural areas not far North of Madison. The Madison Farmer's Market on Saturday's is also GIANT (http://madisonfarmersmarket.com/)

The other note is that some of the hotels in the downtown area do charge for parking, so that is a factor to consider, especially if you are largely passing through.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Once again, guys, THANK YOU so much for the prompt reply. The ideas really help... but I think we know some of what we plan to do there this time. Last time we went to Madison, Obama came to town (this was literally two days before his last election), so we couldn't see the state capitol building from inside. So we plan to go there for a tour followed by lunch at The Old Fashioned. After that, maybe some shopping (and not sure how long that Farmer's Market is, but we might like to check that out... thanks for the idea, Aaron!). And that Mustard Museum sound interesting, too...

But in any case, last time we went (literally a year ago), we stayed at the Clarion (or some name similar to that) and it was decent... but just outside of the main downtown area. Didn't mind it, but maybe Downtown stay would be better. 3.5* is what I'd like if possible at around the price I stated earlier. I hear that parking is free from 6pm in Madison... but starts up again at 6am. No problem... I don't mind paying a couple hours worth of parking. Not sure if this helps... but I do know we'd like to be closer to the capitol building than farther away. Again, thanks a lot!!!

So 3.5* in the Downtown zone with a maximum bid of $70/nite? If this is correct...

When bidding 3.5* in this region you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* Downtown...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I didn't win with that. I definitely will not go over that budget since this is literally a one night stop; I'm more willing to spend higher on a hotel in Minneapolis than here.

So... do you think I should go ahead and re-bid the same strategy after the 24 hour mark and hope that something will change? Or should I just drop down to the 3* level? In case I do drop down to 3*, I see that there is one on Express that's $62... so my assumption is that I could start at a much lower price point for 3*. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks again!

If you do bid the 3* level, do remember to check your free re-bid zones again. There are only three (3) right now at that level.

Members have reported the Clarion and Hyatt Place for successful 3* bids, although of course there is always the chance of getting something not yet reported.

I doubt you could start at a "....much lower price point for 3*" and be successful, but maybe $10? Work up. $52, $55, $58, $60. Then accept the Express deal at $62 if you didn't get a hit.

Maybe check first before bidding to make sure the Express deal is still there. They come and go.

However, if you bid at the 3* level, that will reset the 24 hour clock for the 3.5*s too. So you could wait out the current 24 hours and try the 4* pattern again. If you aren't successful, you could get out of Priceline, come back in again and then try the 3* bidding.

Disclaimer again, although you may already remember - I'm a member, not a board official.

Romelle

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move even higher, between now and your arrival date. Based upon current prices i suspect you're still a good $10-$20 away from a win for this nite, so you'll need to determine if you want to lock something in now at the 3* level OR wait it out and hope for lower rates in the days ahead at the 3.5* level.

While you can often get a better deal by bidding vs. PRICELINE EXPRESS, i wouldn't expect it to be that much lower, especially with the 5% OFF discount linked in my signature (which means that you shouldn't bid higher than $59 ($62 - 5% OFF))

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Nope... just a case of "two heads are better than one" :)

Hey guys,

Romelle thanks! And yes, I do remember who you are. I'm taking the advice you gave me before about trying to figure out gems in any given city :)

Thereuare, I'll take the gamble and try again tonight... if I'm not successful, I'll try @ the 3* level. If nothing works out, I'll shoot for a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal. In any case, I'll keep you guys updated!

Thanks again...

PS Romelle what was it that you didn't say that Thereuare remembered? I'm curious... Apparently I don't see it.

Okay guys, so I couldn't win even at the 3* level. And apparently that $62 Express deal is gone now, lol; in fact it doesn't look like any good deal is available on there right now. Any suggestions? Should I just settle for something outside of Downtown, then? I bid up to $60 at the 3* level. My wife could rebid for us from work today, so any help would be appreciated!

I think it's a question of how much it's worth to you to stay downtown vs. increase your bid vs. lower your star rating... which other zones will you be 'passing through' and still be close to your current route?

If you do add zones you need not worry about the 24 hour lock-out since you will be including new zones which is one of the criteria that allows you to bid again immediately... if your wife does do any bidding please ask her to stop by the board first and click our links at the top of the board (she can use the search box on the top right, the logo within it is clickable, or our BiddingHelper.com) to begin her attempts.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Okay... let's see... I still want Downtown, but if that's not working out, I suppose Madison East is a zone I could consider. It's just that the hotels are about 20-30 minutes from where we want to go (capitol building, U-W campus area, etc).

We'll be going there on Friday night, and then again on Saturday morning before leaving for MN, so driving back and forth from the hotel that distance (about 10 miles) does add up. Thoughts? Oh, and my wife knows the drill as far as bidding when we use your help :) We love this site and all the help we get from you guys. Thanks again for that!!!

I'm seeing what I'm guessing may be the Crowne Plaza for $53 on Express Deals, plus FALL5 takes 5% off. I'm guessing you could get a 3* in the Madison East zone for $37-44 (it may not be the Crowne Plaza, it may be something else.)

It becomes whether or not paying more for downtown is worth the convenience of being downtown vs in the East area. Unfortunately, rates are on the higher side for these date/s in the downtown area.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

.... Hope all is well with you, by the way.

Thanks for asking. All is so well with me that I'm headed off to Istanbul today for a couple weeks. So I might not be able to participate further in your Madison and Minneapolis quests. I'm sure you and your wife and thereuare and Aaronjb will manage quite nicely without me though.

Good luck on your finals.

A couple final notes:

If you are driving from Minneapolis toward Madison and pick up 12 in the Wisconsin Dells area you will pass right through that Middleton zone. Might be a reason for considering that zone. Kind of a cornfield, pretty farm, apple/wine/cheese route.

The Priceline Express deals to tend to come and go fairly often. Might be worth checking during study breaks.

Romelle

Istanbul! Nice! That'll be a fun trip, I'm sure. I've friends from there (some of my family lives not far from there), and well, it's simply a great place to be this time of year. Enjoy yourself.

And Madison... well, we're stopping in Madison on Friday night and mid-day Saturday, we will drive to Minneapolis, so if anything, I'd pick to stay in Madison East instead (so we're not back-tracking). Hopefully I see a nice downtown Express deal sometime today! And thanks for the well-wishes for upcoming test... tough stuff, but has to get done!

Have a safe trip.

There is currently a 3* Downtown PRICELINE EXPRESS offer for $89/nite (less 5% OFF):

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

Indoor Pool

Free Parking

Pets Allowed

Airport Shuttle

Business Center

Fitness Center

Note it has Free Parking and Free Breakfast... perhaps these, and the convenience of Downtown, could justify the higher expense? I'm not certain but my guess for this one would be the Clarion Suites Of Madison.

Let us know what you decide and keep us updated on your progress.

Confirm the dates are correct on the landing page of each of the links below:

Here is a link to the current 3 star property offered (which i believe is different than the previously 3* hotel above, even though the amenities are the same):

3 star hotel at $92/nite

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

Indoor Pool

Free Parking

Restaurant

Business Center

Fitness Center

... my guess for this one would be the Best Western Plus Inntowner and The Highland Club.

HOWEVER, there is now a 3.5* hotel offered for $83/nite with:

Free Internet

Indoor Pool

Free Parking

Pets Allowed

Restaurant

Airport Shuttle

Fitness Center

3.5 star property for $83/nite (i'm guessing the Sheraton)

You can of course use the discount code linked in my signature to apply 5% OFF of each of these.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Thanks for all the help. After talking about it, the $80-90 range was unnecessarily out of our budget so we decided to try for Madison East. After toying with it for a while, I saw the $51 room in Madison East and bid in small increments towards it.

I won at $43 at the Crowne Plaza Madison (East). Doesn't look like a bad drive from there to Downtown (5.5 miles) :)

Again... THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP! And as always... used your PRICELINE link each time ;) Now on to the MN hotel.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you found something within your budget that appears to work well for your plans.

I guess you're one day late to partake in Madison's Halloween parties as i believe it's one of the largest parties of the year around the college campus.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]